Home Sports Talk
Options

Moss better on " grass " after all

Comments

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    I don't understand the negative stigma that surrounds marijuana.

I've never used, but can't for the life of me the negative press it receives. It doesn't kill people like tobacco and nicotene, it's not addictive like alcohol, yet there's a huge ruckus whenever some celebrity (or ex-president) is caught using.

If it's his way of dealing with stress, I say more power to him.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An NFL player publicly admitting to using illegal drugs. Simply stupid beyond belief! Randy is just looking for trouble...big trouble...and he is gonna get trouble with a capital T from the NFL.
  • Options
    Heck, everyone I know under 45 thinks pot is no big deal. It's those old fogeys that think it's the same as crystal meth or something.

Funny, this will get him in less trouble than steroids.
  • Options
    Hey Ax, perhaps it's a little more dangerous than your making it out to be

Here are some facts about marijuana

Possessing marijuana is a criminal offense. A person arrested for possession of marijuana can be charged with either a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on the amount involved and may receive a prison sentence.

The marijuana available today is stronger than the marijuana available in the 1960s. It also may be laced with other drugs. Because it's impossible to judge its potency just by looking at it, its effects are hard for users to regulate.

Tetrahydrocannabinol, the main, active ingredient in marijuana, temporarily alters brain functioning that affects sensory perception, reflexes, and coordination. Because it changes the way people see, hear, and feel, it can impair judgement. Driving under the influence of marijuana is extremely dangerous. The fact that many teens smoke marijuana while they are drinking alcohol makes driving even more lethal.

Though many people believe it isn't, marijuana is physically addicting. Each year, 100,000 people in the United States alone are treated for marijuana dependence. Heavy marijuana smokers who quit smoking may experience the same symptoms of withdrawal as users of nicotine or other drugs.

Studies suggest that marijuana may cause permanent short- and long-term memory loss.

Smoking marijuana can release inhibitions, causing people to engage in risky social and sexual behavior. In recent years, the consequences of such behavior has become deadly; since contracting AIDS is a possible consequence of unsafe sexual practices.

As with any excessive drug use, smoking marijuana can interfere with school performance, extra-curricular activities, and peer relations. Heavy smokers often lose their sense of motivation and find it difficult to concentrate. Particularly potent marijuana can even induce paranoia.

Regular use of marijuana may play a role in causing cancer (particularly lung cancer) and problems with the immune or reproductive systems. Studies also show that someone who smokes five joints a day may be taking in as many cancer-causing chemicals as someone who smokes a full pack of cigarettes every day.

For additional information, contact The National Institute on Drug Abuse at 1-888-NIH-NIDA or www.nida.nih.gov.
  • Options
    Marijuiana causes lung cancer? Uhm, no. The government likes to keep the drugs THEY sell legal, while making things that grow naturally illegal - how big a loss would big pharma take if pot were legal? Smoking pot is not going to endanger you - it's a plant grown in the dirt...there isn't any carcinogens added like in smokes. Smoking a couple joints isn't going to kill you - smoking cigarettes is so bad, just being around someone who smokes can kill you!

And of course, anything out of moderation is bad for you. But to sit there and say that smoking a joint is akin to smoking a cigarette - that's just bad science.

Kobe, you say that pot causes the release of inhibations. Wait, alcohol does that too! Should we go back to the days of prohibition?

Pot should absolutely be legal. But the government, being squarely in the pockets of the big pharma companies, will NEVER allow that to happen.
  • Options

<< <i>An NFL player publicly admitting to using illegal drugs. Simply stupid beyond belief! Randy is just looking for trouble...big trouble...and he is gonna get trouble with a capital T from the NFL. >>

But players are arrested and convicted of battering their wives, yet they see little to no trouble with the NFL. How hypocritical is that?

• Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    POT MAKES YOU LAZY! i know a lot of people who smoke it, and they are some lazy people!
  • Options

<< <i>POT MAKES YOU LAZY! i know a lot of people who smoke it, and they are some lazy people! >>

There are a whole hell of a lot more people who are lazy and don't smoke it, either.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    While there are a few nuggets of truth in your post, KOBE, many of the items on that list are laughable. I'm not saying it's a completely innocuous plant, but your "facts" likely came from organizations with a vested interested in the continued illegality of the demon weed. Heck, I'm surprised NIDA didn't trot out the specious gateway drug argument.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Where did you get those "facts", kobe? It would be nice if you can provide medical expert links as well.

