Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Whatever happened to...

these boards..

I have been reading these boards for many years. They were so informative. I thought I knew baseball cards and then I began reading posts about different years, variations, print runs, how to tell about fakes, etc..

I remember every time an auction house had an auction end numerous board members would post their results, the items they won that night, it used to be pages deep with discussions about the items, the history behind them et all.

Now, every other thread is I got ripped off, this person/dealer gets special treatment, oh the pixel count is off by 1 pixel how could they give that card the grade, its really become a bashing, bit**ing message board vs the collectors boards and fun reading we all were accustomed to.

Don't get me wrong any type of fraud should be uncovered and discussed and yes healthy disscussion about a card or its grade is normal, but it always seem to turn the corner to a personal insult.

I can't change it, and while some of the people who used to post have moved on, each of us brings something unique in knowledge about certian cards, years, collections, and dealings with sellers and dealers, to this forum.

How refreshing it was to read the 57 topps discussion thread, it was like we turned on the time machine and the thread was about cards again. I have no desire to collect the set, yet I learned so much about pops, the cards, colors..it was so nice and pleasant to read.

I have learned so much about cards from some of you in so many areas, and If I have a question about a card or year I know where to turn, heres a few examples ( I am not calling you out in anyway so please dont take it that way)

If I need info on 1978 material who else besides softparade is better to answer my question.
Info on The 1952 Mantles A7...sorry dont know the whole handle but I could look it up..
I want to know about anything in 1971 - 1975 ask Dakota
Johnny Bench..well there is Mr. Dolan..
Mike Schmidt cards...humm let me think..OHHH I know, Mike Schmidt
Carew..well you have choices.. Carew4me..
Hockey...well knuckles seems like he might be able to answer a question or 2.
How to post picture of any sort with respect to any item..ask Mr. Stone

If I left someone out it wasnt intentional.

I could keep going but you get my point..The knowledge here on these boards is second to none..

I hope we as a family can keep the personal bashing out, and use these boards as a learning tool, discussion, showing off new purchases, exciting discoveries, and plain old harmless joking and fun.

I for one enjoyed the people I have met here, and I hope to continue to learn on these boards....because.. IJustLoveCards

The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set

Comments

• Options
    lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    can I get an amen!
  • Options
    Amen
  • Options
    I'll second that.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    Everybody knows when you go to the show
    You can't take the kids along
    You've gotta read the paper
    And know the code of G, PG and R and X
    And you gotta know what the movie's about
    Before you even go
    Tex Ritter's gone and Disney's dead
    And the screen is filled with sex

Whatever happened to Randolph Scott
    Ridin' the train alone
    Whatever happened to Gene and Tex
    And Roy and Rex, The Durango Kid
    Oh, whatever happened to Randolph Scott
    His horse plain as could be
    Has happened to the best of me

Everybody's tryin' to make a comment
    About our doubts and fears
    True Grit's the only movie
    I've really understood in years
    You gotta take your analyst along
    To see if it's fit to see
    Has happened to the industry

Whatever happened to Johnny Mack Brown
    And Alan Rocky Lane
    Whatever happened to Lash LaRue
    I'd love to see them again
    Whatever happened to Smiley Burnette
    Tim Holt and Gene Autry
    Whatever happened to all of these

·p_A·
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Now stone will lead us in a rendition of shall we gather at the river..........

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭✭
    Most of the longtime collectors and contributors are gone.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    I have been pleased to see in the PSA Set Registry Forum a recent insurgence of specific topic discussion threads. There has always been the Nolan Ryan thread, but now we have a 72 Topps thread along with a 75 and 78 Topps thread etc.

I believe these threads and their discussions are what the Forums were meant for.........image
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IJLC
    I haven't been here long enough to really have a handle on your feelings.

I will say, the registry forum is better suited for questions on the nuances of set collecting.

Since I have been here, things ebb and flow.

Today an agument of this and tomorrow, that.

Sometimes a good ole fashioned brawl wakes us up out of a stupor and some good ideas emerge.

I agree, personal insults are not appropriate and argumentative.

