Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Knock knock? New member intro

Hello darksiders! I have been enjoying the forum for a few months, and decided it was time to say hello. I hope to continue learning from the group, and share some of my stuff along the way. My 30 second elevator speech……I’ve been collecting for 15+ years. I have had a bit of a ‘scattergun’ approach over the years in my collecting habits, but finally decided to concentrate on the darkside in the past couple of years. My fascination remains with Russian roubles and pre-1850 thalers of all shapes and sizes, but my limited budget keeps me grounded in reality.

I hope to bone up on my digital photography, so I will be reading some of the old posts to figure out the best strategies for pics. For now, I am limited to my trusty scanner - see below

Also - My apologies for borrowing somebody’s thaler icon…..I will make it temporary until I can cook one up on my own.

Comments

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum! image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome and post often... we are a friendly bunch, regardless of what you may read elsewhere...image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks spoon & coinkat.

I am convinced that a sense of humor is one of life's essentials (especially when looking at certain purchases and wondering what the &^$# you were thinking at the time).

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    It is my pleasure to say "hello."image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    Welcome to the forum.

Jeff
    I collect bits and pieces of everything
    or should I say I ACCUMULATE!
    I also dabble with the darkside image

Ive recently gotten more into currency, especially modern star notes
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    image to the DARKSIDE, worldcoinguy image
    Enjoy!!!

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    Jeff -
    Interesting enough, my love of the darkside got its start in the early 90s when I studied overseas for a semester with the U of Wisconsin in Seville. One weekend I stumbled on a coin show in town and made it a point to return each month for the entire semester. I was missing a Krause and any knowledge of spanish coins, but walking through a show with 12-15 tables in a 500+ courtyard of a church was priceless.
    Brent
  • Options
    whoops - I meant a 500 year old courtyard of a church.
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    image - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Welcome!!
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    C'mon in! Sit a spell... image

Finding the right way to scan/photograph coins can be a tricky task (see some of my threads; I'm trying to find the right setup myself).

Don't be put off by all the rude and unhelpful folks here... that's just the way we are. image

-Dan
  • Options
    Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Welcome! I'm kinda new also. This place grows on you in a nice down home sort of way. Tis a good group of folks.
  • Options
    OMG 1894 Alexsander III ruble *faints*

Pardon me, welcome! Now I have to be jealous over your collection * image *
    List of my partial coin list: My Coin List
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My apologies for borrowing somebody’s thaler icon…..I will make it temporary until I can cook one up on my own. >>

No problem- you are welcome to it! I used to own that coin. (1558 ANACS EF40 Saxony). Got it from Don ("ajaan"). I believe he created the icon picture. It was a great coin and that little picture does it no justice. I sold it to someone else on the forums but miss it a little.

It's still part of the banner near the top of my eBay page, with some past favorites:

This one is another I created for those who're more Britannic-minded. It is "LMBritanniaIcon" in the database. To my knowledge, nobody is using it, and anybody who wants to is welcome to do so.

Ditto for "LMHiberniaIcon2"- up for grabs- an old gilt proof halfpenny I later upgraded to a CAM proof gilt penny.

Also free for anyone to use is this icon I made my nice little cameo proof 1893 half-sovereign- it was the opposite of your thaler, in that I sold it to Don instead of vice-versa. (D'you still have that one, Don?) That coin has been in the hands of three members of this forum, actually. But I only used the icon only briefly. It is "ACF76F8" in the database.

Of course, the thaler probably fits your collecting better. The icon is yours now. Use it as long as you like, until you create another from one of your own coins.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, Trozau- here is Darkhorse's old Vadercoin gif. image

Too bad it's too big to use as an icon, eh?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Classic! image

<< <i>image >>

trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Hello there!
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Welcome home, Worldcoinguy!

Pay no attention to Aethelred and Ajaan; they can't help themselves.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pay no attention to Aethelred and Ajaan; they can't help themselves. >>

Hey! Wait a minute. What did I do? I hadn't even replied yet. image

Welcome worldcoinguy (wcg). That icon of yours is truly a nice coin. I kinda miss it also but LM forced me to sell it to him. Something about photos and the ANA in Charlotte. image

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Welcome!

Mark
  • Options
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    Welcome from South Dakota image

Take Care
    Ben
    100% DAV, Been There and Done That!
    166 BHDs & 154 Die Varieties & Die States...
    Bust Half Nut Club #180

Festivus Yes! Bagels No!
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Pay no attention to Aethelred and Ajaan; they can't help themselves. >>

Hey! Wait a minute. What did I do? I hadn't even replied yet. image

But I knew you would! image But seriously, Mr. Bingoe Greentoes (aka The Shroom, and Ajaan) is a very lovable and kind and considerate member of the Darkside.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    image from from this greysider!

Gene
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options

image come often, just be careful what you say, we all have a mean streak in us imageimage

I specialize in Great Britian and her territories etc, though I have seen some gorgeous Russian stuff.... image
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your time with usimage
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Welcome, worldcoinguy.image

We'll be looking forward to your posts.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to Fantasy Island! It's fun here!

Cathy

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Welcome.

And thank you for not calling us sarcastic and unhelpful. image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Welcome to the Darkside. Please be aware that many here have excellent skills using PhotoShop, their coins are not anywhere near as nice as they would lead us to believe! image

You'll notice that most here shun third party grading (slabs) - It's because they know their coins really don't cut it. image

Yeah ... I'm just trying to start a fight! image