Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Partial sets/starter sets/ lots: worth the hassle???

Just wondered what folks thought about buying a partial set or lot when attempting to make a set. Let's assume that you can get to within 80-90% set completion with one or two purchases.

Is it worth it to buy several lots trying to make a set?. Is this method cheaper than buying a complete set? Can you sell off the doubles and break even??

Thanks for the input.
Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a big (actually huge) fan of the near or partial set. I tend to buy as many as possible of whatever year(s) I am working on, and simultaneously build 3 of the same sets. In the short term, building 3 sets would seem expensive - but generally I am able to sell the other two for pretty close to my outlay on all 3. Thus, getting one set for next to nothing. Bookkeeping is a key with this method.

I actually once built 6 complete 1962 Topps sets - primarily through big lots, and picking up singles only as a last resort.

Also, complete sets with a mix of grades go cheaply as well. You can generally pick out the ones you need and roll the rest into your other sets.

Selling is usually the opposite for me; Either sell individually, or as a nice complete set. Don't do lots unless you have to.

Good Luck.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I've had good luck buying partial sets. I just bought a complete 1973 Topps fb set and pulled at least 75 gradeable cards including a beautiful Ham. I also had great luck buying a 1971 Topps fb set (minus the Bradshaw) for $175 several years ago. This set yielded at least 50 PSA 8's and 2 9's. Full sets tend to sell at a discount than singles or smaller lots (in my opinion).

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    I like the idea of building 3 sets at the same time. If you can get the lots/starter sets cheaply, that makes sense. Maybe I will try that route with a particular year and see what happens. A mini experiment of sorts.
  • Options
    Like others here, I enjoy buying partial or near sets. I haven't done it in a while, mostly because the op's haven't presented themselves to me as much lately. The one thing I've noticed recently is that (ungraded) near sets are harder to find now because of the interest in grading commons as well as stars. You use to be able to get really nice near sets, minus the "key cards", for a small fraction of what they would have cost individually. If you're putting together sets, you'll notice that the stars are usually easier to find, especially on ebay, which is why I alwys pick up nice batches of commons, or near sets, when I find them. That's the kind of "hassle" I enjoy.

Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    i have just recently started a 1965 set and have become a huge fans of lots. the ones i have been purchasing are a little on the small side, 35 here, 88 there, but i'm nearing half completion for very cheap. definately an enjoyable experience, if nothing else.
    Slowly but surely working on:
    • Kirby Puckett
    • Al Newman
    • Al Toon
    • Troy Bell
    • Trish Stratus
    • 1965 Topps BB
    • 1987 Topps FB Auto'd
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    I, too, like the partial/near set purchase. To pick up 80% of a set right off the bat makes things alot less daunting, and it tends to be a comparatively inexpensive way to build a set. Good luck.

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    Collecting in general, for me, has changed a bit in the last 15 years or so, but there is still alot of fun in buying a large group, partial set, or whatever, and go through them, card by card, upgrading my personal set and filling holes. This allows me to "re-visit" sets that I might heve prevoiusly neglected for a period of time. Of course, working on about 50 sets simultaneously means there will be alot of neglected sets for periods of time.
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    well I am going to try the the partial/starter set method with one vintage football set. I shall see how it goes, and whether it's cheaper. The plan is to build a Ex-Exmt set and sell the rest. This keeps the condition standard low enough to make it worthwhile to buy extremely condition mixed lots.