I have noticed more posts on ebay questions - but that is the right of anyone to post their questions or comments. They will either get a response or be ignored.

There used to be more modern collectors? Many participants here have either moved on or are using another board to air their thoughts.

Finally, I agree, I would like to see more discussions on items of interest. But, lately there has been a narrow area of interest - and that's just the way it goes I guess.

mike

Mike
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a separate board for ebay rants, scams, etc.
  • Options
    Or a separate board for rants about ranting.

• Options

<< <i>There used to be more modern collectors? Many participants here have either moved on or are using another board to air their thoughts.

Finally, I agree, I would like to see more discussions on items of interest. But, lately there has been a narrow area of interest - and that's just the way it goes I guess.

mike >>

Mike, agreed. When I [gasp] started a thread regarding 1993 Finest Refractors, I received several nasty PMs from your colleagues and another email about how "this forum is reserved for vintage collectors only."

Ebb and flow. How about an "ebb and flow" with kind vintage collectors that are more open-minded and/or more modern/90's collectors?
  • Options

<< <i>Or a separate board for rants about ranting.

image >>

Here is where we direct those foaming at the mouth - ranting and raving!

Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Mike, agreed. When I [gasp] started a thread regarding 1993 Finest Refractors, I received several nasty PMs from your colleagues and another email about how "this forum is reserved for vintage collectors only."

Ignore them. your topic was a great one. i didnt reply cuz i did not know anything about them.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>When I [gasp] started a thread regarding 1993 Finest Refractors, I received several nasty PMs from your colleagues and another email about how "this forum is reserved for vintage collectors only." >>

That's just deplorable!

This board used to light up with talk about modern issues - rookie prospects - back when Ranch, Beachbum, Roach were here. Helio used to post more back then along with mia's like Aknot, Bearsnum, Kallmalonesay etc.

JoeStalin and BKAH used have plenty to say about the hobby and modern a year ago.

I hate to see people go - when the board teems with people talking about everything from modern to vintage, there is excitement in the air.

Ebb and flow? Yes. By fall, this year, look for an increase in activity here!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Ok, I have been sitting on the sidelines reading this and yes there are some rants and raves on here, but overall I think when someone posts about an Ebay auction it serves more as a headsup, hey watch out for this seller or issues with this buyer. I think that most of all everyone contributes their opinions on different topics, whether we agree or not is ok. I myself do not have unlimited funds to buy the expensive items that are usually sold at auctions. So my interest at this point lies in my 75s. I enjoy reading what everyone has to say on here with everyone having interests in different area is just fine with me.

Stingray
  • Options
    Sting
    I totally understand what you mean.

First, and cardinal rule: everyone has equal say and can talk about what they want.

Don't take the rant and rave too seriously - it was an exaggeration of the issue - not meant to insult anyone.

I agree, the info on ebay that we get here is invaluable.

My take on the rant and rave is more the guys who come here to just stir shit - some would say the trolls - that's what I think it refers to IMO.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    ijlc,

I've only been on these boards since May, but I can relate to what you're saying. I'm in this hobby for the fun of it. Like at home or at work, it just doesn't pay to get personal and nasty. I'd like to feel that I'm among people I can respect and trust here. I'm slowly establishing some fun relationships via posts and PMs and really enjoying that part. It's the Nasties that turn me off and cause me to be really selective of the posts I read. I avoid certain members' posts just because I don't want to have my positive energy drained.

I've been saving a sentiment I found in a Fortune Cookie a while back. Now seems like a good time and place to share it:

"Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause."

There are some knowledgable contributors and people with a fantastic sense of humor here that I plan on enjoying for a long time to come. I hope you don't let the Nasties get to you, although it can be a challenge at times...

hh
  • Options

<< <i> I hope you don't let the Nasties get to you, although it can be a challenge at times... >>

Good post Mike. There are times that I can put this away for a week but not often.

