Home Stamps Forum
Options

Are stamp catalog values as worthless as coin price guide values?

It seems I'm always seeing on stamps, Scott value: $XX, our price $YY, where YY is a good deal less than XX. So, I'm guessing yes.

How exactly do they come up with these catalog values, and how does one find out what something is "really" worth?

Comments

• Options
    I find that most often the price of the stamp is in line with the condition of the stamp. Catalogue values are normally based on a VF condition of the stamp. Quite often when you see stamps offered lower than catalogue value it because they are off center, have small creases, highly disturbed gum on mint stamps, straight edge, and just flaws in general. On used stamps there could be a very heavy cancel, the front of the stamp could have heavy rubbing that distracts from the appearance. I suggest you go to the PSE home page and look at their grading standards and then look at their Stamp Market Quarterly (SMQ) prices for each grade. You will also find out why some stamps are being offered at a much higher price than catalogue.

I had a US 85C that I sold on ebay. I used PSE's grading standards and figured the stamp was worth $800 in the condition it was in and not worth the $3500 Scott catalogue value. I started the bid at $700 and ended up getting $750. The price I got was fair for the condition of the stamp.

If you see a stamp for sell and you are thinking about buying it because it is offered way below catalogue, ask youself what is wrong with it. If you have the chance, examine it very close and make sure it is one you want in your collection.
  • Options
    DJCDJC Posts: 787
    Basically, catalog value applies to only the top few percent of stamps. True very fine centered, no problems stamps are actually not very common. Nice fresh color, smooth nicely seperated even perforations, and almost perfectly balanced centering (just off slightly to one side) constitutes a true VF stamp, and, at least for classic (pre 34) US material, you will usually pay close to 'full Scott catalog' for it.

In my experience, 70%+ of the stamps being sold are only fine, or at best fine-very fine. Still nice stamps, but easily picked up from anywhere between 40-70% of catalog.

As for determining value, I believe it's the same as with coins. Auction results, fixed price buy lists, dealer input, etc. To find a real idea of value, especially for classic US, I usually cruise Century, Gary Posner, Steve Malack, Armstrong Philatelics or several other websites that specialize in better grade classic US.

Worldwide (foreign) material is a whole 'nother story. I don't collect foreign very seriously (just accumulate 'neat' stuff), so I'm not really familiar with how the foreign market works.

Hope I helped.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Here in the Netherlands, the catalog value is everything. Let's say I'm on a show, and I want a specific series in MNH from the 20's. Here's the conversation:

Me- Do you have any NVPH nr. blah blah in MNH
    Dealer- Yeah sure, they are in that book
    (I look at the stamps and see that they are good centered and perfect to me)
    Me-How much do you want
    Dealer- Let's look it up in the catalogue
    Me- Ok (I already looked up the catalog value before)
    Dealer- Catalogue value is €225. I ask for this material (which is very scarce) 60% of the catalogue value, which makes it €125.
    Me- Let's make that €110 (imageimage)
    Delar- I will do it for €115
    Me- Okay

This happens to me all the time. MNH is MNH, tough at some dealers you pay a very slight premium for very good condition pieces.....

Dennis