Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My First Ancient.......How did I do?

Ok...I know as a coin collector you should by the book before the coin......but after watching some very fascinating shows on Ancient Rome and Gladiators etc.......I was compelled to purchase my first Silver DENARII. image

I am not really concerned with whether I ripped the coin or not....I didn't buy it for the value per say....but I would like opinions on if it's a decent specimen, and any info on Dealers that are reputable in this area etc.

Thanks

Ebay

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    linked

Nice obverse.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Very nice coin. It is not a denarius however, it is an 'antoninianus' of Gordian III. An antoninianus is a denomination introduced by Caracalla in 213(?) A.D. It was tariffed as a double-denarius.

$35.00 is pretty much right on the money for Gordian III's antoniniani in this grade.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    Nice detail on the obverse....image
    Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

• Options
    So this coin is older than the advertised date?? Is their any info on-line or do I just need to go and by a book on Ancient Roman Coins? Any suggestion on the book I should by??

I really want to purchase more of these.....and I would like to have a lot more info at my disposal so any help is greatly appreciated image
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    That one is neat, Shane image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options

<< <i>That one is neat, Shane image >>

Your a bad.....or should I say Dark influence on me man!!! image
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

<< <i> So this coin is older than the advertised date?? Is their any info on-line or do I just need to go and by a book on Ancient Roman Coins? Any suggestion on the book I should by??

I really want to purchase more of these.....and I would like to have a lot more info at my disposal so any help is greatly appreciated >>

The coin is attibuted to the correct emperor and dates, it's just listed as the wrong denomination. Kind of like listing a half dollar as a quarter.

A few book recommendations for the beginner:

Roman Coins and Their Values by David R. Sear (get an old edition for attribution purposes as the values listed are pretty irrelevant and it'll be MUCH cheaper).

Ancient Coin Collecting Volumes 1 and 3 by Wayne G. Sayles (we carry both of these).

https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    Great info CIVITAS....thanks a bunch!!!
  • Options
    Gordian III was 13 when he was elevated to the rank of Augustus in 238. He was one of 6 men to hold the rank of Augustus in the year 238. His 6 year reign was also the longest of any of the 6.

Maximinus 235-238
    Gordian I 238
    Gordian II 238
    Balbinus 238
    Pupienus 238
    Gordian III 238-244

None of the 6 died "in bed of old age."
    "It is good for the state that the people do not think."

Adolf Hitler
  • Options
    You did GRRRRRREAT image

Have Fun
    Ben
    100% DAV, Been There and Done That!
    166 BHDs & 154 Die Varieties & Die States...
    Bust Half Nut Club #180

Festivus Yes! Bagels No!
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I was going to sat that it is an Antoninianus not a Denarius, but as usual Josh beat me to it. I think the price you paid is fair and the coin has a nice bust of Gordian III. I would also suggest David Sear's "Roman Coins and Values," but unlike Josh I think you should go ahead and spring for the new ones as the old numbering system used in the first to fourth editions has been changed in the 2000 edition and a lot more coins are now listed.

There are two things on my website that may also be of some limited help to you:

Reading Ancient Roman Coins

The Rulers of Ancient Rome
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Just a great wealth of knowledge here......I knew you guys would come through for me.........................I can see my bank account dwindling as I type...................I am not one for moderation after all image

I found a few sites on my own that broke down the denominations etc for me...which is helpful and I think I will stick with Silver coins for now......but I am sure that won't last for long image
  • Options
    Sorry...just got the coin and had a few more questions.................who is on the back and what are they holding? Looks like a scale in the right hand and I can't make out what's in the left? Also what would you grade the coin? Looks stronger than a VF....but don't know if it makes it to EF since I have no experience grading Ancients?

Thanks
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    A MUST place to go: Wildwinds.com

Here's a Link to Gordian III