Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is this 1969 Topps Alcindor too mis-cut for grading?

Attached is the front and back of my 1969 Topps Alcindor. Any opinion if PSA will grade it or send it back with N-8 Miscut. There isn't another image on the card, but it is tilted. The back shows the tilt better.
Mike

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I would have it graded just for the added protection the slab affords.

I assume you have had the card for a while? I mean you just didn;t buy it?

if so id like the opinion that it was authentic/ unaltered then.

JMHO

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Is the card a perfect rectangle? If the tilt is in the printing I don't think they will give it a MC designation. If the card isn't a perfect rectangle they won't grade it because it is an irregular shape and they will refund your grading fee. An MC qualifier on the other hand I believe is for cards that grade but are so off center that they are "miscut", usually having part of another card showing. Please don't take as cold hard fact though. I am not 100% positive. It's very confusing, but I think this is the way it works. I had a T206 that was OC but not that bad that I sent in and they sent it back as ungradable due to miscut. I called and said why didn't they just give it an MC qualifier. They said there is no MC qualifier. I told the CS rep that I was looking right at the description for MC qualifier at that moment from the latest SMR. He was dumbfounded. Obviously he didn't know what he was talking about. The above is the best expanation I could come up with.

Damian
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a submitter, but I wonder if PSA even *can* grade that card? I mean, would it actually fit in a holder?
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not a submitter, but I wonder if PSA even *can* grade that card? I mean, would it actually fit in a holder? >>

Stingray
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    No...I know they have tallboy holders...but that card doesn't look like a rectangle. It looks more like a trapezoid and I wonder if it would fit safely in a tallboy holder.
  • Options
    That card is trimmed so it won't be slabbed by PSA most likely.
  • Options
    It does look like someone cut it up on the right side, lol.
    Ryan
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi leo
    The card appears to be "diamond cut" IMO. I doubt if it were trimmed. Does it measure appropriately?

I'm with AJW, I don't think it will fit in a holder due to the fact that it isn't square.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It measures correctly except that it is diamond cut pretty bad to the right. The front doesn't show it as much as the back. It measures 2 1/2" across and 4 11/16" tall at every point, except that AJW is right, it is shaped like a trapezoid.

I laid it up against a 1969 Topps Oscar Robertson PSA 8 and it seems to barely fit in the slot, but I don't know the tolerances needed for slabbing.

I've had the card since 1990. I did bring it to one of the Sportsfests show to see if PSA could tell me if it would pass the minimum requirements, however he told me I had to submit it first, a chicken and egg situation. I really didn't want to submit, just to get a credit slip back.

Do you have to use the exact same service with the credit slip? For example if I got a $12 Tallboy slip, could I used it on a standard size card? I know they wouldn't let me use a $10 crossover slip for card grading. This is the last Tall Boy I have and wouldn't have a use for it.
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leo
    What about emailing customer service with a copy of the card and see if they give you some kind of response - they may tell you that they don't holder cards that show any appreciable diamond cutting?

Just a thought
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice Mike. I did that and it went into the black holes of customer service along with all my emails to Paypal and GAI. Mike
    Mike