Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1980 Topps box from e-bay.... pretty shady

I won a 1980 topps wax box this past week. I received the box today and after opening the 1st 8 packs, I am pretty sure this has been tampered with.

Here are my reasons for thinking this:

1-packs open w/ slightest touch, no stick or seal or anything holding them together
2-1st 8 packs have yielded the same basic set of 15 commons (and I mean the same 15 commons!!!)
3-Packs have up to 4 of same commons in 1 pack (WTF?)
4-Cards in all kinds of different order upon opening (front, back, upside down, backwards, etc...)
5-Not a single card of any value out of 8 packs

I have busted over 7 1980 Topps wax boxes and I have a gut feeling this was a scam. I have e-mailed seller asking for refund and I can send 8 opened and 28 unopened packs ASAP. I also offered to get Steve Hart to verify authenticity.

I am really bummed, busting a box shouldn't be like this.

L i nk

Julen
RIP GURU

Comments

• Options
    Yeah, that sucks. I think we have all been the victim of that scam.

I just opened a "sealed" 72 Topps basketball pack, and virtually all corners were not just touched, but soft. Looked like they'd been in bike spokes.
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    That sucks to hear Julen. I live in MN and set up at the shows, I don't know who that seller is but I'll ask around at the show tomorrow and see what I can find out. I know a couple of guys that buy and sell unopened wax (new and old) and I've never had or heard of a problem from them. I'll let you know if I find anything out. If the guys name is Bruce Primeau, I don't know him...but we'll see if anyone else does.

-Josh
  • Options
    ranarana Posts: 242
    This guy sent me some resealed packs as well, but gave a full refund. I'd say he's definitely either a scammer or a very poor buyer. I'd recommend everyone stay away from him, as I plan to.
  • Options
    Julen,
    Hello! This is Ryan Rutter with Wax From The Past. Feel free to call me about your problem as we're aware of most of the unopened product scammers on eBay. We'd be happy to authenticate your '80 box and send you an appraisal letter with pics of the box and packs in question. This usually puts some backbone in your pocket when you get a refund. We know better than anyone what constitutes legit and resealed material as we've been in business since May, 1980. If possible, check out our latest Sports Collector's Digest color ad in the most recent issue as we just had our best show EVER, purchasing over $788,000 in unopened product at the National. Also if you have any unopened needs, we'll email you our August inventory list! If anyone has unopened needs or product for sale, please email us at ryan@waxfromthepast.com or give us a call: we rarely read these boards! Thanks and our number is below,,,-Ryan

Wax From The Past
    Ryan Rutter
    (614)946-4000
    Cleveland, OH

ryan@waxfromthepast.com
    waxfromthepast@aol.com

PSA Authorized Dealer
    GAI Authorized Dealer
    BGS Master Submission Center
    Wax From The Past
    Ryan Rutter
    Owner
    Cleveland, OH
    (614)946-4000

Global Authentication INC.
    Ryan Rutter
    MASTER Authenticator Of Unopened
    Irvine, CA
    (949)474-1557

GAI Authorized Dealer
    PSA Authorized Dealer

Sports Collectors Digest 13 Year Perfect Customer Service Award
  • Options
    Hello All,
    One last idea. If anyone knows T. Allen Bergquist (MiniMaster), we recently appraised his resealed '75 Mini wax packs from nedsk, and sent him a letter for free. We'll help anyone out with unopened needs as there's an excessive amount of bad product floating around! Thanks again, -Ryan
    Wax From The Past
    Ryan Rutter
    Owner
    Cleveland, OH
    (614)946-4000

Ryan Rutter
    Irvine, CA
    (949)474-1557

GAI Authorized Dealer
    PSA Authorized Dealer

• Options
    kinda bare web site for 25 years of being in business and $788,000 dollars worth of material, i guess it takes awhile to get all that stuff listed on the web

