Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Ebay scam

Just a note of warning.

Yesterday I receivied an email from "Ebay Security". Looked very official telling me I had to reconfirm my account. The email stated this was a normal practice to reconfirm accounts randomly for everyone's safety. Hey, even had all the Ebay symbols and trademarks.

I hit the line to go into it and had to log in to my Ebay account. Seems normal. Just like I do every day. Next screen asked me to reconfirm my credit card information. RED FLAG went up so I closed the email and sent it to "spoof@Ebay.com. Sure enough, Ebay had no knowledge of the email. I immediately changed my password in Ebay.

Comments

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    If the email does not have your full name in the greeting then it is not from ebay......................
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    JonBJonB Posts: 495
    Also, never click a link from an email. If ebay really does want you to do something like that simply type in www.ebay.com and go to their site that way. Go into "My eBay" and you will probably find a message in there with the same request.
  • Options
    The email I received was addredded "Dear Ebay Member". Good hint!
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
    Dear Ebay member: We are very concerned about security here at Ebay, so we need you to give us access to your credit card for a little while. Your bank account is fine, too, if there is any money in it. Please click on the link below and follow the instructions when you arrive at the URL. No need to look at the URL itself, there is an official eBay logo on the page, which means it must be legitimate.

P.S. You can ignore all those previous warnings that you should never respond to e-mails that begin "Dear Ebay member." We have changed our policy to state that you should ALWAYS respond to such e-mails, and have no fear about giving up your financial information. Ebay would never allow anyone to empty your bank account or max out your credit card with fraudulent purchases. That would be illegal.

P.P.S We would appreciate it if you could pay off as much of your CC balance as possible, so there is plenty of available credit, before clicking on the link below and providing your information. Have a nice day!
  • Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    yeah long long ago, maybe 18 months or more, maybe 2 years, I was new to ebay and was stupid. The link worked and I gave them my cc #. Then I had some charges on my card and the company called. I closed that acct # and started a new one. I think it might work on people like me, who are new, and aren't reading the emails that closely. However, now Ebay has the messages function in my ebay, that wasn't there before.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    ArnyVeeArnyVee Posts: 4,246
    I get these e-mails almost on a daily basis. The easiest way to see that they are trying to scam or 'phish' for information is that you hold your mouse over the actual link and see what URL address it's going to take you to. Look at the URL and if it's nothing that starts with www.ebay.com/example text, then you know it's probably fake.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards