Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is it worth it to go the REVIEW route with PSA?

As many of you know, I've submitted approximately 100 cards (1993 Refractors) to PSA over the last few weeks and have had very, very good results. Of the cards I've submitted, I've received approximately 20% PSA 10's. The thing is, the cards that were graded 10 were in no better condition than most of the ones that received a 9.

Specifically, my Clemens and Sandberg, both gorgeous cards, received a 9 grade and I was considering sending them back under REVIEW. Has anyone had any good luck with this, or is a waste of money (i.e., they saw what grade the card was when it came in and they're NOT going to change their minds to avoid looking inconsistent).

Thanks,

Josh

Comments

• Options
    If you want to have a chance to get a 10 the only way is to crack and re submit.
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I would tend to agree with VintageJeff on this one, crack and resubmit on this one. Worst case scenario, you get 2 9's back. (hopefully that's the worst that happens). Those are awesome cards by the way!

-Josh

Let us know how it turns out.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree Josh
    Crack it and resubmit - I doubt they will upgrade a card by looking at the holder.

Good luck jm
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Just be careful and don't do what I did here DOH! I hate those holders!
  • Options

<< <i>I agree Josh
    Crack it and resubmit - I doubt they will upgrade a card by looking at the holder.

Good luck jm
    mike >>

Makes sense. I've heard quite a bit about HOW to do this safely (both for me and the card). Does anyone have an easy way? Please advise.
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    I put the holder in a mitre box and use the hand saw to cut through the label area of the holder. then gently pop open the top of the slab with a flat head screwdriver.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    No...i did and got nothing out of it...they didnt even give me a good explanation when they say with review service they will tell you why....thats ridiculous...maybe i should practice medicine like that...make a patient come back twice before i explain why im doing what im doing....whatever....

loth
  • Options
    So.........with PSA holders, is the key to somehow break the "seal" and then the cases come apart pretty easily? I'm kind of confused about this one. And I don't have a mitre box.
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    I cut through the flip part of the holder. once that is cut I pop open the top end of the holder where the card is. once the flip part is cut the card is still enclosed but it's easy to pop that part open.

do a search for this as there are other threads that have other ways and more info about this.
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    With PSA holders there is a small "notch" on the corners. I usually stand the card on it's edge and tap a screwdriver or chisel with a hammer to "pop" that corner... then you can just slide the screwdriver down the top edge and the case comes apart very easily. I've never <knock on wood> hurt a card doing this... I did however bend a nice Tom Brady rc in half taking it out of that plastic sleeve beckett uses. DOH!

Other people have used a pliers to crack the plastic off the corner, some use dremel tools... I figure everyone has a hammer and screwdriver or chisel. I've actually had great luck with my gasket scraper. (Never been used to actually scrape gaskets) it's flat, thin and has a good leading edge for popping the case.

Be very careful about pulling the case apart as you don't want the card to go flying out once it pops apart... I always picture the potato chip bag when you're pulling the two sides and then "POOF" chips everywhere... very bad. image
  • Options
    Thanks guys. You've been all very helpful and I really appreciate that.