Propaganda is powerful, my friend.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>No offense Ax, but i'll go with what i've read in these articles >>

It's funny when people think the government bans things that are hamful to us in our best interests, that 'the government wants us to be safe!'

If that's the case, why is alcohol still legal? When countless thousands die in drunk driving accidents every year?

Why is tobacco still legal? When the number of deaths from smoking are countless? Second hand smoke kills people too. Where's the government intervention on it?

The laws of what's legal and what's not are simply in place to make big business more profitable...and has nothing to do with protecting the citizens of this country.
  • Options
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    reading this thread i can imagine some people here smoke it? getting very defensive over it!
  • Options

<< <i>reading this thread i can imagine some people here smoke it? getting very defensive over it! >>

I've never smoked pot, but I find it ridiculous the amount of law enforcement resources that is spent on it, the number of people in jail because of it, simple because the all-powerful pharma companies don't want a natural remedy that works as effectively as pot to hurt their profits.
  • Options

<< <i>reading this thread i can imagine some people here smoke it? getting very defensive over it! >>

I'll admit that not only have I smoked it, but inhaled as well image

I'll be one of the last to promote it; however, I will defend it when someone states misleading statistics.
  • Options
    KOBE posted some helpful information. There was no propaganda there - looked like the facts to me. If someone wants to ignore these facts and keep smoking the wacky weed...then that is their prerogative.

Someone I knew back in High School who was a heavy marijuana smoker, was stoned and driving his van. He pulled out in an intersection and an 18 wheeler crushed him and his van, killing him instantly. I have to fully believe that being stoned affected his judgment and concentration.

So if wanting to smoke dope, again...that is anyone's prerogative but the real propaganda is stating that smoking dope isn't dangerous.
  • Options
    Kobe, everything you said about mary-jane, also applies to alcohol, and it's legal.

Why do you think that is?
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>No offense Ax, but i'll go with what i've read in these articles >>

It's funny when people think the government bans things that are hamful to us in our best interests, that 'the government wants us to be safe!'

If that's the case, why is alcohol still legal? When countless thousands die in drunk driving accidents every year?

Why is tobacco still legal? When the number of deaths from smoking are countless? Second hand smoke kills people too. Where's the government intervention on it?

The laws of what's legal and what's not are simply in place to make big business more profitable...and has nothing to do with protecting the citizens of this country. >>

Ax....
    simple reason to answer why the gov't permits the sale of tobacco and alcohol.....a little something that I'd guess most cops would not state
    They can control and regulate the sales of both and they get a buttload of tax revenue from both.

How many people do you know that grow their own tobacco or brew their own beer?

The gov't cannot control MJ.....but IF they could you bet your butt it would be legal. Problem is though, they'd have to find a way to grow, harvest, roll, package, and distribute it and do so at a cost that would make homegrowing not worth the hassle involved.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>POT MAKES YOU LAZY! i know a lot of people who smoke it, and they are some lazy people! >>

i prefer "laid back"..

·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>reading this thread i can imagine some people here smoke it? >>

·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>KOBE posted some helpful information. There was no propaganda there - looked like the facts to me. >>

Not to get political but that's like saying Fahrenheit 9/11 was factual. In other words, there may be some truths attached to the statement but overal it's not factual. They use misleading tactics to convince you of their point of view.

Point by point:

<< <i>Here are some facts about marijuana

Possessing marijuana is a criminal offense. A person arrested for possession of marijuana can be charged with either a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on the amount involved and may receive a prison sentence. >>

True

<< <i>The marijuana available today is stronger than the marijuana available in the 1960s. >>

Misleading tactic. Should state "Some marijuana.." which is true. Having said that, there's also some that is less potent

<< <i>It also may be laced with other drugs. Because it's impossible to judge its potency just by looking at it, its effects are hard for users to regulate. >>

Misleading tactic. ANYTHING could be laced if you really think about it. A waiter "could" drop a Mickey in your drink just as easily as a dude dropping one in his date's.

