Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is there any market for numismatic themed telephone cards?

291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
Long ago, back in the 1990's, there was an attempt to promote telephone cards as collectibles. Some of these telephone cards had numismatic subject matter. The ones I have include:
ANA Detroit '94 $.40 & $3.00
Memphis Coin Club/IPMS '96 $10
Greater Chicago Coin Expo July '96 No Stated Value
ANA Cleveland Mar. '97 $5.00
Long Beach Coin & Collectible Expo Feb. '97 10 Units
Long Beach Coin & Collectible Expo June '97 $5.00
Mid-America Coin Convention, Milwaukee June '97 $5.00
Michigan State Numismatic Society Nov. '97 $5.00
I've heard virtually nothing about these cards in recent years.
Is there any current interest in numismatic themed telephone cards? I know that many of those I have only had 500 made.
All glory is fleeting.

Comments

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're pessimistic on the outlook for high quality rare coins at current prices, but have an interest in numismatic themed telephone cards? image

I'm sorry but I do not forsee any significant interest and/or market for this type of item. Coins I like though image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You're pessimistic on the outlook for high quality rare coins at current prices, but have an interest in numismatic themed telephone cards? image

I'm sorry but I do not forsee any significant interest and/or market for this type of item. Coins I like though image >>

No, I don't have a current interest in the telephone cards. I just found them in a seldom viewed album and am just curious as to whether anyone collects them today. I am well aware that the attempt to promote telephone cards as collectibles here in the US was a big failure. I heard tales that at least one coin dealer failed because he speculated on the telephone card market and lost big.

I still like nice coins...but my definition of nice is very strict these days.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    I'd rather spend my money on numismatic underwear at this point. (Seriously, I think it would be cool. Im not joking)
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Probably not a good "investment", but if you enjoy collecting them, that is fine.

When I was a kid, I used to collect beer bottle caps from a particular beer that my father used to drink. I think it was Ballentine? The caps had these little brain teasers printed in them, and I had an entire box of them.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Numismatic underwear: as long as it's not a thong, I'm there, baby.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

• << <i>Numismatic underwear: as long as it's not a thong, I'm there, baby. >>

Come on "guys" why not the "thong" ????image
    Terri
    Still Learning.
  • I believe that the beer caps that had the brain teaser was "Heffenreffer" (spelling?)
    It has a picture puzzle that you have to figure out what it says
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Grey--

are you implying that my daddy drank Heffs? Those are fighting words. image

Thanks for your comment, but it definitely wasn't Heff. I really think it was Ballentine or Schlitz.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • HalfsenseHalfsense Posts: 600 ✭✭✭
    As with almost any collectible, there probably is a buyer for numismatic-themed phone cards. But the market is probably thinner than Calista Flockhart or Lara Flynn Boyle.

-donn-
    "If it happens in numismatics, it's news to me....
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Numismatic underwear: as long as it's not a thong, I'm there, baby. >>

Come on "guys" why not the "thong" ????image
    Terri >>

Um, just go to a coin show to find out why. image
  • no.
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not here.

But put them up on Ebay - they have created a marketplace for everything.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not here.

But put them up on Ebay - they have created a marketplace for everything. >>

Perhaps not these. This appears to be a market that can truly be described as "dead."
    All glory is fleeting.

• << <i>Um, just go to a coin show to find out why. image >>

Oh, come on!

There's tons of hotties at coin shows!
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a few collectors for telephone cards though I'm aware of no specific
    interest for cards with numismatic themes. This market has been very quiet recently
    though.
    Tempus fugit.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    I wish I had a hard plastic type phone card with a Numismatic theme. The one I've had for about 6 years has a Duck Stamp on it.

I mean, really.

Tom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file