Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Six Coins From the June Long Beach Show

Got my little package of coins from the June Long Beach show back from NGC recently. Grades were realy quite harsh, have a look...

I love the Austrian florins and this is a nice one. Clean fields, a bit of color toward the rims and a slightly prooflike and cameo.

A Bavarian gulden with one of my favorite looks. Many like the toning a bit lighter than this coins's but I like a nice thick layer of color at the rims. A bit more vibrant in person. Very conservatively graded.

Another gulden, this one from Nassau. A lovely coin, vibrant color, mark free surfaces (the line from his mouth is a bit of toning) nice strike and super eye appeal. It really has it all, except a nice grade on the insert!

Crappy planchet but otherwise nice. I think it's an uncirculated coin with a non noted net grade.

My favorite emperor from the exceptionally rare Venice mint (should be Vienna). Another coin I expected back in a MS holder. Super centering and a solid strike.

Another Ferdinand II, rougher than the last. Still, it has luster so I was expecting a middle AU grade on this one.

Several of these are going back for another trip through the grading room.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice pictures and if I said, "I feel your pain", please don't shoot me...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Very nice group of coins image - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    JamminJJamminJ Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>nice pictures and if I said, "I feel your pain", please don't shoot me... >>

Why would I shoot you?

I have another stack of German & Austrian stuff sitting here on my desk. I'm not sure what to do with them certification wise as I do not want them all back in MS63 holders.image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a certain person who got mileage out of saying "I feel your pain"... I feel your pain because there are times I think I see something in a coin that certain TPG companies miss...image I tend to think afew of those could have gone higher...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>There is a certain person who got mileage out of saying "I feel your pain"... I feel your pain because there are times I think I see something in a coin that certain TPG companies miss...image I tend to think a few of those could have gone higher... >>

They're actually quite good at catching stuff. Of the coins that come back more than a point lower than I expect on about 80% of them I've missed something. Here's an accurately graded coin where I expected a 65:

A tiny pin scratch on the cheek, barely visible in the photo, holds it back. Missed it entirely before sending it in.

Usually I'm about 0.7 points tighter than NGC with a 0.9 point standard deviation. This is the first invoice I've ever had where most of the coins came back lower than I expected.

• Options
    Geez, stop making me drool image

My pre-1900 coins don't even make anywhere near MS60 :/
    List of my partial coin list: My Coin List
  • Options
    Congrats on the grades! image
  • Options

<< <i>Congrats on the grades! image >>

Wisenheimer.
  • Options

<< <i>Geez, stop making me drool image

My pre-1900 coins don't even make anywhere near MS60 :/ >>

You cand find nice stuff inexpensively with a little effort. Only two of the coins above cost more than $40!
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Those are beautiful! Whatchya complaining about?
  • Options

<< <i>Those are beautiful! Whatchya complaining about? >>

The numbers on the insert!image

Seems silly now that I think about it.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Wait, less than 40 dollars?! But rarely do I see such high graded in my focused area of Russian coins!!!!!!!!

Maybe the Commies are still stashing them somewhere... image

*dies*
  • Options

<< <i>Wait, less than 40 dollars?! But rarely do I see such high graded in my focused area of Russian coins!!!!!!!!

Maybe the Commies are still stashing them somewhere... image

*dies* >>

How far back do you go for the Russian stuff? Some of the WWI era stuff can still be had cheap.
  • Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    Very nice coins, James. I too have an Austrian florin of 1861, but not as nice as yours. image

Although I thought about submitting it to a TPG, just because I'm curious what grade they'll give it.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I'm going back to Imperial Russian coins, that is pre-1917... *Sigh*

Probably the best two that I have is these two overstriked copper in suprising red-brown condition but meh, the reverse is somewhat corroded :/

• Options

<< <i>Very nice coins, James. I too have an Austrian florin of 1861, but not as nice as yours. image

Although I thought about submitting it to a TPG, just because I'm curious what grade they'll give it. >>

Thanks, when you find the florins nice they are really, really nice. Be careful about sending a few to a TPG out of curiosity - that's how I git started and now I collect plastic!image
  • Options

<< <i>I'm going back to Imperial Russian coins, that is pre-1917... *Sigh* >>

That stuff has really moved up in price, especially for the high grade stuff.

I also like the giant coppers. So much so, I have two:

• Options
    Wow nice grade! *faints*

The 1790 EM copper coin seems to be some sort of double strike or overstrike?

That's what I see it at as...
  • Options

<< <i>Wow nice grade! *faints* >>

These did jump out as better than average which is why I bought them (also at a Long Beach show just so we're still on topic).

<< <i>The 1790 EM copper coin seems to be some sort of double strike or overstrike?

That's what I see it at as... >>

There's definitely something underneath the main design. You can see a phantomcrowntopeed with a cross above the left hand eagle head. There's also an extra left hand wing and another legend ribbon. I don't think the two designs were struck with the same die so it looks like an overstrike.
  • Options
    Nice. I did notice something is with that coin. I suspect it could be a doublestrike as the reverse (double head eagle side) seemed to be out of position. And also, now that I noticed something is "wrong" with that 1791 5 kopek coin, I realized that it's an overdate of 1791/0!!! Geez, nice ones!

*oops pardon me for being offtopic*

Regardless, can one send such coins for slabbing? I don't know if I have seen such monster coins being slabbed...
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Usually I'm about 0.7 points tighter than NGC with a 0.9 point standard deviation. This is the first invoice I've ever had where most of the coins came back lower than I expected.

Perhaps because these coins are not intended for resale? Most of us tend to be a bit more generous when it comes to grade our own coins.

The florin and the two guldens are exquisite.image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3