Home Sports Talk
Options

Owens leaves camp is in atlanta!

eagles are in trouble of even making playoffs. this guy is nothing but a pain in the a$$! eagles would be smart to set him free.

Comments

• Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    I say hold on to him and let him rot.

Suspend him for conduct detrimental to the team. From what I hear they can based on the wording of his
    current contract. My guess is in the end he will try to flee with any means possible. I could see him filing a
    b.s. grieivance or something. I think the Eagles should not unload him so a team like Atlanta could get him.
    Word is no one is interest due to injuries, age, and cruddy attitude. We'll see...

The Birds do have issues and distractions right now. It will be interesting how they manage to keep it
    together in still a division where on paper they are better than the opposition. I hope they can get something
    done with Westbrook. They need to pay him and then sign Michael Lewis to an extension this year. I would
    let the fat slob Simon go after this year or keep using the franchise tag on him if you can each year.

Time for a logo change soon....

aconte

• Options
    UPDATE - it appears TO returned, however briefly to reclaim his pacifier and Blues Clues naptime blankie.

Sources say, regarding his earlier outrage, he was upset as no one volunteered to burp him after his afternoon glass of moo-juice!

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    ahhh, here come the cowboy kakaroaches ...

agreed with aconte - LET HIM ROT

btw - he was just interviewed at his home in Jersey, and it looked like he was going to start crying.

collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    eagles are in trouble of even making playoffs

The Eagles are the best team in the NFC. No one team in the NFC has done what they done in the past 4 years. There will be some good teams this year no doubt.

Dallas will not be one of them.

Either will tampa bay ....
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Dallas will not be one of them.

Funny guys on nfl live are saying cowboys have great shot at division. wouldnt be shocked if they won it and went deep into playoffs. eagles are gonna svck this year.

yes he is in jersey first report said he was heading home to atlanta.
  • Options
    Lookin more and more like you guys should've kept Freddie Mitchell image
  • Options
    No matter what a pain he is, someone ALWAYS will be willing to sign or trade for someone like TO.

Its always interesting when players like this cry about wanting more money and complaining about long-term contracts. Did he return the money for the games he did not play when injured last year?
  • Options
    dallas fans - lets make a wager ... you name it

TO will be back next week - I don't think the Eagles will trade him. Trades in the NFL are not like baseball, so they won't get anything for him.

Reid has brass ones, the Eagles are fine with or without TO - but he will be with them. If not, let him rot ...
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    The Eagles arn't even a .500 team without TO. I smell payback for the NFC East. You hear me Tuna??? Man, I think even the
    Giants have a shot in that pathetic division

JS
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990
    <<Man, I think even the Giants have a shot in that pathetic division>>

Thank you, oh mighty JS guru, thank you. You made my night!!!! Do you plan on spending any time in the woodshed this fall or winter?
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>
    No one team in the NFC has done what they done in the past 4 years. >>

You mean choke away 3 out of 4 NFC championship games (2 on their home turf), and then have your QB choke away your super bowl hopes?

You're right, no NFC team has done that. At least the Bills made it to the big dance 4 years in a row.

Philly wins 10 games without him, 12-13 with him. They'll still choke in the playoffs though.

And spammy, liking the Giants, I figured you would know all about the woodshed, after the beating the 'future' Manning promised you guys.
  • Options
    You are right Reid does have brass ones. I'm glad they are standing up to him and not giving in. How much money do these guys need?
    Go Cowboys!!!!!!!!!! image
  • Options
    If he goes To atlanta he will complain more than he ever has. He thought Jeff Garcia was bad. Meet Michael Vick. Yes vick has a cannon but no accuracy to go along with it. Maybe T.O can make him look better. We all know if he does, T.O will ask for a new contract as he will deserve it for making vick so good.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,909 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pasted from the Eagles website - written by the Eagles commentater who runs the website

Eagles Mantra: T-E-A-M Is What Matters Here

August 10, 2005

Aug. 10 -- To understand what truly happened to trigger the Eagles' decision to send wide receiver Terrell Owens home for one week is to have been in the room.

I was not there. I will not speculate on what the "undisclosed team issues" were and are that make the next step in this ongoing saga so much of a crossroads in the union of the Eagles and Owens.

What I want to know and what everyone wants to know is: What happens next?

Well, from an Eagles standpoint, I can tell you that the team will practice on Thursday looking to take another step toward winning the Super Bowl in February.

From an Owens standpoint? Everyone here wants Owens to come back to the team next Wednesday in a better place and part of the program. That's the decision he has to make: Does he want to be part of the team?

Look, the Eagles are going to stand firm in their conviction on how to run an organization: You come to work every day, you work in partnership with the person next to you and you try to do it right. You try to positively affect everything you touch every day.

It's the mantra, the essential fabric of being a member of the organization: Player, coach, administrator, Regular Joe like me. The standards are high here.

