Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

New Member gets First Submission Results, what do you think?

1 31223462 1957 TOPPS 76 BOB CLEMENTE N/A Not Holdered, Altered
2 31223463 1957 TOPPS 95 MICKEY MANTLE N/A 6
3 31223464 1957 TOPPS 165 TED KLUSZEWSKI N/A 7
4 31223465 1957 TOPPS 212 ROCCO COLAVITO N/A 6ST
5 31223466 1963 TOPPS 3 NL HOME RUN LEADERS N/A Not Holdered, Evidence of Trimming
6 31223467 1968 TOPPS 80 ROD CAREW ALL-STAR ROOKIE 7

Date Received: 08/12/2005
Date of Grades Posted: 08/22/2005
Date Shipped: 08/22/2005

Comments: I'm happy with the grades on the Kluzewski, the Carew, and the Colavito. Those are fair grades. Disappointed with the Mantle. It is as nice as the Klu and 3 reputable dealers I know recommended I slab it (they all thought it was a 7). I'll post a scan of it later. I was worried about the NL HR Leaders card, turns out I was right. Not sure what happened with the Clemente.

What do y'all think?
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    Send the Mantle back in.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Well that'll teach you not to trim your cards. Just kidding, that's tough when 2 old cards come back as altered, there's no way to know when it happened. Any info on what exactly was "altered" on the Clemente?
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    not bad.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    No info. yet on what was altered on the Clemente. That one really has me curious. I've gotten pretty good at identifying trimmed cards, but this was something else, apparently.

The Colavito, actually, is a beautiful card on the front, but it has wax stains all over the back. I'm not an expert at getting those removed or reduced.

I'm tempted to send the Mantle back in, and equally tempted to market it as a high grade 6. I already have a PSA 7 as part of the set I'm building, but oddly enough I like this one better.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    On the altered cards, I've always gotten a post it stuck to the holder with an arrow pointing at the "altered" area. Luckily for me this has only happened 2 or 3 times. On the Evid Of Trim you'll just have to figure out where the trim job was. Try laying the card over the top of another from the same year.

I agree with sending the Mantle back in if you truly believe it's as nice as the Klu. If the grade don't fit, crack and resubmit.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info. One thought I had was to resubmit the Mantle with some very nice '57 high grade commons I have, some of which should pull 8's. Thought maybe if I mixed the Mantle in with those, perhaps the Mantle would get slabbed as a 7.

Of course, that strategy is for naught if the commons get slabbed as 7's.
    Ron Burgundy