Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Look what I won at the Cubs Game!

I get to work this morning and my boss calls me in and says "What are you doing tonight?" I told him nothing so he gave me 2 tickets to tonights Cubs game as his client backed out and he was in his wife's doghouse so he couldn't go.

When I walked in the ticket collectors handed a scratch off card. I said to my wife "Last year I was at a game where the did this and I won a 1984 Rick Sutcliffe jersey." She remembered but was hardly impressed. I scratched it off and:

My wife was excited becuase I was excited but I could tell she didn't really care. She was looking at the tickets and trying to find which direction to go and I told her that our seats were right there, by the gate we walked in, but that I had to go to left field gate where the redemption was. She told me to go later but I remembered that I heard they ran out once and had to mail people their win. I wanted it now and so to left field we went. I called my buddy to tell him as he was the guy I was with when I won last year and actually has season tickets. He has never won anything in nearly 25 giveaway days. He had some choice words for me that I cannot express here.

We get to the redemption booth and I ask the girl there how many gloves there were. "100 out of 20,000 scratch offs. The value of the glove is $300." That meant nothing to me because I will not sell or part with it but that attached som odss of winning and value so my wife was finally impressed.

We got to the seats and I had to take it out of the wrapping and try it on. I was the hit of the section! A 13 year-old boy in front of me offered me $5 for it and I politely rejected. I felt kinda of bad about that but if he was supposed to have the glove he would have won itimage Not to mention $5 wouldn't even have been enough for a beer.

On to the pics and thanks for reading my rant. I was and am excited and have a new ornament for my desk!

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

Comments

• Options
    Awesome. Congratulations!!!
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Wow nice piece...maybe you can get it auto'ed and really have a one of a kind!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zef
    Congratulations! I was watching the game - were you the guy who kept jumping up and down with the glove?!LOL

Hudson pitched a great game tonite!

That's a definite keeper! I noticed the glove has his 300 wins and the date!

I'm greeeeeeeeen with envy!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    sad that such a nice glove will never see the field
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Zef! Are you going to get it signed by Maddux? That would be the cherry on top and if he signs it nicely bonus!.. but not likely image
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Wilson A2000 is still my favorite glove. It's nice to see that it is still being used. Looks like they made a few changes to it.
    Mike
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    Does Maddux still get those "in the neighborhood of the plate" calls from the umps? Maybe his wife bakes killer Xmas cookies and Greg sends a box to each and every ump, each year?

rbd

edit: Wow! Killer glove and Cubs win!
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    The Wilson A2000 is the glove that got me to break my 30 year rule of Rawlings only. Not that you'd play with a glove like this, looks really nice- as if a game at Wrigley was enough of a bonus in life!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    rbd-What does your comment have to do with zef's great luck tonite? Why bash on Maddux in this thread?

Congrats Zef, I think that's awesome you won that! Congrats.
  • Options

<< <i>rbd-What does your comment have to do with zef's great luck tonite? Why bash on Maddux in this thread?

Congrats Zef, I think that's awesome you won that! Congrats. >>

If you notice I did edit my post, don't worry, I've sent Zef enough money, he can afford to buy a ticket or two to the Cubbies! LOL! (Edit: Now Zef, can the Cubbies win the Wild card? that would really make your glove a special memory, not that it isn't special anyway!)

rbd

Me bash Maddux? Hehehehehe!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The Wilson A2000 is the glove that got me to break my 30 year rule of Rawlings only. Not that you'd play with a glove like this, looks really nice- as if a game at Wrigley was enough of a bonus in life! >>

Griff
    I wish I still had the glove I used in high school! I gave it to my brother...I told him it had a "hole" in it...dead center! image

Rawlings was king!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    zef- lucky duck! ahh im jealous being a maddux fan and all. you can always send it to a maddux collector(me). I will pay shipping for your troublesimage
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>rbd-What does your comment have to do with zef's great luck tonite? Why bash on Maddux in this thread?

