Home Autographs Forum
Options

When did sharpies come into play?

when did people start signing pics with sharpies? what's the likelihood that a guy who died in 1987 signed a pic with a sharpie?
Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
lsuconnman@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    Hi Duner,
    Very likely. They were invented in 1964 and in general use by 1970. There are many signatures signed in Sharpie from the 1970's onwards. Jackie Gleason, who also died in 1987, signed a lot in Sharpie from the early 70's on. Most advanced collectors though prefer ballpoint or fountain pen as they actually cut the surface so to speak - Sharpies do not and lend themselves to forgery - especially when "crushed". They obscure details by bleeding into themselves like a paint pen. So, whose signature are we talking about?

Best,
    Billy
  • Options
    Billy this was the auction i was looking at....for 9.99 it might be worth playing the lottery, but there are clearly a lot of red flags

Maravich Auto
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used Sharpies in 1987.

But then again, there wasn't much call for my autograph. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...and I'm not dead.

Yet.

I just smell that way.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    The autorgraph in this thread, is the first autograph I got with a Sharpie most of them have been with Bic or a ballpoint pen.