Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Looking for Minoso!

Hey guys! Hopefully one or a few of you have some Minnie Minoso cards or oddball items laying around. I am looking for anything I can get my hands on. I will pay by paypal cash or Money order if you prefer that. Just let me know what you have. Thanks.
Collecting
Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
1967 Topps PSA 8+
1960's Topps run Mega Set image
"For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso

Comments

• Options
    Jeff pretty sure i do ill look and let you know
    Always Buying & Collecting 1957 Topps Baseball 1914 cj,s 1978 bb and any Hof bb
  • Options
    Thanks I appreciate it.
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Minoso is one of the great underappreciated players in baseball history. I really think his pinch hitting antics with the White Sox in the late 70s hurt his memory, as many people viewed it as a carnival act and let that cloud their image of Minoso. Do you have any interesting scans you can share with us?

Good luck with your collection.
  • Options
    Well I don't exactly have alot of interesting Minoso items yet but I'm working on it. Here are some of my Minoso cards.

The PSA 7 replaced this beauty
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options

And you have to have an auto card image
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options

<< <i>Minoso is one of the great underappreciated players in baseball history. I really think his pinch hitting antics with the White Sox in the late 70s hurt his memory, as many people viewed it as a carnival act and let that cloud their image of Minoso. Do you have any interesting scans you can share with us?

Good luck with your collection. >>

I think you are right that it did change or wrongfully form some people's opinions of Minnie. But with all the crap going on with steroids and other scandals in baseball I love being a fan of a guy that worked hard to get where he was and didn't want to leave once he was there. There was no multimillion dollar contract he was playing for, he was playing for the love of the game. I guess I was born with the Minnie Minoso gene my dad had a pet duck when he was a kid named minnie minoso lol. I heard that story when I was a kid and when I started collecting cards I read everything I could on Minoso and now I want one of everything that was made of him. I'm working on some deals to get a few oddball items but not everyone carries alot of his cards.
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options
    I shot a game of pool with him last summer he is a really nice man and likes to have a few laughs!
  • Options
    Hey jeff i have an item i think you might love! If your in the chicago area call me 312 636 5666 jeff
  • Options
    I've yet to meet him, but have heard all good things. Pretty sad that I haven't as I'm from Chicago and seem to always miss all of his appearances.
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options
    Just got this bad boy in the mail. image

Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options
    Anyone?
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options
    I was looking for Minnie as well in Chicago last Thursday as he was supposed to be there signing autographs at the Nationals from 2:30-4:00pm last week. Apparantly the hour and a half was too long to sit there and he cut out early. Got a $22 refund and a 1953 Bowman card not worth much more than to get signed.

I still like the guy, just not as much. I mean, come one, don't agree to do autograph sessions if you don't want to stay the whole time.
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    He was sitting 3 rows from us at the White Sox game last nite, seemed really friendly and willing to shake hands, chat, sign, or take pictures with anyone that approached.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

nice cards.. thanks for showing the scans..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    it's a shame he is not in the hall of fame. minnie definately was a victim of racial prejudice early in his career. did not get started till age 28. his stats from age 28 and older are better than almost anyone (except the juicers of the last few years)
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments guys. I agree he definitely had to take the hard road to the "bigs". And there is absolutely no good reason why he is not in the hall of fame. But I still have faith that some day he will get his due and the respect he deserves.
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Actually Minnie pinch'd hit in 1980 for the last time. he retired in 64, came out of retirement in 76 and then again in 1980 making him a 5 decade player. Nick Altrock did somthing similar in the 30's if I am not mistaken. He played 1890's 00's 10's 20's 30's

edited to add not sure who was older but both were in their 57th year.

paige i think was 59 making him the oldest to play in a MLB game

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    I remeber when Minnie was going to pinch hit in the 90's. (1994?) Some of the players on the team had a problem with letting him do it, so it never took place. Minnie is always willing to sign autographs. I see him at least 3-4 times a year just walking around the ballpark. It is amazing how many people don't even notice him.
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    I actually had a guy tell me the same thing this last weekend. That he saw him at the game and not one person recognized him. It's a damn shame.
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options
    Jeff:

I did 2 dozen balls with Minnie this past weekend at the National. Great guy but he is starting to get frail unfortunately.

I have a couple of Red Mans if you are interested. Both are pretty nice and raw.

Thanks
    AZ
  • Options
    Do they have the tabs? And yeah from pics I have seen he is not looking his best glad you had a good time with him.
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options

Still Looking if you have a card that I don't have listed in my sets or an upgrade let me know.

Basic

Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Bill James did a nice write-up on Minoso in the updated Historical Abstract. His thinking was that Minoso was an easy HOFer if he had just made the majors 3-4 years earlier, rather than at age 28, IIRC. His quote was that Minoso had just as fine a career after age 28 as many HOFers did, but the counting numbers just don't add up to the milestones that people like to see. After reading that I also became interested in collecting his stuff, but never accumulated much. And I'd say that the pinch-hitting thing helped him more than it hurt him. Without that, would anyone but committed Sox or baseball fans remember him at all? I doubt it.

