Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

ADVICE: My fantasy football draft is tomorrow...

...and I wanted some last minute advice. I am already eyeing Berk Ross(thought I would nip that in the bud) but I wanted to see your thoughts.

I know this is not the right forum for this so lets have fun while it lasts!

Looking for Top 10's in order, reasons for unorthadox selections is appreciated. Also any sleepers or stay aways. Thanks in advance for your info.
EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

Comments

• Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    Well, I don't know your scoring but I will assume it is a performance based league. With that assumption, and not knowing if there might be scoring twists that would change this list, here are my top ten:

1. LT-- The safest and most reliable pick out there, bar none. Consistent performer and still young.
    2. Shaun Alexander-- A TD machine. Out to prove something and show he is worth a big money contract (which might be his last contract).
    3. Priest Holmes-- Injury history is a bit of a risk, so is his age, but you have to remember he did not begin playing full time until his late 20s. Great offensive line in KC. If you draft him, handcuff him with Larry Johnson in the 5th round.
    4. E. James-- Contract year on an awesome offense. A real safe bet.
    5. Kevin Jones-- I have him ranked really high but he should fall lower in drafts. I think the Lions will explode offensively this year and he will benefit. With three potentially dangerous receivers, can have a lot of open running room.
    6. Deuce McCallister-- My gut tells me he will have a solid year this year.
    7. Peyton Manning-- I hate ranking a QB this high but is he is that good. While it may be a stretch to believe he will toss 49 TDs again, he should be a lock for 35 to 40 TDs.
    8. Domanick Davis-- Improving Texan team. If David Carr hits it this year, Double D will benefit.
    9. Willis McGahee-- Latest injury somewhat of a scare and I worry about a rookie QB. Receiving corps not the greatest. I would probably pass on McGahee personally, bad gut feeling, but if you are drafting this low, could be a steal.
    10. Rudi Johnson-- Carson Palmer is looking good this year with an awesome recieving corps. Rudi is solid.

Sleepers? (1) Travis Taylor, MIN; (2) Ryan Moats, RB Phi.; (3) Anquan Boldin (not really a sleeper but falling too deep in drafts I am seeing)

Good luck on your draft. Post the results!
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    #1 - Joey Harrington... because you know the Lions will be playing in the Superbowl this season... er, the stadium for it at least.

It is tough being a loyal Detroit fan, you just know in advance the Lions will find amazing new ways to lose fluff games again this season.

In all honesty, if you have the #1 pick in your draft, I'd take Alexander over Tomlinson (who will probably be #1 pick in 95%+ of drafts).

Best sleeper picks: Ricky Williams (he'll be a regular by the 3rd week), Hines Ward (he'll come cheap and he's still a solid receiver), Santana Moss (another late round WR with huge upside potential)

Best players not to waste a pick on: Willis McGahee (anyone drafting a rookie in the 1st round is insane), Jeremy Shockey (take Daniel Graham a few rounds later instead)
  • Options

<< <i>Ricky Williams (he'll be a regular by the 3rd week) >>

He is suspended for the first 4 weeks of the season I believe.

<< <i>Willis McGahee (anyone drafting a rookie in the 1st round is insane) >>

This is his second season. He isn't a rookie

Now onto your draft. It depends what type of league you are in and where you pick. My thought is running back for your first two picks.
    I also like taking a tight end like Gonzalez in maybe rounds 4 or 5 if he is their.
    Guys that I like at RB include Kevin Jones, Domanick Davis, Lamont Jordan(big year this season), J.J.Arrington(rookie who will get the carries like Kevin Jones did last year. Plus Arizona plays a lot of teams with poor defenses this year. It's his job to lose).
    QB's I like include Kerry Collins(lots of weapons this season), Favre(Not a great Packer defense will lead to a lot of shootouts. Guy still has a canon for an arm and came to camp lighter and in great shape), Palmer and Leftwich.
    WR's:Jerry Porter, Michael Clayton, Larry Fitzgerald and Reggie Wayne(Marvin Harison who??)
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    I have the #1 overall in my league, and I'm going with Peyton. The guy who won our league last year won it with only Peyton and Shaun Alexander as his main guys.

