Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1975 Topps Baseball #8 Registry Set On eBay

Just a note to mention that I've listed my 1975 registry set for sale. The starting bid is $6,495, and here's the link:

ategoryZ55925QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem">Text

It's got both a PSA 9 Brett and Yount, with several other PSA 9 HOF'ers. Thanks for taking a look!

SW

PS - I know the link says "Text" but it does work!

Comments

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

awesome set!.. good luck with the sale..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    With an opening bid that high I doubt it will get much interest or bids but I might be wrong.
    Good Luck!
  • Options
    In the description you state $100 shipping but at the bottom in the shipping info it says $125. Just an error I caught.
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    Thanks for the head's up on the shipping discrepancy. I corrected it to $100. Also, for what it's worth, SMR on the set is $10,395.

SW
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Good luck, I am so jealous. It will be interesting to see how this one does.

Stingray
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>With an opening bid that high I doubt it will get much interest or bids but I might be wrong.
    >>

I think that is the only way to sell an item like this. if someone wants it , they will make the bid. it eliminates all the monkey bidding of 500 , 1000 , etc which the item will obviously going to go for more. bidders with the funds to buy an item like this will buyit with an opening high bid or by beating someone else out if htey want it. as someone who has put a lot of time and money into an item like this , no way would I take a chanc that 2 bidders will show up to make my price , if Ionly 1 shows up you are going to take a bath on the item
  • Options
    I really don't think the open is unreasonable at all. These large sets can be awfully tough and the 8th-place registered set is a great start toward a world-class assemblage. Assuming the set is strict NM/MT, such a set is highly collectable and desired by many. The issue is that many set builders need to do so at a certain pace that their income allows. A 6.5K splash can put many on the living room couch--if you get my drift.

You may want to scan a group of "typical commons" that can give a buyer a sense of the condition. PSA is very subjective--particularily with 70's sets--but the set builders of these sets are generally pretty consistent. Did you submit the cards yourself in general or was it assembled through Sirrius, mastro lots, etc. In the case of the latter, the set may require quite a few upgrades to fit the flips. In the former--assuming you're fairly discriminating--the set is "turn-key" and ready for viewing.

I recall Mike Castaldi selling his mostly PSA 8 75's recently for well over 6.5K, but the buyer knew how particular Mike was and figured he would require very few upgrades, I believe. Perhaps mentioning how the set was assembled and how many upgrades are in it would turn some people on a bit.

In any case, I hope you get what you desire for your considerable efforts and enjoy your next venture.

dgf
  • Options

<< <i>monkey bidding >>

Oh, my goodness, I'm a monkey-bidder! I admit, I do that all the time. Here is the real reason I do it.

If I think the item is cool or I like the seller and he typically sells quality, I place a courtesy-bid to get the item play and stimulate the action a bit if I'm there first or second. Other times I use my "monkey-bid", I love this term, to track the item. In one case, I won a card after placing such a bid for well below the market (a PSA 9 '64 Stargell for 150 bucks). I never figured how that happened. I thought I must've inadvertantly bid on a qualified card, slipped into a different dimension in space, etc. When the card arrived it was a pretty soft 9 with great surfaces and it enjoyed my home for a couple of years until I sold it on eBay. Go figure.

dgf
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Best of Luck Steve, Hope you do well.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    No paypal? I know everyone hates the fees on all these sites, but I do feel safer on a big purchase. Of course a big purchase online for me is about $300. lol
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    Thanks all!

I had one guy send me an email saying how insulted he was at the $100 s/h quote. I mean really - 660 slabs tends to weigh a few pounds, not to mention the bulk. Unlike a few cards, if you are going to do it right, the cost of materials for a safe packaging job is a teensey bit more than a padded envelope. I seriously doubt that I will make any money on shipping, and if someone wants to pay nearly $7k for a set, then another $100 for a safe shipping package & postage shouldn't break their bank.

SW
  • Options
    Why not start it at $6595.00 and FREE SHIPPING. It's all the same to you but the bidders may appreciate it more.

Awesome set BTW.

JMO, Bob
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    Good idea Bob - I took your advice.

SW
  • Options
    oh just a heads up, u still have the shipping cost on the bottom section(Shipping, payment details and return policy)
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • Options
    Steve - you didn't answer how you collected the set. Awesome set, one of my favorites. I compare this to window shopping, it looks great but out of my price range. Good luck...Eddie

My Auctions