And, I don't think that IJLC was looking to censor the ebay chatter - it's nice to see a balance of ideas without feeling threatened for a particular POV>

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mike, agreed. When I [gasp] started a thread regarding 1993 Finest Refractors, I received several nasty PMs from your colleagues and another email about how "this forum is reserved for vintage collectors only." >>

what board did you post the topic on? this one? if so, who the hell wrote you those PM's?
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    I thought I remember hearing a similiar story on one of these threads a while ago about someone posting on another forum (Beckett or Network54), were they posted about something modern and they started ripping on him for that.

Stingray
  • Options

<< <i>I thought I remember hearing a similiar story on one of these threads a while ago about someone posting on another forum (Beckett or Network54), were they posted about something modern and they started ripping on him for that.

Stingray >>

Sting
    That was the guy who had the Clemente auto in Japan - he was told, and by some in not too friendly terms, that this was not the place to be.

Then, he got a lesson on the modern day practice of hacking up memorabilia for sports card company gain.

mike
    Mike
  • Options

Bingo, that was it.

Thanks

Stingray
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Happy to say I've only chopped up index cards to make my cards out of thus far. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mike, agreed. When I [gasp] started a thread regarding 1993 Finest Refractors, I received several nasty PMs from your colleagues and another email about how "this forum is reserved for vintage collectors only." >>

what board did you post the topic on? this one? if so, who the hell wrote you those PM's? >>

I posted my message on this board, not in the vintage section. I actually can't even remember if there was a vintage section, but I think there was; in any case, I posted in this forum.

As far as WHO sent the emails, I don't want to be a flamethrower. I just want to get along, respect others' opinions, and have mine respected as well.

I am encouraged by these responses. Thank you.
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    I just love IJustLoveCards. One day we'll merge our collections and have the best '55 / Bench combo set in the world.

• Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Everybody knows when you go to the show
    You can't take the kids along
    You've gotta read the paper
    And know the code of G, PG and R and X
    And you gotta know what the movie's about
    Before you even go
    Tex Ritter's gone and Disney's dead
    And the screen is filled with sex

Ridin' the train alone
    Whatever happened to Gene and Tex
    And Roy and Rex, The Durango Kid
    Oh, whatever happened to Randolph Scott
    His horse plain as could be

Everybody's tryin' to make a comment
    About our doubts and fears
    True Grit's the only movie
    I've really understood in years
    You gotta take your analyst along
    To see if it's fit to see

Whatever happened to Johnny Mack Brown
    And Alan Rocky Lane
    Whatever happened to Lash LaRue
    I'd love to see them again
    Whatever happened to Smiley Burnette
    Tim Holt and Gene Autry
    Whatever happened to all of these
    Has happened to the industry >>

Anyone who can quote the Statler Brothers, yet still kick ass, is my hero.
  • Options

<< <i>I just love IJustLoveCards. One day we'll merge our collections and have the best '55 / Bench combo set in the world.

image >>

Nice photoshop!!!

Start the presses!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i> I just want to get along, respect others' opinions, and have mine respected as well. >>

Thats what its all about. I love seeing other peoples take on things that make me open up my eyes a little wider and wonder why I couldn't have seen it that way before.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Nice photoshop!!!

Start the presses! >>

If there's anyone who knows there's no Topps Heritage card of Bench like that, it's Stone. image
  • Options
    Jr,

What a beautiful piece of artwork!!!

I didnt write the post to insult anyone or curtail threads on a various subjects in fact, good discussions and differences of opinon are always healthy.

I look at these boards and the members here as collectors who understand each others obsession. When a particular card comes in the mail, or you get that awesome card in a unopened pack pull, you turn to your loved one and they look at you with the craziest face and say " thats nice dear", and continue on their merry way. We sit there saying" Honey, you don't understand, This is a ..blah blah, blah..the same response is illicited, " I know dear it's very nice."

So, where do we turn to share our excitment, we come here, to others that actually Do Understand the reason for our excitment.

Thats what these boards are all about, at least to me..To share the wonderful enjoyment we get from our collections.
    To each and every one of you, I hope that you find the love for this hobby as I have, and weather you agree with me, or not, I respect each and everyones opinon, becuse its everyone of us that keeps this hobby going and fosters its growth by passing it on to new collectors, young and old alike.

The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set