Anyway, he is a very collectible player, with recent autograph cards, including Topps Heritage, IIRC, and he's affordable, too.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990

What a long name! LOL

Saturnino Orestes Armas Minoso Arrieta

GREAT player too!!!!
  • Options
    Just picked this bad boy up on ebay:

Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Sorry for going up against you on it. I had tried to get one signed at the National (PSA 2), but he left before his scheduled time, and I missed out. image
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    I was wondering why i had to fight for a minoso on ebay lol. Sorry for beating you out then. Well a little. I may be looking to move my 4 posted earler in this post if you are interested.
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options
    That's ok. I've got to list the PSA 2 that I had purchased at the show to get signed. Fortunatly I didn't crack it before finding out he had gone (unlike the PSA 6 Marichal rookie that I had cracked before getting to the show to have him leave as I was getting to the autograph pavillion).
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    While looking for Tom Tresh, I came across Minnie Minoso in the Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading, and Bubble Gum Book (perhaps the most essential, or only essential, book on card collecting ever written). Here's what they had to say about Minnie in 1972:

<< <i>Minnie Minoso played the game the way it's supposed to be played. He did not have the power of a Mantle or the overall talent of a Mays, but he sprayed hits to all fields, never swung at a bad pitch, crowded the plate, bunte, stole bases, broke up double-plays, made diving catches, and always, but always, hit the cut-off man. He loved to play baseball, was in every minute of every game he ever played and never let up, no matter how one-sided the score. He was what baseball was all about and, as a matter of fact, he still is what baseball is all about. Because last year at an age when most baseball players have resigned themselves to placid careers of fly-tying and package store operation, Minnie Minoso was one of the leading hitters in the Mexican League. And by Jesus, I bet he can still do everything as well as he ever did. >>

WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options

<< <i>While looking for Tom Tresh, I came across Minnie Minoso in the Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading, and Bubble Gum Book (perhaps the most essential, or only essential, book on card collecting ever written). Here's what they had to say about Minnie in 1972:

<< <i>Minnie Minoso played the game the way it's supposed to be played. He did not have the power of a Mantle or the overall talent of a Mays, but he sprayed hits to all fields, never swung at a bad pitch, crowded the plate, bunte, stole bases, broke up double-plays, made diving catches, and always, but always, hit the cut-off man. He loved to play baseball, was in every minute of every game he ever played and never let up, no matter how one-sided the score. He was what baseball was all about and, as a matter of fact, he still is what baseball is all about. Because last year at an age when most baseball players have resigned themselves to placid careers of fly-tying and package store operation, Minnie Minoso was one of the leading hitters in the Mexican League. And by Jesus, I bet he can still do everything as well as he ever did. >>

>>

Thats really cool. Thanks.
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options
    Jeff, there is a autographed 54 Bowman SGC/JSA card ending in 14 minutes if you want it.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    That is strange. I never saw that listed and still can't find it in completed auctions. How was it listed? Do you have a link?
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options
    Jeff -- David Vargha has a 1955 Red Man Minoso PSA 4 (with tab). It looks like a 7+, but upon closer inspection, the top two corners have slight creases in them. E-mail him at davidvargha@hotmail.com if you are interested.
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    Thanks he has mail.
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options
    I was set up at at George Johnson (Chicago) show about twleve (10, 11, 12...) years ago selling my super hot Gary Sheffield '89 UD Rookies (he was on a homerun tear at the time) and Minne was set up at the table next to me signing autographs. It was not a very busy day for him (or me for that point!) but he was super friendly and shared manymany stories with me. When I got home that day I called my father and told him some of the stories Minne had talked about. My Dad (being a die-hard Sox fan) was ecstatic. After awhile he asked me if what I had him autograph... Uh.... All day long and I never had him sign anything... Never even thought about it. Oops.
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    I have no Minoso items, but I remember going with my Dad to see Indianapolis Indians games in the early '60s. I was a very little kid at that time. Minoso had been sent down to the Indians for a while. I have distinct memories of every time Minoso came up to bat, and the crowd cheering. Long, long time ago. Why are you so interested in him?
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    From an early age my dad and grandma told me stories of my dad's pet duck named Minnie Minoso. lol. Well when I was old enough to be interested in baseball I read about Minoso and couldn't believe his career and his accomplishments and his trials and tribulations inspired me. So I guess I am first interested in him because of my dad and second because of all the things he went through to do what he loved and all for the love of the game and not multimillion dollar contracts. He reminds me of how pure baseball used to be. He is a national treasure and it is a crying shame he is not in the HOF.
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    There has to be at least 5 stadiums named after him in Cuba...he is in the Cuban HOF as well as the Mexican HOF.

Very well respected, even after the rise of communism.

1950 Hage's Dairy would be his American rookie card...it has two diff. poses.

Caramelos Felices 1945-46 would be his first Cuban card.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Thanks to Vargha and some various ebay sellers I picked up some great new additions. By the way thanks for the tip tipem.

Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Jeff,

Those are beautiful cards, especially the Red Man. Looks incredibly nice for a PSA 4 (actually it looks nice for any grade). Thanks for sharing!

Bob
  • Options
    The redman is freaking unbelievable. Should be a 7-8 but there is some wrinkling on the back on the top corner. But it presents like an 8 and I love it. I buy the card and not the holder. Thanks for the compliments.
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options
    Getting down to the wire anyone with any of these cards already graded by PSA let me know

Link to basic set
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options
    Anyone?
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Just saw this on the Beckett boards.

The poster says it's a 1946 Caramelo Deportivo Orestes "Minnie" Minoso XRC

Pretty cool.
  • Options
    Don't know if you want to take a chance on this one, but it sure looks nice if it's legit. 53 Topps Minoso raw 7?
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    VintageJeffVintageJeff Posts: 1,282
    Took a break for awhle due to financial troubles but i'm back looking for Minoso's!!! btw i had seen that card before AJW now i just need to buy one. Still kicking myself for passing on the last one.
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options
    Here is my latest win on ebay. Anyone out there with Minoso items?

Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff

Glad to see you're back on the trail.

Good luck on your collection.

mike

edit: I don't remember having anything interesting - but as I finish my closet cleanup - if I find anything, I will contact you.
    Mike