So what T.O. has done -- whether it was a one-moment incident or a culmination of events -- is completely unacceptable for the players, for the coaches, for the Eagles and for the fans. If you are part of this -- the goal is winning the Super Bowl and making the Eagles the best organization it can be: Are you on board? -- then you are part of it completely.

And that's the decision Owens has to make. Does he want to be an Eagle? Because, and I'll say this again and again and again and again, the Eagles are not going to trade Owens. They are not going to release Owens. They are not going to give in to his interest for a new contract.

Owens either plays for the Eagles this season -- for and with the Eagles' plan -- or he does not play football. He wins in this whole thing by being part of what the Eagles are doing, and by no other way.

What the Eagles have done is take something away from Owens that is very near and dear. He won't play football for a week. He'll have time to think about what he wants to become of the next six months of his life.

Play football for the Eagles and win a lot of games and hopefully the Super Bowl with teammates who make the locker room a terrific place to be and for a head coach who treats his players right and in a city and for a fan base that is second to none in passion and love for its team.

Or don't play football.

I can't predict what he'll do next. Owens is his own person. Hopefully, he comes to grips with the situation. It can't be any more clear.

Now, Owens has the option of not taking up with the team. He has the option of picking Plan B and not playing football this season. The Eagles have to prepare for that possibility and I'm sure in the big-picture vision of Jeffrey Lurie, Joe Banner, Andy Reid and Tom Heckert the Eagles have considered it many, many times.

So what would the Eagles do if Owens decides he does not want to play in 2005? They move on. They don't use his absence as an excuse for, indeed, there is no excuse to be made. Make no mistake, the Eagles are going to win the Super Bowl or bust. Winning the Super Bowl is the only goal.

This franchise has had too much success in the last four seasons to let one man change the goals or cloud the philosophy. Be the best. Let nothing stand in the way of the quest.

We will get a look at the offense in Monday night's game at Pittsburgh. Just a little taste. Reggie Brown is likely to start with Greg Lewis. Billy McMullen will probably be the third receiver. Let's see how it goes.

One thing the Eagles will not do is panic. They will not jump to conclusions here. Owens has a week to get his thoughts together and then, if he chooses, walk through the door to a new start.

Will he? I don't know. Certainly, this latest turn is a disappointment and, again, the entire Owens saga is just, well, I've run out of words. How did this happen? How does it go from being virtually "perfect," a word that Owens used to describe 2004, to this?

It is his decision. The Eagles have made their call. This is a team. Everybody is part of the machine, or else they aren't here.

Is Owens going to be on board? Boy, I hope there is some intervention in the next week. I hope there is a coming to senses on his part. It would be a shame to see such a talent go to waste.

But if he's not here? I will look forward to the next move by the Eagles. This is a great team -- I've watched so many good things since May that I'm naturally very, very optimistic about things ahead -- whether Owens is here or not.

• Options
    Axtell, get a life

If he goes To atlanta he will complain more than he ever has. He thought Jeff Garcia was bad. Meet Michael Vick. Yes vick has a cannon but no accuracy to go along with it. Maybe T.O can make him look better. We all know if he does, T.O will ask for a new contract as he will deserve it for making vick so good.

first, as stevek posted, the Eagles are not going to release him or trade him. Mora already said the Falcons don't want him, not too many teams will now.

Does any team want this?

I wonder if Rosenhaus thinks that TO dropped the ball last night? Getting sent home (with the proverbial tail between his legs) destroyed any remote possibility of the Eagles restructuring the deal. Getting sent home ruined any chance of TO making more money with another team had the Eagles released - which will not happen. Getting sent home and starting the whole saga to begin with guaranteed another year without major sponsorship, which in my opinion, was bound to happen. TO had put everything in place last season to earn millions more through advertising. Rosenhaus should have seen that.

Maybe he will next time ...
  • Options
    Get a life? I have one, thank you.

Look, if you can't handle the facts, then why are you here? Is it true or not, that the Eagles have lost 3 of the last 4 NFC championship games?

Is it true or not, that the Eagles have a good number of key players who are hurt or holding out of this year's camp?

Why is it so hard to believe that the Eagles may not have the cakewalk they've had the past couple of years? You think they get to show up and just automatically win 12 games?
  • Options
    <<< Why is it so hard to believe that the Eagles may not have the cakewalk they've had the past couple of years? You think they get to show up and just automatically win 12 games? >>>

Axtell - you're just not getting it. The Eagles defense is absolutely rock solid with no problems whatsoever. The Corey Simon thing is a little glitch but their D-line is still awesome. The secondary is awesome. The linebackers are excellent. The Eagles O-line is awesome. McNabb is McNabb. Westbrook is a scoring machine. Yes...some problems at wide receiver and I'm not going to downplay that - but with a solid O-line, even average receivers can be plugged in and be successful.

