Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Tell me what I am seeing?

These are both on ebay, as "9's"

Comments

• Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Am I missing something? From the scans, they both look great to me. The Centering looks very solid, the edges and corners look terrific.

Looks like the Brett is in a BGS holder and the Yount is in a PSA holder?

What's the issue?
  • Options
    They are both in PSA holders. The Brett is in a bag for some reason.
    Look at the space above the team name to the border on each card and the space below the player name to the border on each card.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Is the Brett a mini 75 in a regular holder? Maybe PSA did not make mini sized specific holders at first and did this with the minis to keep them from moving around? Just a guess on my part.

Stingray
  • Options
    They are both mini's. Below is a piece of the Yount overlayed on the Brett...

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • Options
    Well isn't that interesting...
  • Options
    imageimage
    Here are the full card scans.
  • Options
    Yeah, the bag looks hideous. Is the Brett really that much smaller?
  • Options
    While were on the subjuct of 1975 Topps mis-holdering...

Link
  • Options
    I have a few 2000 SP Authentic football cards that are in the bag too. I remember reading that PSA did this when the card was slightly off-sized. They also did it for a period with the mini's, and the smaller Leaf and Bowman cards. Obviously the baggy's weren't very popular. I haven't seen any recently graded cards like this. It seems the outcry was heard.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    strange , these 2 cards look like they were graded at the same time but one is baggied and the other isn't , those spaces do look to be quite different, why would psa baggie a mini that was a mini - mini instead of giving it the old minimum size requirement?
  • Options
    To me the issue is not the bag, although It looks like crap. The issue for me is the size difference in the cards.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    For those with whom the issue is not clear: THERE IS MORE "YOUNT" CARD THERE THAN THERE IS BRETT CARD.

Why is the Brett card so much shorter than the Yount?!?!?!? A big question if I was inclined to spend a couple of hundred dollars on a HOF rookie card in top grade
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    I don't know the explanation, but whoever submitted that Brett mini got a slew of 9's. At least 12 in a row.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Joe addressed this in his editorial "whack jobs" about a year ago. Any card that is short but still graded by PSA is from a presentation set.

enter Da Big Hurt------->>>>>>

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    Look at the bottom right corner on the Brett! WTF is that? Looks like a serious hook there!

JMO

NOW enter TBH....
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Look at the bottom right corner on the Brett! WTF is that? Looks like a serious hook there!

JMO

NOW enter TBH.... >>

The bottom left corner looks like the 1988 Score BB when that first came out.

Stingray
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I (well my mother) bought a ton of 1975 mini rack-packs, at my 12 year-old urgingimage , at Long's Drugstore in San Diego, CA back in 1975. I do remember that several of the cards were cut significantly shorter than they should have been. Apparently, Topps had a problem consistently cutting the minis, since it was a new size.

I'm not sure if that's what happened here, but it could be.

I just wish I still had the rack-packsimage

Steve
  • Options
    CopperJJCopperJJ Posts: 587 ✭✭✭
    The cards in bags look terrible, that's why I no longer submit to BGS. I do have a couple 85 T McGwires and one of them is bagged. Looks bad.

Clayton Kershaw - master set
    Signed Sets:
    2011 Topps Heritage BB
    1960s & 1970s Topps decade Cincinnati Reds
    2006-2016 A&G HOFers
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    That's the first time I've seen a PSA graded '75 mini condomized. Here's a looky at the card in the other guys holders..

• Options
    That SGC Brett looks really great with that black background. When compared to the Psa Brett slipping and sliding around in it's holder, it looks like a much better deal. PSA needs to toughen up on the quality control and stop returning cards like this to customers. I have received a few mini's loose in the holder, and I am very disappointed.image
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

The Brett card is significantly shorter than the Yount card.
    If the implication here is trimming, someone took off way more cardboard than they needed to.

Also, it seems only logical to me that any card that's too short
    for it's normal sized holder would be given additional scrutiny by a grader so it's probably fine.

In general, can someone explain to me what the difference is between
    a card that's small and legit that gets returned ungraded because it didn't meet minimum size requirements,
    and a card that's small and legit that ends up getting graded, yet has to be put into a sleeve ?

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"