Options

Newsflash!!!!

Newsflash

AGS and CTA burst onto the scene! image
Collecting
Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
1967 Topps PSA 8+
1960's Topps run Mega Set image
"For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso

Comments

• Options

<< <i>CTA is usually considered in the first tier of grading companies along with PSA, BGS, SGC, GAI and AGS. >>

• Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    How dare they leave PRO and GEM off the list of "top-tier" grading services!
    I bought half a dozen CTA cards when I re-entered the hobby after 15 years and didn't have the sense to research all the services. The good news is that only one was trimmed. The bad news is that the rest of them lost 2 and even 3 grades when they crossed to PSA. A hobbyist who pretended to be getting me up to speed on this newfangled grading thing told me that CTA 8 was equal to PSA 7. Wrong! An expensive lession.

Supposedly CTA used a computer to grade cards, but I think that just meant they used it like a calculator to average out the subgrades. image Didn't they go out of business?
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's another company I can't seem to find anywhere? Who's basement produces this holder?

They pumped out enought fake Homogenized Bread cards to feed the entire 3rd world!!!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Alright, time to let the cat out of the bag on CTA... I have personal knowledge of two individuals that made a deal with CTA when they first started out. These two individuals would buy PSA 6'S on the internet, crack them open and submit large orders that they would grade either "CTA 7" or "CTA 8" GRADES for a nice fee. A majority of these cards were T 206'S,1915 Cracker Jacks, up through the early( 50's star cards only).
    I was offered a cut of this action by the two individuals and turned them down and have since parted ways with them over 4 years ago. Although i liked their grading system, i will personally never buy any product and would warn anyone from ever buying one of their cards.
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't a PSA 6 sell for more then a CTA 7 or 8?
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Bearstats who?

Bearstats.com

Stingray
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Stone, I saw a 85' Donruss Clemens graded a 10 by the same company as that Griffey card at a local card store. The dealer also had no info on the company when I asked about it. The card must not carry much of a premium as a 10 because he only wanted $40 for it. I am tempted to buy it and send it to PSA. RJ
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    If these kitchen-table graders give 9's and 10's to NM cards, what would they do with a Mint one? 15?

These guys should use a "UT" qualifier for "Untrimmed," because those are rare and special in these holders.
  • Options
    Check this out!

Read Bearstats grading scale......http://bearstats.com/scale.htm

and then SGC's scale........
    http://www.sgccard.com/grading_scale.htm

THIEVES!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hey Stone, I saw a 85' Donruss Clemens graded a 10 by the same company as that Griffey card at a local card store. The dealer also had no info on the company when I asked about it. The card must not carry much of a premium as a 10 because he only wanted $40 for it. I am tempted to buy it and send it to PSA. RJ >>

Downtown
    Ya might want to check the card closely before paying anything...is the card trimmed?....is the card real?...has the card been altered?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Downtown
    Ya might want to check the card closely before paying anything...is the card trimmed?....is the card real?...has the card been altered?

mike >>

What is the best way to determine if a card has been trimmed if it already has been slabbed, and the borders appear centered? Some of these underground grading services are using thick holders, so holding an untrimmed card up to it proves futile for me. Any thoughts?