Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

"I can't belive it's going for this much" - Thread

Hi,

Here's an idea for a thread. We post ebay auctions that stun us with their price. If it catches, it catches....

1973 Steve Carlton PSA 9

Comments

• Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    Nice card, but holy mackerol!

I like the idea of this thread. Hope it catches on! I'll look around and see if I find any "I can't believe it's going for this much" cards. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I'm sorry....I know that it's the most important modern Basketball set, but an '86 Fleer checklist going for nearly $1500? Sheesh....

How Much? Sheesh!
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    Everything.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    How about an item that Kalch23 himself has up for sale. image

I hope someone pays a $1,000 for it .........image
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    My guess is itll go for $310
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭
    1950 Bowman Football PSA-8 Tony Canadeo # 9

smr: $200

final bid: $1,291.33

Auction

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    What would be really interesting and useful is regularly updated list of the cards that SMR consistently has no clue about. It could be ranked by degrees of variance from reality. Such as...

1974 Topps #456 Dave Winfield PSA 8 -- SMR $85 -- actual $40-$55 -- planet / time where SMR may be accurate: Saturn (or Earth 2002)

1981 Topps #600 Johnny Bench PSA 9 -- SMR $12 -- actual $50-$75 -- planet / time where SMR may be accurate: Pluto (or Earth (1993)
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What would be really interesting and useful is regularly updated list of the cards that SMR consistently has no clue about >>

36 Goudey Commons in PSA 8 SMR 150. Reality 300+
    '48 Leaf Short prints PSA 7 SMR 625. Reality 750-4000.
    '15 Cracker Jack HOFers- reality is the price of the next highest grade, and up
    '54 Wilson Franks PSA 5 SMR 125. Reality - the price of about 2 grades higher, and up
    T200 Cleveland PSA 8 SMR 6000. Sold for 15K+

the list goes on and on, from my experience it is significantly off on just about every pre WW2 set, and most non Topps and Bowman sets post war. Tracking prior sales is really the only way to get an idea based on reality. Too bad SMR doesn't use that method.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1950 Bowman Football PSA-8 Tony Canadeo # 9

smr: $200

final bid: $1,291.33 >>

Randall,

Yea, I couldn't believe how high that card went.

My snipe was laughed at by about 10 other snipes, before it didn't even "go off" for being so low. The sad part is that I honestly thought I had a decent shot at it. ;-)

I think I'll just be happy with my PSA 7 for a while.

Mike
    "Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1994 Leaf Alex Rodriguez PSA 9

SMR - $240

Reality - $300 (absolute lowest I have seen) up to $400

Shane

• Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I just posted about a 94 SP Arod BGS 9 w/ 2 9.5 subs that closed @ $821. That blew me away. I'm still learning about some of the cards that go ridiculously over SMR. I always reference the SMR before I bid, most of the time I have good luck with the numbers in there.

I do remember hearing about a 53 Bowman Color (I forget the player) IIRC, SMR was around $250 and it closed at $6,800 about 12-18 months ago. I believe someone on the boards sold it. That's one of the more egregious variances I've seen.

Keep in mind that BGS/BVG has a set registry now too, so there are certainly some people paying more for high grade psa cards that have very low or non-existent pops in the BGS/BVG arena and are thinking they'll pay a bit less for a PSA/GAI/SGC graded copy and crack and submit it to BGS and get a similar or better grade. As if there wasn't enough competition already. image