Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

WOW Vintage Football at Target??

Thats right, its topps 50th anniversary and they have put vintage packs in each of their 19.99 booster boxes. Here is who
I pulled:

89 TT Wayne Martin
89 TT Mike Saxon
70 T Fred Cox
71 Mike Morgan
90 John Grimsley
81 Herman Weaver

yeah, so they aren't household names, but still a nice bonus...oh and the 2005 cards are really sharp!

Kevin

Comments

• Options
    Doesn't look like much of a bonus image Although I guess the 70 and 71 would be ok if they were NM/MT or better.
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    yeah they both look like 10's!!
  • Options
    Kevin -

What autos or GU did you get in the box? How many parallels?

I broke up 3 jumbo cases two weeks ago. Topps really promised a good haul for the 50th, but I'm a little disappointed considering how they stacked Heritage, Chrome 2, and other cases earlier this year.

All in all it is OK, but I expected more after they hyped it so much.

On the other hand I bought a booster box of Fan Favorites BB and pulled a Ron Gant auto (not numbered) that sold for $51 last night.
    Go figure.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>yeah they both look like 10's!! >>

really?.. if they get 9's or 10's, i'd say thats a helluva nice pull!..

·p_A·
  • Options
    pretty cool to get 70 and 71s out of modern wax. I'm guessing you have a chance at cards from all 50 years?
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

Whats the set called? Is it Topps 50th Anniversary? On the box?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭

<< <i>yeah they both look like 10's!! >>

No foolin'?
  • Options

I have a feeling that Target is going to run out of tese boxes tomorrow...
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    There's nothing in the Target out here but '04 Bowman Heritage boxes. Are they worth anything?
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty cool Kevin!

Are you planning to do the set or just pick some up to sample? I'm pretty much done for this year.

Have you decided to pick up any Topps T3?

I will probably pick up a few boosters of the FB to look at. Ya never know, I might pick up a nice PSA 10
    Montana!!! image

thanx for sharing - I'll check my target 2morrow
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    do the vintage packs have the 50th anniversary stamp on them also? or are they real vintage cards?
  • Options
    sorry to get your hopes up, the two 1970 cards are not going to be 10's, granted they aren't bad, but none the less, nothing you
    wouldn't expect in a box that cost 20 bucks

These are 2005 topps. They sell for 9.99 and 19.99..I have only bought one 19.99 box and the vintage pack was in the bottom
    wrapped in clear wrap. I was actually really surprised to pull those two old cards, I almost went back. Someone over on beckett
    ripped a 9.99 box and didn't mention the vintage pack. It looks like they just pulled two cards off a stack of 89 traded..the two
    cards I pulled were numbered together...118 and 119 I think

SoFl..That is what I heard too, sorry your rips sucked. I actually pulled a TO Super Tix card...its a card that has a real piece of
    super bowl ticket stub on it. These are sweet..pulled from 8 packs of 1.99 card...I guess the local pack searcher missed one!
    I didn't pull any other autos or GU or numbered parallels....the retail odds are just crazy!

I wonder if topps really did put in any good vintage cards..that would be nice to pull a namath or Montana rookie from target.

Well, we will all meet back here tomorrow and share our breaks!

Kevin
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    *and now for something completely different*
    When are the Topps Turkey Reds scheduled to come out?
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options

<< <i>When are the Topps Turkey Reds scheduled to come out? >>

8/29
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    How could you pull a namath? isn't that a 65? thus a tallboy? only way is as a redemption?

SD

Good for you.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Cards from the 80's are vintage?

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Steve

Yes I thought of that right after I hit the send button. I guess I would have to settle for a second year Namath.

Carew...I guess depending how old you are, yes cards from the 80's could be vintage! Then again if you were 100 years
    old you might think of cards from the 70's as modern.

JS
  • Options

Picked up a box at lunch. 3 commons from 89, an 85 common, an 81 common and a 80 team card. They are in the car and I don't remember the names, but it was noone to write home about.

The condition of the cards was surprisingly good also. Granted there were no cards from the 70's but the 85 looks like a strong chance at a 9. Base set is pretty plain.

I will probably take one more shot and see if I can get some 70's cards. More for curiosity of condition above all else.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    I love the new Topps. I bought a booster the other day from Target. My vintage cards weren't much to brag about, but I did get an '85 Randy White in pretty sharp condition - a plus for a lifelong Cowboys fan. I don't expect any grand pulls, but for a football purist and a Topps fan, this product is pretty good. I think I will be working on the set over the course of the season (as well as the Topps Draft Picks set).
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    I picked up a box the other day also a few 89 topps and a 79 common that was dinged up and a 81 team card, other than that not to much. My question is what are the little red insert cards that will allow you to buy packs for a nickel? How does that work? and who takes them?