<< <i>Tetrahydrocannabinol, the main, active ingredient in marijuana, temporarily alters brain functioning that affects sensory perception, reflexes, and coordination. Because it changes the way people see, hear, and feel, it can impair judgement. >>

A + B must equal C image

<< <i>Driving under the influence of marijuana is extremely dangerous. The fact that many teens smoke marijuana while they are drinking alcohol makes driving even more lethal. >>

What propaganda? The only purpose of this statement is for shock value; especially when using the word "fact", without documentation, in an argument.

<< <i>Though many people believe it isn't, marijuana is physically addicting. Each year, 100,000 people in the United States alone are treated for marijuana dependence. Heavy marijuana smokers who quit smoking

<< <i>may >>

experience the same symptoms of withdrawal as users of nicotine or other drugs. >>

There are no medical facts to prove this one way or another. Also, notice that word "may"? That is not stating a fact... It's an opinion.

<< <i>Studies suggest that marijuana may cause permanent short- and long-term memory loss. >>

Misleading... Studies have suggested it both ways.

<< <i>Smoking marijuana can release inhibitions, causing people to engage in risky social and sexual behavior. In recent years, the consequences of such behavior has become deadly; since contracting AIDS is a possible consequence of unsafe sexual practices. >>

Now this is straight up a scare tactic. They are correlating pot smokers with sexual behavior, death, and AIDS. Going through puberty releases the same inhibitions, ya know.

<< <i>As with any excessive drug use, smoking marijuana can interfere with school performance, extra-curricular activities, and peer relations. Heavy smokers often lose their sense of motivation and find it difficult to concentrate. >>

Yes, smoking pot makes you lazy and your mind wonder.

<< <i>Particularly potent marijuana can even induce paranoia. >>

I'm not familar with any cases of someone being admitted to mental hospital due to pot smoking alone.

<< <i>Regular use of marijuana

<< <i>may >>

play a role in causing cancer (particularly lung cancer) and problems with the immune or reproductive systems. >>

There's that word again, may. May is not stating facts, only opinions. And I bet most of those studied were cigarette smokers. Again, A+B=C?

<< <i>Studies also show that someone who smokes five joints a day may be taking in as many cancer-causing chemicals as someone who smokes a full pack of cigarettes every day. >>

I wonder how big these 5 joints are? Small, medium, large, Rastafarian-Super-Sized? And do you realize how much is 5 joints? If someone smokes 5 joints (or at least my size) a day, they are doing absolutely NOTHING all day. Sleep, eat, and go to the bathroom. Would be kinda hard to support that habit if they ain't working image

<< <i>Someone I knew back in High School who was a heavy marijuana smoker, was stoned and driving his van. He pulled out in an intersection and an 18 wheeler crushed him and his van, killing him instantly. I have to fully believe that being stoned affected his judgment and concentration. >>

I'm sorry to hear about your friend and I'll leave it at that.

<< <i>So if wanting to smoke dope, again...that is anyone's prerogative but the real propaganda is stating that smoking dope isn't dangerous. >>

All depends from which side you sit on; it goes both ways/

/rant
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I think Bob Saget pretty much said it best in Half Baked...
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I knew this was going to turn into this... but I think the point here was that a pro athlete admitted to breaking the law and breaking the league's substance abuse policy. Brilliant move on his part, and he should be fined and/or suspended accordingly.
  • Options
    Hey look...Society will decide through laws what is beneficial or harmful to society as a whole and make things legal or illegal. Is there hypocrisy? - you betcha - always has been and probably always will be. For example Pennsylvania is installing approximately 61,000 slot machines throughout their state which the politicians know, and everyone knows is going to create more gambling addicts causing suicides, homelessness, destitution, bankruptcies, etc. Of course there are also problems associated with alcohol and tobacco as some here have noted. And myself, I would be a hypocrite if I didn't admit that I occassionally enjoy a good cigar and a few cold beers - some would say that is "morally" wrong. I am against arresting people for marijuana use but all this being said, I still think that keeping marijuana illegal is in the best interests of society for a number of valid reasons - not just stevek talking but the fact that marijuana is illegal, except for certain medicinal purposes, throughout the United States. I think we should keep it that way - but "we the people" will decide on this through the voting booths.
  • Options
    Now if they ever made collecting baseball cards illegal, I do believe there would be mass rioting in the streets and I would be among the participants image
  • Options

