Home Sports Talk
Options

Gibbs apologizes for calling Dallas fans ugly

stevekstevek Posts: 27,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
Gibbs apologizes for calling Dallas fans ugly

August 6, 2005
BALTIMORE (AP) -- Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs apologized Saturday for calling Dallas Cowboys fans ``the ugliest people in the world.''

While answering questions from the crowd at the team's Fan Appreciation Day at training camp on Friday, Gibbs said: ``I know we don't have any Dallas people here -- they are the ugliest people in the world.''

Gibbs later stressed that he was joking, but he felt the need to address the matter again after Saturday's scrimmage against the Baltimore Ravens.

``I tried to make a joke,'' Gibbs said. ``I was joking. It didn't come out probably like a joke or like it should've. I hope all my buddies in Dallas -- because I've got a lot of buddies down there -- took it the right way. I hope they thought it was a joke.

``But if they didn't think it was a joke, or if anybody took it the wrong way other than a joke, when you make a mistake like that, you've got to apologize. So I apologize to anybody that might have taken it the other way.''

Updated on Saturday, Aug 6, 2005 3:32 p

Comments

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Gibbs is overrated. You gotta love the Redskins, bring in two of the most overrated coaches in the world. Way to go
    Joe!

JS
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I agree with Gibbs comment about Cowboy's fans image
    for him to make a comment such as this clearly shows a coach who is a little out of control. Gibbs was of course once a great coach but is no question now over-the-hill. Frankly, I'm glad he's there, because as long as he is there, then there is no need to worry about the Redskins going anywhere. Hiring Gibbs is just another in the long list of Dan Snyder blunders.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>Gibbs is overrated. You gotta love the Redskins, bring in two of the most overrated coaches in the world. Way to go
    Joe!

JS >>

Overrated? Joe, your ignorance of all things football outside Tampa astounds me. Gibbs is widely regarded as the one of the game's all time greats. His coming back was a mistake I agree, but to say he's overrated? Do you always do drugs before posting?
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I was just in Dallas on Wed and I can vouch for Gibbs.

ALL COWBOYS FANS ARE UGLY! image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    I think you guys got it wrong. I believe it was an apology to ugly people calling them Dallas fans. Quite offensive image
  • Options
    yeah that great when you have Theismann and Riggins but put Ramsey and company or Henson and we find out what these guys are
    really about. Tuna hasn't done squat and Gibbs couldn't do squat. Over-rated!!

JS
  • Options
    Jeez Joe it's always something with you isn't it?

Is Bill Walsh overrated? What about Bill Bellicheck?

Your view of football is so blinded that I have trouble believing you can ever appreciate greatness unless it's in a Buc uniform. And that's just sad.

• Options
    whats bill walsh gotta do with Gibbs getting a fat contract and then taking his team to last place? Funny if I was going to make a comment
    about something non-football related, I would at least wait until I was 12-4!

LMK
    JS
  • Options

<< <i>whats bill walsh gotta do with Gibbs getting a fat contract and then taking his team to last place? Funny if I was going to make a comment

LMK
    JS >>

You said Gibbs and Tuna are overrated...so I want to know what coaches (in your incredibly narrow opinion) aren't overrated?

I don't think you have an appreciation for any football played anywhere outside Tampa. And that Joe, is sad.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>whats bill walsh gotta do with Gibbs getting a fat contract and then taking his team to last place? Funny if I was going to make a comment

LMK
    JS >>

Nothing. But it does have a lot to do with a coach inheriting a good team, riding the previous coach's coat tails to a Super Bowl win, then the fans proclaiming that he is destined for the HOF.

OOOOps! Two mediocre seasons followed when Coach X had to go it on his own? What is that you say.....injuries? STFU and quit your whining. What's that....ring, ring, ring? Then answer the phone and quit playing with that thing on your finger. You'll want to keep it in mint condition when you are out of a job and have to hock it.

Joe Gibbs is my hero of the week. image
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Man joe gibbs is an idiot! here are some ugly cowboys fans for ya!image YEAH RIGHT! DEADSKINS WILL BE IN LAST PLACE!
  • Options
    for anyone to get upset over that comment just proves how politically correct a country we have become. you would have to be an idiot to take that comment seriously.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I think you guys got it wrong. I believe it was an apology to ugly people calling them Dallas fans. Quite offensive

collecting various PSA and SGC cards