No question the Eagles will pickup a veteran receiver who has a year or so of gas left in the tank - even if TO comes back to camp.
    TO cannot be trusted at this point, even if he plays in the first game - he could still go off on one of his childish temper tantrums anytime during the season. The Eagles will get to the Super Bowl with or without TO. Whether the Eagles win the Super Bowl or not, will depend on which AFC team gets there.
  • Options
    It's pretty arrogant to say the Eagles are going to go back to the super bowl without a struggle.

What veteran receiver are they going to go out and sign? You think those receivers are just sitting around waiting for a team to play with? And if so, is that player even worth signing?

I have no doubt Philly is a good team with or without TO. But to sit there and just assume that they eagles will make it back to the super bowl, in the state they are in now, is a lot like the mentality yankee fans have.

• Options
    <<< What veteran receiver are they going to go out and sign? You think those receivers are just sitting around waiting for a team to play with? And if so, is that player even worth signing? >>>

That's an excellent point. I've been doing just a little analysis of this but very tough to figure at this time. It'll probably be some team who has some young receivers that look good in preseason and then the old story of releasing an older player to free up some cap space. Fortunately the Eagles with their superb salary cap management skills, always seem to have cap space open to sign who they need. And they definitely will sign a veteran wide receiver.

<<< It's pretty arrogant to say the Eagles are going to go back to the super bowl without a struggle. >>>

Oh it feels GREAT to be arrogant - I love it! It feels so much better to be arrogant than to feel like a whimpering Bucs fan just clinging to some almost impossible hope of even just a winning season, let alone any chance for a playoff spot. Eagles will easily win the NFC East again, have home field advantage for the playoffs again, and steamroll into the SUPER BOWL again. I'm lovin' it!

Go Eagles!!!!!
  • Options
    I'm sick to death of hearing about it as well. If it weren't for the fact that he can run real fast and catch a ball, he'd probably be homeless with an attitude like that.

Even without him, the Eagles win that division; they're the best team. But it might be enough to tip the scales, and them not have home-field throughout the playoffs, a near-essential requirement of being super-bowl bound.
  • Options

<< <i><<< Why is it so hard to believe that the Eagles may not have the cakewalk they've had the past couple of years? You think they get to show up and just automatically win 12 games? >>>

Axtell - you're just not getting it. The Eagles defense is absolutely rock solid with no problems whatsoever. The Corey Simon thing is a little glitch but their D-line is still awesome. The secondary is awesome. The linebackers are excellent. The Eagles O-line is awesome. McNabb is McNabb. Westbrook is a scoring machine. Yes...some problems at wide receiver and I'm not going to downplay that - but with a solid O-line, even average receivers can be plugged in and be successful.

No question the Eagles will pickup a veteran receiver who has a year or so of gas left in the tank - even if TO comes back to camp.
    TO cannot be trusted at this point, even if he plays in the first game - he could still go off on one of his childish temper tantrums anytime during the season. The Eagles will get to the Super Bowl with or without TO. Whether the Eagles win the Super Bowl or not, will depend on which AFC team gets there. >>

Im sorry to say but a lot of teams upgraded a ton this offseason. #1 The vikings, have you seen their defense? Its incredible. #2 Vick is getting better. #3 Yes i think the Redskins will contend this year, i might be smoking some good stuff but i believe portis is going to be back to old form.
    Ravens= Superbowl Bound
  • Options
    T.O. may feel he's got the Eagles by the short ones......but the Birds can still go to a double tight-end, then burn the midnight oil studying the late waiver wire for the final NFL training camp cuts.

Anyone associated with the NFL.....players, coaches and upper managemant would not want to have T.O. as a teammate; would not want to coach him; and certainly wouldn't want to be cutting any paychecks to his sorry-ass butt.....he just doesn't get it.
  • Options
    <<< he just doesn't get it. >>>

Well there are teams who would sign TO, but I do absolutely believe at this point that there would definitely not be any team that would give him more money, or even equal money, than the Eagles are paying him. He has cut his own throat, especially after dissing the coaches - that was a huge mistake...HUGE! And as far as endorsements...any company hiring him to endorse their product would have to be a glutten for punishment - Can you imagine TO as say a spokesman for McDonalds?...and then in a random interview he would probably say something like, "I don't really eat that junk food." - LOL

I agree with you Brian - I'm sick of this myself - Owens should just show up on Wednesday and just play some f***in' football!
  • Options
    Im sorry to say but a lot of teams upgraded a ton this offseason. #1 The vikings, have you seen their defense? Its incredible. #2 Vick is getting better. #3 Yes i think the Redskins will contend this year, i might be smoking some good stuff but i believe portis is going to be back to old form.

agreed ... except for two things

Vick is not there yet (may never be)
    the skins? c'mon now .... Portis is a great back, but they have NOTHING else

The Lions could be the team to beat in the NFC.

Rumor has it that the Browns will trade Andre Davis to the Eagles by next week ... and there is a new rumor involving Rosenhaus.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Ravens20,

I also agree the Vikes got way better especially on defense. They could be the team to beat!

Vick is overated though.

The Redskins are not much of a threat to the Eagles.

aconte