Congrats Zef, I think that's awesome you won that! Congrats. >>

If you notice I did edit my post, don't worry, I've sent Zef enough money, he can afford to buy a ticket or two to the Cubbies! LOL! (Edit: Now Zef, can the Cubbies win the Wild card? that would really make your glove a special memory, not that it isn't special anyway!)

rbd

Me bash Maddux? Hehehehehe! >>

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    Thanks guys for your responses! The glove I used in high school and college got lost in my last move a year ago and I was using it for 12in softball and harball leagues, but not the 16in league that I also play here in Chicago, which is played barehanded. Now I have been using a glove that I bought that has been harder the hell to work in. I would love to start using this one, but I don't think I could stomach it as I am a collector first and horrible softball player and over-the-hill wannabe baseball player second.

While I am showing my Wrigley wins I want to show off the Jersey I won last year.

The Sutcliffe came with an auto and they timed it for when he was in town with the Padres.

The jersey:

I wanted the Santo Jersey but I didn't go to that game. I cannot believe that I have been to only 1 giveaway game each of the last 2 years and won a 100/20,000 prize each time. Why do I always get my ass handed to me in Vegas? image
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Mike-
    I've still got my Rawlings 1st basemans glove from Pony League, it's a Boog Powell model ('75) My dog chewed my first glove, a Rawlings Billy Williams model, the day after I bought it having saved up for 6 months for it. I had to use it for 3 seasons anyway.
    2 years ago I got the A2000 and it blows away any of the gloves at the store, including anything Rawlings offered. For some reason I couldn't bring myself to even try on a Mizuno.
    Zef, if you don't use this one (and you shouldn't!) go get the regular A2000, you'll feel like Ozzie Smith with it on your hand!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>Thanks guys for your responses! The glove I used in high school and college got lost in my last move a year ago and I was using it for 12in softball and harball leagues, but not the 16in league that I also play here in Chicago, which is played barehanded. Now I have been using a glove that I bought that has been harder the hell to work in. I would love to start using this one, but I don't think I could stomach it as I am a collector first and horrible softball player and over-the-hill wannabe baseball player second.

Zef, use the glove to play softball. You will play like a pro? And it will be game used! LOL!

Now if you get a Maddux signature, thats a different story!

Enjoy some years playing softball? Put it on the shelf when you can't play any longer! You will never sell it anyway! LOL! Might as well enjoy it, no?

rbd
  • Options
    Damn man, both glove and jersey are mighty sweet! The only thing I've ever walked out of a ballpark with was a sosa bobblehead at camden and a bbq utensil set at a Marlins game (glue dried up and it fell apart after 3 uses)....ugh.... Congrats man!
    Collecting: Pretty much anything and everything, but raw '62s, Ripken and anything from my boys in Steeltown take top priority.
  • Options
    Nice win Zef!!! I bet Ive been to 5 of those scratch off games and havent won squat (and that was usually with up to 4 cards a game depending on who went with me)!!

And Ill vouch for the A2000 as well. I still have 2 from back in the day. I remember my first one cost me $125 in 1978. I had the outfielders model though with the H see-through web.

How exciting though. Im glad to see that somebody actually wins those things image.

• Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    We don't get sh1t at hockey games but 50/50 tickets and maybe a Edmonton Oilers t-shirt if visa is there taking sign-ups in exchange for a shirt. image
  • Options
    Nice glove & jersey!
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    On a whim, I just checked eBay to see if one of these has sold lately.

Sure enough...one has.

I wonder what mine would go for as I have the ticket and the scratch off, better feedback and first hand knowledge it has never been worn.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    ripkenintheminorsripkenintheminors Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that's nice! Never won anything, but I do have baseballs from 2 of the 3 games I have attended at Wrigley. Can't wait to go back this season.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    That's way too cool to sell.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's way too cool to sell.

I agree. Especially for a Cubs fan!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>On a whim, I just checked eBay to see if one of these has sold lately.

Sure enough...one has.

I wonder what mine would go for as I have the ticket and the scratch off, better feedback and first hand knowledge it has never been worn. >>

And I'm guessing you wouldn't use the phrase "MINTY MINTY MINTY" in your auction description either.

Is that a game-worn glove or a commemorative glove? Not that it matters. I would be psyched to get something like that at a Sox game. I think it's especially cool when you consider how many of those Maddux has that are gold colored. One of the best fielding pitchers ever.

Arthur