I won't get a top RB, but there is some good depth this year in that department.
  • Options

<< <i>I have the #1 overall in my league, and I'm going with Peyton. The guy who won our league last year won it with only Peyton and Shaun Alexander as his main guys. >>

Well I don't agree with that decision at all. A QB should never be drafted number one. Now you will have a top QB and second tier RB's. Peyton had a season last year that will be very hard to top and the guy also had Alexander as well. Running backs win leagues and that's a fact!
  • Options
    Tomlinson will post big #'s again. Especially if receiving yards are factored into your scoring
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 Good sleeper WR's are Greg Lewis (Philly), Tyrone Calico (Tenn), and David Terrell (NE). These guys will all be there in late rounds. TE Jeremy Stevens (Seattle) will be available late too.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    at all costs, grab Lamont Jordan in the early rounds ... he is going to have 8+ TD's and 1200 yds in my opinion
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    1420Sports- I hope you are right on Lamont Jordan. I have him and Shaun Alexander as my RBs this year. Zef- you might wanna check out THIS site. Its a fantasy football forum but has some useful info. The first few threads has rankings of player on position based on other folks ranking them. Hope your draft goes well!
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    #1 pick should be peyton manning or culpepper. they were the top 2 points last year.

if you pick the qb first you should be able to find a real good rb with your 2nd pick. maybe julius jones falls that far if not him JJ arington from the cards will be there, he is a sleeper this year.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Well, it depends on your league rules and size. My league uses a combination scoring/yardage league and has an auction draft, so ti is a little different then a lot. I am the three time defending champion in our league and my strategy is this. Using a scoring format that allows you to use 2QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1K, and 1 DEF this is how I would proceed.

Two starting QB's and 1 good RB. Our league has 12 teams which means there are plenty of WR, TE, and DEF to go around, get the stars then fill in with scrubs. Peyton Manning is a MUST in any yardage/scoring league, period. According to our online stats service, last year almost 40% of the winning teams had Manning. Get a good second QB, Collins, Culpepper, are still possible in an auction draft, but McNair and Harrington are good secondary choices. Next get a good RB, you probably wont be able to get Tomlinson AND Manning, so go after guys like Juluis Jones, Shawn Alexander, Ahman Green, Jamal Lewis or Priest Holmes. Domanick Davis is the best RB no one has really talked about and would be a steal in the middle part of the draft. STAY AWAY from Ricky Williams, there is going to be some owner way overpay for him. He is only good for 12 games max this year and the temptation for some bud will always make him too risky.

For WR, dont spend big money or early picks for them, they are to inconsistent to use up resources when you should be drafting QB/RB. When you do get them, get good #2 receivers with good teams, ala Brandon Stokely, Drew Bennett.

For TE's, get whatever is left. Gates or Gonzalez will be long gone by the time the prudent team owner thinks about a TE. Let the other owners spend too much money or an early pick on them. Guys like Dallas Clark, Erron Kinney, or another TE on a high scoring team are bound to get a bone tossed their way every now and then.

Kickers are the same as TE, unless you get Vanderjagt or some other kicker that has a team that lights it up, you are just as well with a bad offense who HAS to kick field goals because they cant score TD's

Finally defenses. Defenses are pretty much just an afterthought since any scoring that is done is a fluke play and not nescessarily a good defense. I mean the worst team can return an INT just as well as a good one. In leagues that have special teams you might take a flyer on a team that has historically returned a lot of kicks.

Good luck in your year. As I go for a four-peat with Manning leading the way once again
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options

<< <i>Tyrone Calico (Tenn) >>

This guy has 20 receptions over 2 seasons and had nothing but knee problems last year. I wouldn't waste a pick on him.
    I guess the bottom line is what type of league you are depends on who you will draft. If I had the #1 pick in my league and took a QB I would be laughed out of the room. My league is a RB's league so that's why I have the point of view I do.