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought one of these boxes yesterday. The cards I got were not good, but they were all in great shape. All were from the 1980s. The only drawback? Out of 6 cards total, I got *3* 1989 Topps Traded Greg Lloyd RCs. WTF? That's terrible. I called Topps CS and they told me to return the 6-pack of vintage cards and they'd take care of me. Can't complain about that.

If I'm not mistaken, however, the rack packs are an even better deal, with 3 vintage cards per pack. I bought three rack packs as well, but didn't open them. My 3 have Alex Smith, Braylon Edwards, and Mike Williams RCs on the front, so they're staying unopened. Speaking of the racks, I like that they've tightened up the packaging so the cards can't be searched as easily as in the old days. Nice touch!

Tabe
  • Options

<< <i>I picked up a box the other day also a few 89 topps and a 79 common that was dinged up and a 81 team card, other than that not to much. My question is what are the little red insert cards that will allow you to buy packs for a nickel? How does that work? and who takes them? >>

Those 5-cent things are for a special day at your local dealer where you'll be able to buy special packs for 5 cents. Similar to last year's "National Trading Card Day", except that it's Topps-only.

Tabe
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Way to go guys. As if I didn't have enough junk to spend money on, now you got me wanting these.

Anyone ever figure out why Topps stopped the Heritage for football, basketball, and hockey? Sorry if that's been discussed before.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Then again if you were 100 years
    old you might think of cards from the 70's as modern.

JS >>

Everyone on the Net54 board thinks of 70's as modern.

regards
    John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    I plan on buying some more Topps today and will post what I pull. Hopefully, I can rely on you guys helping me out (with your duplicates) as I try to complete a set. Of the subsets, I at least want to put together the throwbacks.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Then again if you were 100 years
    old you might think of cards from the 70's as modern. >>

Or even 44.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    I bought a box of these the other day for $19.99, as well. The cards are pretty nice. As for the Vintage pack, I got (3) 1988 Chuck Nelson's (in a row!), 1986 Rod Martin, 1980 Riley Odoms, and a 1981 Freddie Scott...Not much, but the cards were in pretty good shape.

Mark
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    detroitfan2 wrote, " Way to go guys. As if I didn't have enough junk to spend money on, now you got me wanting these."

I concur!! I finally got around to ripping open my 2005 Topps Heritage (four boxes) last night and now I feel the urge to open some '05T Football!

I've got to stop reading these boards... image

hh
  • Options
    Bought a rack pack yesterday and pulled 2 1977 Ed Williams cards (weird) and a 1977 Dan Pastorini. Why couldn't it have been a Largent? By the way, do you all think buying a jumbo hobby box gives you better odds of a decent pull than buying a normal hobby box?
  • Options
    Hey if you think those 77's are 9 or better I wouldnt minde getting them from you for my registry set. Thanks !

• Options
    I want to say that they probably aren't, if I am remembering them correctly. I'll check them again to confirm and let you know. Maybe I'll post a scan.
  • Options
    Thanks for the timeimage

• Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I bought 12 rack packs and all 12 contained 1991 topps cards - mostly cr*p. I was dissapointed there wasn't more of a mix. I also bought 2 jumbo hobby boxes and pulled a Tomlinson All Pro Jersey and rookie jersey - I think of Carlos Rogers (cb on the Redskins I think). The product is way too diluted for me to buy any more. I've spent over $150 and pulled basically nothing. Time to move on to a new product.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    Gregm , i am offended that i am not in your list of references (lol)image

• Options

<< <i>I plan on buying some more Topps today and will post what I pull. Hopefully, I can rely on you guys helping me out (with your duplicates) as I try to complete a set. Of the subsets, I at least want to put together the throwbacks. >>

I got three, I think, of the throwbacks in my box. Got Roethlisberger for sure, and McNabb as well, I think. Give me a holler if you're interested in them.

Tabe
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm taking what I can get right now. What all are you looking? Anything I can help out with?
  • Options
    Not sure if this is going to work -- I'm kind of new at posting pics and not really sure of the best method for it. Here's some of the older Topps I've pulled out of '05 rack packs.

• Options
    I was at target today and saw they had three more boxes of this stuff...I then saw that one of the boxes had not one but two
    hologram stickers on it..ah haaa!!

