Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

dealing with 707

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has had any success trying to talk down prices with Levi at 707. If so, what about % did you get them to go down.
Thanks,
Jason

Comments

• Options
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Levi never met a high price he didn't like. Nice cards though if money is no object.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    I think it probably depends on what you are buying. They were flexible and very fair when I dealt with them on a deal worth about $1000. Considering the convenience and having a no worries transaction they can easily be worth the price.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Levi never met a high price he didn't like. >>

Indeed! He does have a lot of inventory, but you'll pay handsomely if you want any of it. I have tried to deal with him at the last few Fort shows, but ended up spending my money elsewhere for the same cards.
  • Options
    At the national a couple weeks ago, I bought at 1952 topps mathews #407 from him. He was asking $2750. I offered him $2350 cash. Without even looking at me he said nope, no way. I asked what the best he could do is and he said $2650. I offered $2500 cash. Nope. He said the best he could do with that card is $100 bucks off. It was Thursday of the show and he was positive he would sell it by Sunday for $2650 so there was no reason to come down. So I paid it.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought a raw 1962 A.L. H.R. Leaders card from him several years ago at national. He wanted quite a bit over book and wouldn't budge on the price. I asked him about the price guide's value, and he nicely told me he knew what the card was worth. It was a sweet card with fantastic corners and near perfect centering. I bought it, and it turns out that it was a good buy in the long run.

In general he doesn't come down much in his prices. I think he is a fair and honest dealer....just doesn't have the cheapest cards. If the card isn't "scarce" you will probably find it cheaper elsewhere.

I have several other "scarce" cards in my collection that I bought from Levi, and have not found better examples in the last five years on eBay.

JoeBanzai
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    kobykoby Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    Rude and expensive. image
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

Levi is OK with me.. ive bought from him before.. short & to the point in his emails, but not neccesarily rude.. i got what i believe is a fair deal..

·p_A·
  • Options
    I bought some cards from Levi at the National, he will come off a LITTLE bit but once he quotes his best price that is it....dont even waste time trying for more. As a Goudey collector he has more selection of various graded PSA cards than anyone, this is worth a little more in my eyes, I also think Levi is a cool guy. I will agree his prices can be beat if the card is plentiful, but you will not find more PSA graded examples of highend cards anywhere else. Example....While I was buying some Goudey's at the show a guy walks up and wants to buy a 1956 PSA graded Mantle...Levi pulls out 10 Graded mantles for the guy to look at in various grades for that year and the guy finds one he likes and buys it. Sometimes Levi's selection can't be beat.....

I have never tried to sell anything to him, what are others experiences? Does he offer more since he sells for more?
  • Options
    Thanks guys for all the input,
    The card I'm looking at getting is in the 200 range. Not an overly rare card. I'll have to email him for his best price and either take it or leave it.
    Jason
  • Options
    buy LOW....sell HIGH...image
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Levi and Donna and Jim are some of the nicest people you'll deal with in this hobby. They'll always take the time to chat and help you, whether there is a buck in it for them or not. His prices may not be the lowest you'll see, but if they were he wouldn't have any inventory. He knows the hobby well, and definitely rewards buyer loyalty.
    He's also very fair when buying and doesn't try and play back and forth games. He seems to treat you the same whether you're the buyer or seller- the seller gives the price, and the buyer either takes it or not, with no hard feelings either way. He pays well when he buys, and at the National last week I didn't find his prices to be the highest- I could name at least 6 or 8 dealers that were a lot higher.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I too have bought from levi. yes his prices are on the high side. Unlike many he does take cards back if you do not like them. I would buy from them anytime.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Hellz yea, Levi's prices are horrible.

He must think his cards don't stink, but somebody MUST be buying those overpriced things, b/c he still is in business right?