• Options
    gfb,
    Inventory takes a long time when you transport the National deals in a 52' semi and two rental cargo vans. Seeing as how I'm in remission from Leukemia, loading and unloading a semi is long days in the summer heat while getting winded quickly. Again, like I said, if you'd like an inventory list, I'll email one to you. This is why I don't read these boards that often. -Ryan
    Wax From The Past
    Ryan Rutter
    Owner
    Cleveland, OH
    (614)946-4000

Ryan Rutter
    Irvine, CA
    (949)474-1557

GAI Authorized Dealer
    PSA Authorized Dealer

• Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    don;t know about this guy as a seller but he had a 68 pack that I saw up on ebay and it looked resealed.
  • Options
    Mr. Mint advertised his best National ever at $423,000....
    and this guy nearly doubled that?

I was at the National and I think that $788,000 might have bought every unopened pack in the room!

cantakeitnomore
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    Hey WAX - I am in remission from Lymphoma also. Best wishes for you!! Two years in the clear for me. The tough part is I am only 33.

Best Wishes!!!!!!

Troy
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    don;t know about this guy as a seller but he had a 68 pack that I saw up on ebay and it looked resealed.

which guy?

was at the National and I think that $788,000 might have bought every unopened pack in the room

I think he got that from larry fritcsh?
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Pack,
    Are you referring to me? I haven't run an auction on eBay in over two years. As far as the Rosen comment goes, we're set up at another convention together this weekend and we can confirm each others purchases. Don't respond to posts just to antagonize people, again this is why I don't read these boards often. Why waste your time? You don't even know who I am! I'm out,,,-Ryan
    Wax From The Past
    Ryan Rutter
    Owner
    Cleveland, OH
    (614)946-4000

Ryan Rutter
    Irvine, CA
    (949)474-1557

GAI Authorized Dealer
    PSA Authorized Dealer

• Options
    Troy,
    Hello! In the past 3 1/2 years of chemo, radiation, and hospital stays, I've realized that a person can have everything they want, but if they don't have their health, they have nothing! I sincerely wish you the best and stay healthy - feel free to call anytime!,,,-Ryan

Wax From The Past
    Ryan Rutter
    (614)946-4000
    Cleveland, OH

ryan@waxfromthepast.com
    waxfromthepast@aol.com

PSA Authorized Dealer
    GAI Authorized Dealer
    BGS Preferred Submission Center

Wax From The Past
    Ryan Rutter
    Owner
    Cleveland, OH
    (614)946-4000

Ryan Rutter
    Irvine, CA
    (949)474-1557

GAI Authorized Dealer
    PSA Authorized Dealer

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Guys

Wax From the Past has been an SCD advertiser for quite a few years and has the 5 yr. SCD Award which is only given to the best dealers. No unresolved customer complaints I believe.

It's always tempting to be a bit incredulous when a dealer comes on board but Ryan has offered a service to some in need for no fee....that does take some time.

mike

Mike
  • Options
    Don't let these a** hats get to you Ryan. Health comes first and then listing pictures of stupid packs of cards come second. I'm sure if gfb came down with cancer he wouldn't put updating his website at the top of his list!
    Stay strong and stay healthy!
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    I for one Ryan, will be happy to look over your inventory. I for one appreciate you offering your services for the second time here, to a buyer who has been "scammed by re-packed wax". Not only a sound business move, but IMO, says tons about your character!

Also: Gods speed with your recovery and remission!

If you read this Ryan, eMail me when you can w/ inventory, rbdjr@bellsouth.net

Sincerely,

Bob

rbd

edit: p.s. Look forward in viewing your new National inventory! If I make any purchases from "wax from the past", I will post my findings here!

• Options
    Welcome Ryan! With our current chemotherapeutic regimens and radiation techniques, the risk for a marrow-suppression secondary leukemia is extraordinarily low; as you know, this will be in your favor as your remission continues -- hopefully indefinitely. Best of luck to you.
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Just wanted to update on my earlier post. I asked around at the show today and nobody had any idea who this guy was. Surprising to me considering the people that were set up at the show today. I'll keep asking around let you know if I find anything out.

