Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Advice Needed . . . Rookie Gretzky Knockoff? Fake?

Probably too good to be true, eh?!

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    I always thought that the OPC version had a white dot on Gretzky's right shoulder.

Stingray
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I always thought that the OPC version had a white dot on Gretzky's right shoulder.

Stingray >>

Sting
    I think it's a yellow dot. And I have heard they make counterfeits with the dot.

Here - check out this one:

The "Dot" is pretty obvious! image

Also, with a loop many of the design elements on the front of the fake are composed of tiny dots, rather than the solid lines and colors of the genuine - also the ice in the photo can be seen as clean and white in the genuine but in the fake there are thousands of tiny blue dots visible.

Here's a link with some additional info.

This should help a bit.
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Considering the prevalence of counterfeit 79-80 Gretzky RC's and 86-87 Jordan RC's, buying those cards raw is essentially a sucker bet. The auctions generally end way too high to justify risking purchasing a reprint.

Andrew
  • Options
    Sold one '79 Gretzky for roughly $100 without knowing (seriously) that fakes were an issue. Oooops.

Are fees for knockoffs refunded by PSA?
  • Options
    Nope, no refund for questionable authenticity.

Andrew
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    This is what I am talking about, the speck on just below his shoulder.

Stingray
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    That's an awfully clean cut for an OPC too. Plus, there is no "dot" on his shoulder.

Take a look at the enlarged photo. You'll notice a few things about this one that are different from the scan you are posting.

Gretzky PSA 6

First, there is a dot on his left shoulder (your right) You should also notice how clean the edges are (almost sheet cut clean, even Topps are tough to find that nice). His name in your scan is just a bit blurry whereas in the psa graded example it's very sharp and "white". You'll also notice on teh psa graded example the word "OILERS" is a bit more bold and looks to be a slightly different font. It's impossible to tell over the pc via a scan if the lines are print dots or not, but I would bet that they are. Lastly, notice how bright the back of the psa graded card is, vs this one.

I would bet that this one is of "Questionable Authenticity"

-Josh
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fake Gretzky cards were printed in mass quantites. I was offered a brick of 50 for $150 at the Gibralter show. Any raw clean OPC Gretzky on ebay probably has a 90% chance at being fake.
    Mike
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    That card appears unauthentic to me also, as it does lack the yellow print splotch, as well, you can see the lettering for "Wayne Gretzky * C" on the front appear slightly blurred, if you look at them under heavy magnification, you should see tiny blue dots creeping into the letters along their edges. The letters are very crisp on an authentic card, as there will not be any blue dots making up the blue border, it is solid ink.
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    yop, fake.
  • Options
    Stone:

My wife, who mildly dislikes my hobby/OCD/addiction, got a big kick out of your "little yellow dot."
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Stone:

My wife, who mildly dislikes my hobby/OCD/addiction, got a big kick out of your "little yellow dot." >>

Tell her thanx
    I think it was a little too subtle today!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    That card is 100% fake. There are lots of similarly beautiful Gretzky reprints availbale with the yellow shoulder dot, etc. Do not buy a raw Gretzky rookie unless you are absolutely certain of its authenticity.

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    onebamafanonebamafan Posts: 1,318 ✭✭
    Go graded.......................................