Home Sports Talk
Options

Who has the sweetest swing?

frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
I say Griffey, Jr.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    This has flame written all over it, but I will say it anyway. My choice is Rafael Palmeiro and then Griffey, Jr.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because Palmeiro took steroids doesn't mean that his swing wasn't great. I agree that it was.

Shane

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

I think Griffey.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>Just because Palmeiro took steroids doesn't mean that his swing wasn't great. I agree that it was. >>

Well you know, many on this board consider him just god given awful and not even worthy of the hall, so I'm sure they think the same of his swing.

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    Although, the smoother swings tend to belong to lefties due to the fact that their natural momentum leads them towards first base, for a righty, Paul Konerko of the White Sox has a very surprisingly smooth swing.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    John Olerud right now

Mattingly and Molitor in the past

Griffey is good. Palmeiro I don't know much about
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Wade Boggs first.

Ken Griffey Jr. second.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Not sure exactly what is meant by the sweetest swing, if you mean most techically correct and enjoyable to watch, I would have to nominate Al Kaline as one of those I have seen, even though he was a member of the hated Tigers. Tony Oliva is another hitter who comes to mind. He was just a natural at the plate and you never saw him over swing.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I always thought Von Hayes had a great swing ... it seems that most lefties do.

All of the nominees thus far are left handed - I think Oliva was
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally agree that Palmeiro's the sweetestimage

Steve
  • Options
    Hugh Duffy
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best swing I ever saw was Richie Allen.
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will Clark
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    Manny Ramirez

Best ever: Teddy "the science of hitting" Ballgame
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ted Williams... end of discussion.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ARod has the smoothest swing in the game followed closely by Soriano. These two guys make it look effortless.

Always loved Eddie Murray's swing as well
  • Options
    I also have to log in "Sweet Swinging" Billy Williams.
  • Options
    All Time: Willie Mays (ok, when he was young)

Now: Junior
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Pepe Frias
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Will Clark >>

Good one. I loved his when he played as well. On another note, I saw some vintage footage of Lou Gehrig swinging and it was fantastic. However, since I've never seen him play in person, I could not list him here.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harmon Killebrew. I just saw a replay of his home run in the 1965 All-Star game and his swing was not only flawless it generated a tremendous amount of POWer.image
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harmon Killebrew was a great power hitter... end of discussion.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't remember what sports publication said it, but Al Kaline and Harmon Killebrew were mentioned as having the two "best" swings of their times. Kaline was a better hitter for average and "Killer" hit more home runs in the decade of 1960-70 than any other player in MLB. Much has been written about Musial's and Yazstremski's "strange" batting stances, but if you watch the way most of the great hitters swing is at the moment their bat is travelling through the strike zone, I think they will all look very similar.

JoeBanzai
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    If this is "had".....it would have to be Ted Williams. Ted stated that Tony Gwynn had the best stroke he ever saw. Today, who can argue with Pulos?
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    Sweetest swings?- hands down, no questions asked, Theodore Samuel Williams and Tyrus Raymond Cobb.
    Adam J. Moraine