Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

57 Sandy Koufax (Raw) How did I do?

I paid close to SMR for a PSA 7. Rear centering is exactly 90/10 (inline with both 8 and 9 rear centering guidelines. I have the front centering at 60/40 LR and 65/35 TB. The top 2 corners are very sharp, bottom two corners are touched and there is a bit of a rough cut on both edges. Anyone think this makes an 8 holder? I couldn't find any PSA 7's that had closed, only 6's and 8's. I'll be sending this and a couple other cards I picked up in for grading on Monday using the 5 day special.

Let me know your thoughts. I noticed 6's sold very close to SMR and 8's were usually close as well. I'm hoping this at least makes a 7 and has a good look at an 8... It's absolutely gorgeous in person.

BTW, where's my 1957 Topps historian Lothar when I need him?

-Josh

LMK what you guys/gals think of this one.

(The image is too large so I have to link to it)

Comments

• Options
    I'd say 7. Damn nice card. I love the rough cut. I think you did well at the price you paid.

Damian
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    The top corners are outstanding.
    Unfortunately, IMHO, the bottom corners drop it to a 6.
    I sincerely hope I'm wrong. I've pulled 9's when I wasn't sure I'd get an 8. I guess I'm just a tough bastid.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    LOOKS LIKE A SURE FIRE 9
  • Options

<< <i>
    LOOKS LIKE A SURE FIRE 9 >>

You might be right. If the rough cut got into the corners on the bottom. Tough to tell without card in hand. Either way, buyer should have no regrets. Nice Sandy.

D
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    At least a 7 (if there aren't any hidden defects), possibly an 8.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Josh
    Super card! I bet it looks better in person than on that big scan.

The bottom 2 corners are tough to say for sure but I think...solid 7...possible 8 on a good day. Is there any corner wear/abrasion on the face side? If so, then the card may come back a 6.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Nice card, but I'm guessing a 7....t/b centering is a bit off with a slight tilt.
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options
    I agree with the 7. I think the slight tilt and bottom corner keep it out of an 8 holder. But, you never know. I have seen cards in that condition in an 8.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

I think thats got a shot at an 8. Surface might be the only problem. Edges are not a prob w/ PSA and I think those bottom corners look touched, as you said, but I dont think that they are bad enough to get it a 7. Good luck and keep us posted! Awesome card!
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    Nice card. I won't venture a guess on grade, but I'd love to have it.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Y'know, I've been oogling this card for about 2 months. I purchased a 63 mays that I had that other company down the street grade at the naitionals and it came back an 8.5, the same guy also sold me a 54 Lasorda RC that came back an 8. He's convinced it's an 8, I convinced him it was a 7, and I had no problem paying 7 money for it. It is absolutely gorgeous to look at. If it comes back in a 7 holder I'll resubmit in hopes of an 8. It's really very, very close. Depends on the day I suppose. I just love Sandy's smile in the pic, and color is fantastic on this card. There is a slight tilt (<1%) left to right. I wasn't sure how the rough cut edges were allowed on 57T so I can't speak to those. The top 2 corners are outstanding, and the bottom two are obviously touched. The scan actually is a very good representation of the card. (Corners, surface, edges) I think.

It's going in on Monday.

If anyone wants any 63Topps this guy has some fantastic looking specimens. His Mantle is easily a 7, the only soft card is the Clemente which is touched on the bottom colored corners and would probably garner a 6. The rest are solid 7's with quite a few 8's and some very real potential for 9's. Very nice guy as well. He has a fantastic looking 81T Montana RC that I'm going to pick up at the next show. The only reason I haven't picked up some of his other 63's is the fact that most of them are priced at or above PSA 7 SMR. and the ones that aren't are $5-15 cards that I don't want to spend $12 to grade. :S

Boy, every time I look at this card I smile. I just had to own it. Wife wants to shoot me. image

Thanks for the kind words.

-Josh
  • Options
    Great looking card!! Dont know if its your scanner or on the card but youll probably get killed with the snow on his face.PD Good luck
  • Options
    I think an 8 would be a fair grade.
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Well, it came back a 7. I think I'll play the game once or twice and try and get it into an 8 holder.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Who is the guy with the nice '63s?

The Koufax is very nice, but if there is any visible snow in the background I don't see how it will get into an eight holder. Of course that may just be on my infrequent subs. image