Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Is this hokey or what??

All, please tell me if this is fishy or what.

I was/am bidding on several 1952 Bowman BB PSA 8 cards listed on EBAY. Well, that afternoon I was outbid on all of them.

ALl the cards are listed by louisbollmanllc who happens to have very good feedback, but I think this is fishy.

It just turns out that the person that outbid me had a feedback rating of 2. He is not bidding on ANY OTHER 1952 Bowman cards, and yet he is also bidding on a 1951 Bowman BB cards, listed by you guessed it louisbollmanllc.

Am I being paranoid here? I am going to go through and retract all of my bids, I really don't have a warm and fuzzy feeling here

Comments

• I have bought 1954 Topps Hockey from this seller before. Fantastic transactions, quick delivery, combines S/H. Good seller. 5200 Positives, no negs, must be doing something right.
  • By no means am I saying he is doing something wrong.

I just thought it was kind of odd that one person with low feedback is bidding on nothing but his cards.
  • jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    People with low feedback do manage to outbid more experienced buyers. Not all of them just fell off the turnip truck. A lot of veteran eBayers start new accounts for whatever reason, to protect their selling ID for example, and their miniscule feedback is not at all representative of their experience or the size of their collections / wallets.

As for Louis Bollman, he buys full-page ads in hobby publications and is one of the "name" dealers. Other big names bid on his auctions. You may have noticed Mayer, Keppler and MOTG among his bidders. He sells to some pretty sharp customers. I don't think he would risk his reputation by shilling them on penny-ante stuff.

That said, as a seller my heart sinks when someone with zero or 2 feedback sits atop my bid list for awhile, because it makes other bidders wonder exactly what you're wondering.
  • thanks JR.

I know he is a very good dealer, and I have done business with him in the past as well.

I was just thinking like you states at the end of your message. The feedback wasnt the thing that drew me to it, but it was that he was only bidding on his auctions.

Thanks all for your thoughts on this matter, and with this I will let this go.
  • People severely underestimate the dealer loyalty phenomenon. For example, there are a handful of dealers i regularly buy from on ebay. In fact, if there are multiple examples of the same card listed, I'll usually bid on a trusted dealer's auctions before other sellers. Perhaps its an alternate ID, since many people like to remain anonymous when getting into ebay bidding wars.

Louis Bollman Inc is a stand up seller