Home Stamps Forum
Options

APS Stamp Show 2005 in Grand Rapids, MI

Anyone planning on attending the APS show in Grand Rapids, Michigan this weekend?

Doug

Comments

• Options
    Did you go? Was it any good?
  • Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Yes, I decided to make the drive. They estimated around 150 dealers and it was in a large convention center so the isles had lots of room to move around. I went Saturday afternoon and it did not seem busy, but several dealers did say they had bought lots of stuff. I assume Friday and mornings were busier. It was a very well laid out and professional show. Sorry I did not take any pics of the bourse. There were also many exhibits to look at. Just about anything philatelic related you would want was there. All the "big boys" were there; Posner, Armstrong, Vance, Lindner, Subway, Gitner, PSE, and many others. There were also many areas for youngsters. Regency/Superior had a couple of auctions going on too. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately, I did not win any of my bids. Overall, I enjoyed it.

BTW, I have a copy of the Regency/Superior auction catalog for the first person who wants it. Its full color. Just reply back here.

Doug

Edited to add: Welcome edueku. I just noticed you are new.
  • Options
    Hey, glad you had a good time so it sounds. I use to go to a lot of the local shows(40-50 miles) and the big show here in Indiana (Indypex) and I went to the 2003 APS show. The thing is the local shows all arethe same dealers with mostly low quality stamps or really overpriced above average stamps. I found myself bombarded with junk by the dealers because of my age I guess(36). Everyone at these shows are 50++. I have discovered a couple of edu's at a postcard show though(which is one of my specialties). Anyway I have met a few cool people at the shows but find I can find the same quality stamps on ebay without traveling or having to hunch over a file box trying to dig my tongs into a stockcard of 50 stamps in attempt to find a decent copy. So have you picked up any great finds at any shows that you got for "a song". It's funny on the Michigan show I thought I would have to work the whole weekend and I ended up having my first weekend off in over a year.Then I didn't feel like driving. I have not been to a show for probably over a year but I think I will try to get to one before the end of this one. Oh,thinks for the welcome! I have been looking at the posts on this board for over a year and just finally decided to join. Do you collect graded stamps? What are some of your best, if you do collect?