-Josh
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Thanks for looking for reference point for me. He must be out of town this weekend or not checking his e-bay, b/c no response since I sent him a message friday.

Regarding Wax From Past, yea his website sucks really bad, but he is a very legitimate source for unopened material. I think he works for GAI also as a grader, but I don't know how that works out in the entire formula of selling graded material also, maybe he just can't sell his own graded material, heheh.

Update your website Ryan, apparently members here want to buy some stuff online.

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options

<< <i>Don't let these a** hats get to you Ryan. Health comes first and then listing pictures of stupid packs of cards come second. I'm sure if gfb came down with cancer he wouldn't put updating his website at the top of his list!
    Stay strong and stay healthy! >>

Maybe you should just open your mouth and insert foot, i've had my bout with the Big "C", been in R for almost 5 years, and i'm only 37, but i dont use it as an excuse at the drop of a hat because someone asked a legitimate question. Life is tough for everyone, don't use it as a crutch, suck it up and get on with it. I ran my company from my hospital bed, while in chemo, because no one else was gonna do it for me

talk about an a**hat

• Options

<< <i>Pack,
    Are you referring to me? I haven't run an auction on eBay in over two years. As far as the Rosen comment goes, we're set up at another convention together this weekend and we can confirm each others purchases. Don't respond to posts just to antagonize people, again this is why I don't read these boards often. Why waste your time? You don't even know who I am! I'm out,,,-Ryan
    >>

no , I was referring to seller of the resealed 80 wax bax. why would I be referring to you, I think I said "the seller" , I understand you are pi$$ed by some of the others posting insults for no reason but I was trying to provide input on what I saw from the seller that sold the resealed box which I think got taken the wrong way. hope you feel better with your treatments and don't let the negative people on this board get to you. I left for a while but came back because there are people on here that are worth talking to
  • Options

<< <i>Life is tough for everyone, don't use it as a crutch, suck it up and get on with it. I ran my company from my hospital bed, while in chemo, because no one else was gonna do it for me >>

You know I wrote something here but after thinking about it you aren't worth it. I really feel sad for someone like you who has such a shallow view of the world.
    Good luck because somewhere down the road you are going to need it!
  • Options
    Seller contacted me today and wanted authentication from verifiable dealer regarding tampered or non-tampered status.

Would a reputable dealer be selling stuff like this to e-bayers?

Of course not?

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    "Seller contacted me today and wanted authentication from verifiable dealer regarding tampered or non-tampered status."

Yeah, I guess he is saying that he isn't a reputable dealer.
  • Options
    Actually I think the seller still believes he bought good product from the dealer. He mentioned that he and a group of people purchased quite a bit of stuff from this dealer, this is why he believes my box should be legit.

I need to find out who the "reputable" dealer actually was.

He is being kind enough to work w/ me, so props to him for sure.

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options

<< <i>Mr. Mint advertised his best National ever at $423,000....
    and this guy nearly doubled that?

I was at the National and I think that $788,000 might have bought every unopened pack in the room! >>

<< <i>kinda bare web site for 25 years of being in business and $788,000 dollars worth of material, i guess it takes awhile to get all that stuff listed on the web >>

These two comments were made and I altho I'm not looking to get into a "debate" with the people who spoke, it's hard not to see it as an incredulous remark directed at Wax From the Past.

Here's Ryan's latest ad in SCD. You won't get along with anyone in the sportscard business if you drastically over-inflate your buys - obviously he did a great buy from one source and most likely has a "short term" LOC (line of credit) with his bank to make this kind of purchase - most likely a lot of the stuff will be flipped ASAP and other stuff sold to the public - just my guess.

Key - I think that it was not a very nice thing what happened here considering this guy came here and offered his help for free.

There is one small unresolved issue with WFTP with regards to FB left with Nedsk but to be honest I didn't care enough to question it. Some know what I'm talking about.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    What exactly did Ryan buy from this guy?