<< <i>I think Bob Saget pretty much said it best in Half Baked... >>

·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i> I still think that keeping marijuana illegal is in the best interests of society for a number of valid reasons - not just stevek talking but the fact that marijuana is illegal, except for certain medicinal purposes, throughout the United States. I think we should keep it that way - but "we the people" will decide on this through the voting booths. >>

We, the people, have voted marijuana legal in many states, but the federal government keeps stepping in and trying to overrule it.

What are the best interests of society are being served by keeping pot illegal? How dangerous are those who smoke weed? Like I said, how many countless hours of law enforcement are spent cutting down plants, arresting users? How many thousands of lives have been ruined by having to go to jail simply for enjoying smoking a plant that grows naturally in the dirt?

The United States is so far behind the rest of the world. Hell, 1/3 of the country wants 'intelligent design' taught in our schools! When are we going to wake up and realize the government doesn't care about us, and doesn't care about our well being? That the only laws that are passed are ones that make the government (and those in power) more money?

• Options
    Never was attempting to make a case whether it should be legalized or not. I was just trying to state that perhaps it's a little more dangerous than Ax was making it sound in an earlier post.

I personally pray neither one of my kids touch the stuff, as well as cigerattes when they get older
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Axtell....since I don't think you saw my post at the bottom of page 1.....
    it was in response to one of yours.

Ax....
    simple reason to answer why the gov't permits the sale of tobacco and alcohol.....a little something that I'd guess most cops would not state
    They can control and regulate the sales of both and they get a buttload of tax revenue from both.

The gov't cannot control MJ.....but IF they could you bet your butt it would be legal. Problem is though, they'd have to find a way to grow, harvest, roll, package, and distribute it and do so at a cost that would make homegrowing not worth the hassle involved.
  • Options

<< <i>I think Bob Saget pretty much said it best in Half Baked... >>

<< <i>Marijuana is not a drug. I used to suck **** for coke. >>

• Options

<< <i>Axtell....since I don't think you saw my post at the bottom of page 1.....
    it was in response to one of yours.

Ax....

The gov't cannot control MJ.....but IF they could you bet your butt it would be legal. Problem is though, they'd have to find a way to grow, harvest, roll, package, and distribute it and do so at a cost that would make homegrowing not worth the hassle involved. >>

Absolutely true. In addition, if they didn't have pot farmers and users to bust, what would these drug commissions and law enforcement do? Have to work to catch real criminals?

I know most law enforcement are good hardworking folk. But making them bust pot farms instead of working to make the streets safer from non-violent criminals, solving violent crimes, seems counter-productive.
  • Options
    Haven't you seen "Reefer Madness"?

All pot smokers are violent, sex-straved, raging lunatics image
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Randy Moss is an idiot, plain and simple. I am a Vikings fan, and while I have been amazed at his physical abilities since he came into the NFL, I have been even more amazed at his breaking of both the NFL's rules and his disregard for our laws. Maybe pot should be legal, but it's not. Maybe it should be legal to run your car into people you don't agree with, but that's not either.

I have watched him very closely the last several years and my opinion of him as a player is he is the single most overrated athlete ever. He piles up great stats, but when was the last time you saw him come up with a big play to give his team a victory or tie at the end of a game? It seems to me in a lifetime of watching football the "great ones" always found a way to beat you and NEVER QUIT! Randy walks off the field with time on the clock (I know.... only a few seconds) in frustration. So long Randy, I'll miss the fantastic (first quarter) plays, but I won't miss you.

By the way, shouldn't admitting to violating the drug policy be the same as a failed test?

As long as we are legalizing drugs, why not steroids? Cortisone is a steroid, isn't it? We make the athletes play on surfaces like the Metrodome and we don't let them take drugs that promote healing. I have a better idea let's ban artificial surfaces!

JoeBanzai
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set