Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Constantine I ..Pics..

Just bought this for $50 total. I'm a little worried about the color. Any input is appreciated. Great strike though. Link

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I am not sure about the color either. The coins looks real, but may have been messed with.image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    I agree with the dead king. The reverse looks to be a great variety but I'm not sure about the coloring.

While it's taken for granted (and pretty much accepted) that most ancients are cleaned, this one may have been overly cleaned....polished perhaps? Looks very smooth.
    Rufus T. Firefly: How would you like a job in the mint?

Chicolini: Mint? No, no, I no like a mint. Uh - what other flavor you got?

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    If you look under the M of the SMN mintmark (Nicomedia) it looks like some of the accretion remains on the coin. Essentially it looks unc, as do most of the hoard coins of this type, and it looks to me as if after the cleaning it was not retoned to a more "natural" looking dark brown that you usually see on these. Fields look better than normal to me, but natural/polished/tooled - you'd have to see the coin in person to be sure.......

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    It's always hard to say from a photo, but I imagine the coin is a bit darker in color when viewed in person. Lighting can make a huge difference. Given the intensity, it looks like an incandescent light may have been used. That always throws a little extra yellowish overtone into the photograph. If the user does not know how to compensave, it makes for some oddly colored pictures.

It looks like a very nice coin from a detail standpoint. Jupiter rarely strikes up very fully on these, because he is directly opposite the bust/head on the obverse which does not provide a very good striking surface. Likely a hoard coin that was batch cleaned chemically (as most of them are nowadays).

I'm guessing it probably looks better in person.

In any event, Paul is a good seller, so if you're not happy after seeing it in person, I'm sure he'll make it right.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    I think you are right Civitas. I've just never seen an ancient that color. I looked at a few of these and the color ranger from crud brown to a dull silver. So seeing this one I was a little concerned. Probably for no reason. I've bought from Paul before and always have been happy. I looked at the coin for a few days and just could not resist the strike. I'm sure I'll be a happy camper when it gets here. Thanks for the input all!!