I was sure there would be an Elway auto in it, but no such luck. Here were my vintage cards:

89 TT Kevin Murphy
    89 TT Steve Tasker
    89 TT Jessie Small
    74 T Henry Davis
    77 T Tony Adams
    81 T Gordon King

A note on the vintage cards...they seem to pull in order..these three off the topps traded were 64,65 and 66...card 70 is Aikman...should
    I buy the next box according to the hologram and see if its in their??

I also pulled one of the rookie parallels..nice Marion Barber 19/50

The rack packs I opened all had 1990 topps in it..blah...Im still waiting for a Montana RC to pop up.

JS
  • Options
    anyone pull anything decent from a rack pack yet?? I love this old school stuff..the only thing missing is the gum!

JS
  • Options
    I bought 12 rack packs and proceeded to pull all 1989... I almost sent a very heated email to topps but realized they don't have an email address image It was utterly disgusting and a mockery of the word "vintage", but what should I have expected? image
    Kobe Who? image At least Dwyane pays proper respect to Da Big Aristotle image

Yes, I collect shiny modern crap image

All your Shaq are belong to me image
  • Options
    WOW

I hit up the local taget today and they restocked it! I opened 8 rack packs and 8 2.99 packs..pulled Cedrick Benson auto!!!!

I also got a 89 Jim Kelly and Steve Largent!! VINTAGE BABY!!

JS
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    My local K-Mart got some of these in, I bought 3 boxes and got the following:

9 assorted 1989TT cards of common players (Seems to be the #1 vintage set in these)
    3 1986 Topps inlcuding a Bruce Smith
    3 1985 Topps Commons (Great shape, no chipping on edges)
    3 1981 Topps (3 commons)

Not really what I had hoped for although the Bruce Smith is might grade our a 9
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    xbaggypantsxbaggypants Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭
    The only box I bought of these had three 89 tt comonns and three 1980 topps commons all with creases and/or corner wear. At least I like the 05's

Ryan
  • Options
    Congrats on the Benson auto joe image
    Kobe Who? image At least Dwyane pays proper respect to Da Big Aristotle image

Yes, I collect shiny modern crap image

All your Shaq are belong to me image
  • Options
    I bought another 19.99 box today..I got an 84 Dorsett..the thing is centered 99/1 LR!!! LOL Another card I got had a cigarette burn
    in it..cmon topps.

Kevin
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Another card I got had a cigarette burn in it..cmon topps >>

that is hilarious.. heh..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Are you certain it was a "cigarette" burn?!
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>... Another card I got had a cigarette burn in it..cmon topps. >>

OK, you win. I thought I was going to have the "Worst Vintage Pulls" story. Guess not!

Anyway, of the 11 rack-packs I bought last week, I decided to open 10 and keep one unopened with a Marion Barber on the front and an Eli Manning on the back. The list of the 30 "vintage" cards I pulled:

(1) 1986 Topps #209 (I think -- the numbers are hard to read) Randy Edwards
    (2) 1986 Topps #210 Fredd Young
    (3) 1986 Topps #215 Gerry Ellis
    (3) 1986 Topps #216 Eddie Lee Ivery
    (3) 1986 Topps #220 Alphonso Carreker
    (2) 1986 Topps #222 Mike Douglass
    (4) 1986 Topps #223 Tim Lewis
    (3) 1986 Topps #276 Greg Brown
    (6; yes 6!!!) 1986 Topps #283 Walter Abercrombie
    (1) 1986 Topps #284 Louis Lipps
    (2) 1986 Topps #286 Mike Webster

Good thing the collation of the '05T fb cards was better than the vintage cards, or I would've been really POed. On the other hand I have a good start on the '86T set with plenty of doubles to trade (spin, spin, spin).

Since the '05T fb set seems to be a short one (440 or so cards in the base set maybe?), I may try to finish this one up. It is a nice looking design with some fun subsets...

hh

• Options
    Does PSA have an additional qualifier if the card is so o/c that it includes the card next to it on the sheet??

and now that I look at the Jeff Gossett..the hole does seem smaller..perhaps it was a joint
  • Options

<< <i>the hole does seem smaller..perhaps it was a joint >>

lol...I have a collection of Randy Moss, Onterrio Smith, Ricky Williams and Bam Morris autos that all seem to have the same problem...

Glad they don't send the actual cards to players anymore to sign.
    Collecting: Pretty much anything and everything, but raw '62s, Ripken and anything from my boys in Steeltown take top priority.