3/4 of million $$$$ is a lot for whatever?

Julen

RIP GURU
  • Options

<< <i>What exactly did Ryan buy from this guy?

3/4 of million $$$$ is a lot for whatever?

Julen >>

Julen
    There's still plenty of people around the country sitting on large hoards of wax just waiting for the right time to sell.
    I have no idea what a 58T case would go for?! Heck, a full case of 86-7 fleer bkb will go for over 100 grand!
    It would not be hard to spend 750 grand at that rate - there's still guys will 120 ct. 51T red back boxes from the great find of the early 90s.

mike

edit: Ryan Rutter has worked with the Baseball Card Kid, I believe - Mark Murphy and altho he may not be the biggest fish in the pond, he's not some "show schmo" either. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anyone has to kiss his WS ring or anything - I just feel he's owed more respect than some are giving him.
    I know I wouldn't want to be put in this position after I tried to help.
    Mike
  • Options
    yea true dat.

just wish i had 1 case or 2 of the vintage wax in my garage.

right now seems like the right time for me!!!

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Julen,

Sorry to hear of your bad box of 80 Wax! I would definately take advantage of Ryan's offer to inspect the packs. His Letter difining his inspection of the cards is Top Shelf and would go a long way in documenting what appears to be fact with regard to the reseals you received.

The feable remarks handed out by the lame duck's who shame themselves by speaking negatively of what they know nothing about is simply sad and pathetic!

I have first hand experience dealing with Ryan of Wax From The Past and he is as legit as your ever going to want to deal with if your looking for unopened material. He did me a grand favor when I was in an unfurtunate situation with a box of 75 Topps Mini reseals I was sold on eBay. Ryan kindly offered his assistance and came through in a big way! He provided a very professional inspection and documentation letter. When it came down to putting the nails to the seller in getting me my refund Ryan (without my knowlege)even made a personal contact with the seller and gave a pitch to that seller to refund my money! In combination with several other methods of documenting my evidence against this seller I was able to get that refund!

How many dealers out there do you suppose would go out of their way like that to help 1 person? 1 potential customer? That my friends is good will to your fellow man and exceptional customer service skills on the part of a business professional the likes of which are not seen very often these days!

remember to read paragraph two (gfb). What a sad and angry person you seem to be!

Good Luck with your refund Julen!

• Options
    Wow! Thanks to all the individuals who support me! Yes, $788+ is legit, and was in cash, and thanks to Stone for posting our ad! Thanks to Mini for sharing his experience and thank you to Julen for saying positives. Thanks to everyone else as well. As of 4:30 EST today, I'm in the Cleveland Clinic receiving gammaguard on I V drip. It's only one night though, and I'll be back to business as usual tomorrow night and Friday A.M.! I hope everyone can wait an extra day or so for their unopened shipments to arrive as I can't help it. This blood product I'm receiving complements my immune system. Still, I laying here with my laptop and my phone, so feel free to email or call (614)946-4000. Unopened is King! -Ryan
    Wax From The Past
    Ryan Rutter
    Owner
    Cleveland, OH
    (614)946-4000

Ryan Rutter
    Irvine, CA
    (949)474-1557

GAI Authorized Dealer
    PSA Authorized Dealer

• Options
    I almost forgot: The nedsk ordeal is over! I've received a refund for my searched '81, '84, '86 FB cut card cases and have helped dozens get their money back. I may start a post highlighting this topic. Out of all the garbage, I only received one legit pack - the '58 FB. The '58 BB pack never got to me, and I shouldn't have given Ned a positive due to his professionalism, I know this now! Anyway, yes, Mark Murphy and I set up together for years and spent much $$$ together as well. He's just doing his own thing now and I'm sure you'll see him again soon! Remember, feel free to email or call and the best of health to everybody. -Ryan
    Wax From The Past
    Ryan Rutter
    Owner
    Cleveland, OH
    (614)946-4000

Ryan Rutter
    Irvine, CA
    (949)474-1557

GAI Authorized Dealer
    PSA Authorized Dealer

• Options
    Steve e-mailed me this morning and sadly confirmed my suspicions.
    _________
    Hello!
    I just got back in town and looked at your 1980 Topps wax box. If this box was offered to me for sale, I would pass on it.

