Home Stamps Forum

Ebay purchasing?

Do you buy stamps if they only have gum on the back? If they don't show this in a rear side picture or tell you should you assume the rear gum is gone? Does this drop the grade of a stamp? This is dealing with pre 1940's stamps.

I notice stamps that look mint but are mentioned at xtra-fine. Is this because of the backside.

Comments

• dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Most sellers will put gum condition in their description. Do not assume it has gum. If no mention, then ask. Yes, it drops the value drastically. Scott catalogs will show values with gum and without. Some abbreviations used are: MNHOG-mint never hinged, original gum, MNG-mint, no gum, MDG-mint, disturbed gum, unused=no gum and there are others. If they mentioned 'extra fine', then you will need to look at the stamp carefully. Is it well-centered; all perfs in good shape, any distractions, etc...

If buying on eBay, you need to find out what the sellers return policy is. I've had to return many stamps due to inaccurate descriptions. I have yet to run into a problem getting my money back.

Doug