Home Stamps Forum
Options

What do you feel constitutes a plate block?

Please discuss.

Comments

• Options
    A block is usually considered 4 or more stamps. The key is it could be more than four to be a plate block. In Scott's prices they usually identify what is considered a collectible plate block for each stamp or set of stamps. I am sure others will have input but I think you almost have to rely on Scott.
  • Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Plate blocks or plate number blocks are a group of 4 to 20 stamps (depends on issue) with the plate number in the margin/selvedge. There are other types of blocks such as zip, which you mentioned in another post, centerline blocks, and postal phrases blocks.

Doug

BTW xpipedreamr, did you ever try those hot pepper seeds?
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    I see older plate blocks that appear to be from the middle of the side of the sheet, rather than a corner. (I haven't really gotten into older ones yet, so I don't know if this is just how it was done back then, or what). They have six stamps where the middle two have the plate number adjacent, and then two stamps on either side of those. Maybe I can find an example...hold on...

OK...like this:

Why not just four stamps, or is there an unwritten rule that you need stamps on either side of the ones with the plate number?

Then what about these:

On the first, I can see why you wouldn't want to rip the BEP logo in half.

On the second, though, what if the bottom row of stamps were gone? Would it still be considered a "plate block?"

Just for fun, here's another one like the Lincoln stamp. I think I'm going to have to get some of these image

But what if the leftmost column of stamps were missing. Would it be considered a plate block? I guess of course it would be a block of stamps with a plate number, but what I mean is, would it meet the needs of a plate block collector?

OK, then we have something like this:

It seems like you would want a column of stamps on either side

So, does Scott spell out in each of these case what exactly is the "standard" plate block for each of these issues? Is it somewhat arbitrary? Is the mantra of the coin boards, "Collect what you like," applicable here? I'm happy to collect what I like, but I wouldn't want to get ripped off by someone who is, say, offering a plate block that does not conform to the standards of whatever the price guides are considering a plate block to be. Which is why I won't be getting any of these until I'm a little more knowledgeable.

This all makes me long for the simplicity of a good old corner plate block

Because with these others, my anal retentive collecting nature is going to force me to collect the whole damn sheet, or at least the whole side of the sheet, until this plate block mess is sorted out imageimage

PS: Yes, Doug, I have tried the peppers. They are...they are...hmmmmmmmmmmmm...how would I put this?

Let's just say that I find them to be rather spicy imageimageimage
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    And look at this

As an aside, the Touro Synagogue was the first (of only a few) stamps that I actually drew out a first day cover envelope for and sent in image
  • Options
    Plate blocks are colected primarily because of the type of printing(but also the popularity of the format in which they were saved, i.e. plate strips of 3 were common in the earlier years of collecting). Except for the "experimental plates" early rotary press stamp sheets have the # in the corner and are thus collected that way,a block of four with the # in the corner. Flat plate stamps have the number at the sides of the sheet and that format lends itself to being collected in a balanced block of 6. You assumed correct on the BEP logo, why tear it in half ,it wouldn't be very attractive. I think the Brookman has values for oddball "plateblocks" but that book is a dealers catalog. Look at the APS "Stampstore". Just about everything quoted on there is Brookman, it's perfect because a lot of the values are inflated and lists formats that constitute plateblocks that the Scott catalog does not cover or list values for. Well taht's my 2 cents (or maybe 3)