Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

78 Murray PSA 10? - Am i just seeing things?

Just want to make sure i'm not imagining things, but it sure looks like the bottom right side is slanted in in regards to the top left side.
Its actually enough of a tilt where it detracts from the card i think?
78 guys, what do you think?

Murray Link

Comments

• Options

I agree there is a tilt to this card. I am very particular about centering and this card does not fit my criteria. Just my two cents worth.

Ed
    email address: alohaet@hotmail.com
  • Options
    SpikemaxSpikemax Posts: 28 ✭✭
    Hi Guy and Ed,
    I hope the 2 of you don't like the card as much as you've let on so I can have it.
    Thanks,
    Bill
  • Options

Spikemax, it's all yours.image Nice card in spite of my opinion. I am just so hung up on centering that I know I have missed some great cards in the past.image

Ed
    email address: alohaet@hotmail.com
  • Options
    The 9 I just purchased off Ebay with the old flip looks better imo... can't deal with that much tilt for a PSA 10 price...
  • Options
    mealewormmealeworm Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭
    It has as slight tilt but the scan makes it look worse. I think its a nice card....
    1957 Topps 99% 7.40 GPA
    Hank Aaron Basic PSA 7-8(75%)
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I thing mealworm is correct. The card is not straight in the holder and if there is tilt, it is very slight, IMO.

Stingray
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

the card is fine.. the whole damn scan is tilted is what youre seeing..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    I'll be darned...you're right, P.A! I've been itching my head over this one...but you solved the problem. It sure as heck is a crooked scan!
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone ever seen a centered Murray with a "strong" red border? It seems like all the 9s I've seen of this card have the weak orange border, especially in the top left border area.

If whoever picks up the "10" needs to sell a nine, keep me in mind. image
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    soren, the PSA 9 I just submitted has nice strong red borders.

Guy, there is a definate tilt to that card. Scan or not you can tell the distance from border to edge of card .... still it is a very sweet card
    I noticed last week in the pop report that the Murray 10's went from 5 to 6.
    Dan

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

the card is tilted in the holder, and the holder is tilted in the scan..

·p_A·
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Up to $680. SMR sez $2500, but I don't see it happening. If it does, I bet it's a registry member. The difference between PSA 9 and 10 on the newer stuff can be whether the grader's significant other yelled at him/her that morning, or whether his/her car needs new rotors instead of just brake pads. I like Gem Mint as much as the next guy, and will pay for it -- but I sure won't pay 8x the PSA 9 price to get it.

I think the card does have a very slight tilt, plus it's tilted slightly in the holder, and on top of that the scan is tilted too. If I was selling a PSA 10 Murray rookie, I would be damn sure everything was straight before I put the scan in the auction!
  • Options
    Late1970sToppsLate1970sTopps Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    Although there is some tilting inside the holder, the card is CLEARY tilted as well. The top right edge is wider than the bottom right edge. Frank
    Looking for 1975, 1978, and 1979 Topps Baseball in high end PSA 9 and PSA 10.
    I wonder about this type of tilting on other 78s, I am just starting on them and have noticed others that seem to have the same type of tilting issue and it is always on the right side of the card. Noticed several Rose cards like that, the left side appears ok but the righ side is not, wondered if it was an optical illusion?

Stingray
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Id love a 10 of this one (working on the Murray Master set) but, too rich for my blood.
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
    http://www.clark22murray33.com
  • Options
    cuda440cuda440 Posts: 150 ✭✭

<< <i>I wonder about this type of tilting on other 78s, I am just starting on them and have noticed others that seem to have the same type of tilting issue and it is always on the right side of the card. Noticed several Rose cards like that, the left side appears ok but the righ side is not, wondered if it was an optical illusion?

Stingray >>

i have a '78 munson psa 10 with pretty much the same issue. maybe its somewhat common for that year..?
  • Options
    for a master set! you must spend the money...spend I say spend buy it! besides! it could be me who is selling it!

live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    $2,025.

wow.
    Eddie Murray, Will Clark and Darin Erstad collector, check my wantlists for what I need.
    http://www.clark22murray33.com
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>$2,025.

wow. >>

I agree with jrdolan. Especially with the tilt issues that the card displayed, and the fact that you could get a truly nice 9 for around $300, why would someone pay almost 7 times that amount, just for a cert number?

I know the answer, but it still blows my mind whenever I see this.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Was wondering how high Spikemax was going to go on this one. Guess he thought the price was too high?

Stingray
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    I think the cbailey is Dimtri Youngs personal buyer?

edit to add that he would have won it if he knew how to snipe!
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658