Some of the packs are resealed, some are not resealed and some I would not want to guess as they are brutal looking. They are beat up pretty bad. But also, it is a box that has been built from a mixture of other boxes. There are 3 different blue tones on the wrappers. That didn't happen when Topps made these boxes. So someone took 8 packs from this box, 14 packs from another box and 14 packs from a 3rd box to make this box(those numbers are just an example). Therefore, you cannot say it is a fresh Topps box. They all pretty much have corner wear, some more than others. I wouldn't buy this box at any price if it was offered to me."
    _________

I believe the seller will understand he bought bunk goods from the dealer now.

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Julen, guys do that when they are looking for a specific card. prolly in this case the Henderson rookie. I remm in the mid 80's I bought a 84 case from a so=called respected dealer and in a case of wax one would expect at least 12 of each card. Well in this sealed 84 case that came in a 87 case there was but 3 mattinglys. What they do is they open a few boxes from a case, see whereabouts the hot card is then do that for each box. They then create boxes with whatever is left over. pretty slimy and shady thing to do

kit young would be a guy that i would never ever again do business with.

<disclaimer>

i am not saying that this is what he does or did.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Bruce's reply says it all:

"You now have my e-mail address.

Unfortunately this is not going to work. I don’t know you from anyone and you could have purchased a bogus box from someone else and now I have to refund you the money? I just got stuck with bogus packs myself to the tune of $1,200 with no one that will refund my money. My ad does not state that I take refunds and at this point I am not going to take back a box that is almost 1/3 opened. If you suspected that the packs were resealed you should have sent them back – not opened 8 of them and then ask me to take it back."

When did 8/36 packs become 33% by the way????

Jackass

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    file an ebay fraud complaint. you have a letter from a dealer stating they are reselaed so ebay will take your side. I had to do this once and I won and the thief got booted from ebay
  • Options
    Since this guy also sent me resealed stuff (and I hoped it was a one time-error, but I guess not), I'll be happy to back you up if it helps. Be sure and leave negative feedback, so others know and stop buying. I didn't because I thought it was an innocent error and I got a refund, but I think we now know he's a scammer.
  • Options
    I posted a followup to my feedback stating my packs were reseals. I hope that helps a bit to save others the hassle of dealing with this guy.
  • Options
    Any resolution on this issue?
  • Options
    nope, not yet.

Bruce seems to be a little stubborn and disinclined to believe he actually bought some "BUNK" product.

I sent box to Steve Hart and he confirmed that box was not fresh. The packs actually had different seals on them, meaning the box was a mixture of other boxes. Further, some packs were resealed and the cards were in basically horrible condition. That being said, the actual packs that were originally in the box were/are in vg/ex condition.

I am considering asking him to refund 28 unopened packs and I will eat loss.

IMHO e-bay is pretty much a coin flip in buying unopened cardboard.

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Seller has broken down and is going to refund my bunk wax box.

Major headache for everyone involved, so please don't ever try this w/o professional supervision.

Steve Hart's verbal was not effective in least bit. Ryan Rutter's letter of appraisal was the ace in my deck I believe. I didn't give seller a (-) since he did work w/ me (albeit VERY reluctantly) and I also told him he could have Letter of Appraisal to show to seller who sold him the $1200 worth of bunk, searched, resealed, compost to hopefully get his cheese back also.

I have subsequently promised Ryan that I would spend the equivalent on some stuff from him, but right now he doesn't have any stuff in inventory I either want or can afford.

YEA!

Julen

PS: I don't really drink, but I tried chilled sugar-free Red Bull and Jagermeister and it was pretty friggin good.
    RIP GURU