Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

This should be fun to watch!!

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Would the design on a brockage really be that crisp? I am no expert on errors and I am not suggesting anything, just asking the question.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    If the error is really, that will be a very cool error coin.
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I don't buy it. Of course, I'm no expert on these things. But that really looks to my eyes like a reversed image.

Look at the hint of red behind Lizzie's head; that wouldn't likely come at the edge of an incuse design, that happens in a protected area near relief objects. You see this again in the eye (which is oddly more crisp than the normal side's picture, though that may be lighting).

Plus the shadows on the bust, especially at bottom, appear to be ouside the design element, which would not be possible in incuse.

But then you have the lettering, which looks legit, with the scratch going evenly across the first "A" of GRATIA.

I'd ask for a picture taken at an extreme angle (to judge shadows) before considering to bid.

But, again, I'm just a skeptic... I don't know what I'm talking about! image
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some big time dealers and collectors bid on the coin.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    It looks too "perfect" to me...
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    There are enough legit buyers on that auction - of course that's not enough to prove it's real.

It does look to me like it may be real, though.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.