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    It's probably been about 15 years, but I dealt with him at a show in Chicago. I had a 1969 Ryan that was VG/EX at best. I didn't even think he'd look at it. He did, and apologetically (because of the condition) offered me about twice what I thought I could get for it. I was so excited I bought my dad a 1952 Topps Mays (maybe PSA 2 quality at best) from him, and I thought it was very fairly priced. Again, this was LONG before the graded card wave, but my experience was very positive.
  • Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Levi is great to do business with. He provides good service and is really knowledgeable about what he sells. I have bought mostly collector grade cards from him and they have usually been high end for the grade.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    As I am becoming a little less patient with eBay, I am turning more towards dealer's inventories. I am getting to the point where I want to buy some cards and would rather chose from a selection. After looking through about 12-15 sites, I just saw Levi's inventory and was amazed at this selection. Haven't really studied the prices yet but I suspect the would be at SMR or above - just like everyone else with much smaller selections.
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Wow. I see what you guys mean now. I don't understand some of the prices. The 63 Mays PSA 8 is priced at SMR PSA 9. Even a less expensive example: I just picked up from another dealer online, a 63 Zimmer PSA 8 for $17. Levi has it for $100. A lot of cards 50-150% over SMR. Great selection though - esp. if you wanting to get those last few cards for the set.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    If Levi priced at SMR he'd have no selection.

Ebay is great for the first 80-90% of a set, but when it comes down to the last few tough ones then it's time to turn to the dealer sites. I also find it pretty useful as a gauge of the top end of the price scale when I first start out on a set. I've often seen cards get into a bidding war on ebay and ending considerably higher than they can be found on various dealers sites. Earlier this year a bidding war was going on in one set I collect and I sold a bunch of 7's to one of the participants for the exact price it cost me to replace them with better 8's from a dealers site. Had a few of these guys taken the time to do a bit of research before throwing money into the ring that wouldn't have happened.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    I agree with all of the above, and as a result have never bought from him and probably will never unless neccessary.Doubtful.
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Bought a 1971 Topps Rod Carew "nm/mt" or "mint" card from him based upon his SCD ad & it wasn't in the condition he stated. He fully refunded my money with no questions asked over the phone.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    Personally, i have found the best way to deal with him is via TRADE. He generally tends to allow full book value on trades; so cards where i've managed to get a good deal in the past, make a less painful way to pay his high prices. He also absolutely KNOW THE MARKET! Case in point: a while back he had a Topps Venezuelan card i wanted, but was only graded a PSA '1', and yet he had a price of $100. on it, even though it only "booked" for $30. in VG in the SCD! His logic was "Yes, but it's still the ONLY card graded of this issue, and therefore it's still the highest graded!". There had been other inquiries for the same card, and when i talked to him on the phone about it, he said "There's been three of you guys calling about this card, and TWO of you are going to be very disappointed when it sells!". I thought he was just using typical seller's BS, but that's when i traded a card to him that "booked" for the same $100. he was selling the card for. I have to say that i have NO regrets on this trade--i have not seen another issue of this card before or SINCE!! Sometimes you just have to ignore "the book value".
  • Options
    Top Dollar from Levi, but there's only one Gibson 8 and three Ryan's, so I paid the piper.

Besides, he's a nice guy.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    67standup,

What did you pay for Gibson and Ryan?
  • Options

...$198 for the Ryan, $79 for Gibson, and $118 for a 1971 OPC Banks PSA 7

There's a crazy Ebay run on '71 OPCs of late, but I haven't seen too many high number super stars.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    Not a bad multiple on the Gibson, but 3XSMR on the Ryan. I noticed the '71 OPC, looks like someone is making a run at the number one spot on the registry.
  • Options
    There is no SMR for OPC, only the notation that these Canadian cards are scarcer than their Topps counterpart. There are certain OPC cards in which I'd gladly pay 5x the SMR for Topps. Paid close to $175 for a 1970 OPC #1 PSA 8...oops. image
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Personally, i have found the best way to deal with him is via TRADE. He generally tends to allow full book value on trades; so cards where i've managed to get a good deal in the past, make a less painful way to pay his high prices. He also absolutely KNOW THE MARKET! Case in point: a while back he had a Topps Venezuelan card i wanted, but was only graded a PSA '1', and yet he had a price of $100. on it, even though it only "booked" for $30. in VG in the SCD! His logic was "Yes, but it's still the ONLY card graded of this issue, and therefore it's still the highest graded!". There had been other inquiries for the same card, and when i talked to him on the phone about it, he said "There's been three of you guys calling about this card, and TWO of you are going to be very disappointed when it sells!". I thought he was just using typical seller's BS, but that's when i traded a card to him that "booked" for the same $100. he was selling the card for. I have to say that i have NO regrets on this trade--i have not seen another issue of this card before or SINCE!! Sometimes you just have to ignore "the book value". >>

I'd echo this sentiment. They had a stack of 120 cards I needed for $1100 and traded very fairly to me.