Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

GAI Pack Info Needed

I just bought my 1st graded GAI pack. it is graded a 7.5. who has opened GAI packs with a grade the same or near it, and what condition were the cards in?

Comments

• Options
    I busted a GAI 1975 GAI pack, of 75 topps (GAI 8)...(just had to do it)..anyway, I didnt pull any stars but did submit and pull 2 psa 9's and 3 psa 8's ..

hope that helps

would love to see a scan of the pack...what year is it? What sport?
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    what yr and company pack are we talking about?

I would not open any graded pack.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    FYSFYS Posts: 194

<< <i>what yr and company pack are we talking about?

I would not open any graded pack.

SD >>

If you can have packs sit idle in your house, then you are not a true collector. Just a newbie talking, so do not get too excited. I do however believe there is a lot of truth to that statement. Collect wrappers from each year, bust the packs open for god's sake. Not economical, but a hell of a lot of enjoyment. Isn't that what it is all about.
  • Options
    it is a pack of 86/87 Fleer Basketball graded 7.5.. i am jst wondering what condition i shoud expect
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you can have packs sit idle in your house, then you are not a true collector >>

Guess I'm not a true collector then. Maybe I should trade a few of my sets for some of those shiny refractors.

If you're buying 50's and 60's packs and ripping them open then you are throwing money away- better to buy graded cards, it'll come out a lot cheaper.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options

<< <i>who has opened GAI packs with a grade the same or near it, and what condition were the cards in? >>

Don't really think one has much to do with the other. They are grading pack condition and not how the cards inside are going to look. The pack could pull a 10 and everything inside could be o/c.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,808 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << If you can have packs sit idle in your house, then you are not a true collector >>

That's a rediculous statement not even worth commenting on.

<<< If you're buying 50's and 60's packs and ripping them open then you are throwing money away- better to buy graded cards, it'll come out a lot cheaper. >>>

Absolutely correct - and it's not even close. Bust an unopened pack once in a while to have some fun...sure, why not? But to make a habit of busting unopened packs hoping to make a profit?...bad idea...a money loser.
  • Options
    What's a 59 Topps pack worth???

I've busted one on my birthday each year since 1999, just for the fun of it....pretty stupid,eh???

Someone told me that the wrapper from a 56 Topps is worth $100 so I've kept the wrappers...any truth to this??

I also keep the boxes from '54-'61 since I saw one on an auction about 5 years ago.

So far, I've gotten a Whitey Ford, Killebrew, and Yankees Team from the 59's. About 70% are 8/9 and the commons seem to be pretty pricey now....

What's the math????
    ADVICE....Wise men don't need it and fools don't heed it
  • Options
    Clevefan,
    Can I buy one of your 59 packs for my birthday? I could not force myself to open it (yes I am a true collector), but would love to have one for my pack collection, please PM me or email me at ctdean @ email.com, that is an awesome gift to give youself each year!
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What's a 59 Topps pack worth???

Depending on condition.........$300-$450

I've busted one on my birthday each year since 1999, just for the fun of it....pretty stupid,eh???

YES!!!

Someone told me that the wrapper from a 56 Topps is worth $100 so I've kept the wrappers...any truth to this??

Wrappers bring some cash........$100 for the 56 Topps not out of the questions. 59 Topps wrappers go for $55-$80

I also keep the boxes from '54-'61 since I saw one on an auction about 5 years ago.

Boxes have a market also......

What's the math???? >>

Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    If pack is worth $300-450 I am sure that cards in it are at least double that based on SMR and e-bay sales that I have seen.

What is the scintillating characteristic of the "Pack"? ...the lottery aspect that there may be a PSA9 Mantle inside but no one will ever know??

I am being serious and am also not very astute regarding all the ins and outs of collecting today. I just bought cards for 6-7 years when I was a pup and anally kept them in a box for 40 years.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If pack is worth $300-450 I am sure that cards in it are at least double that based on SMR and e-bay sales that I have seen.

>>

No, the cards in the unopened pack are usually worth alot less. It's, as you say, the intrinsic possibility of a high-end HOFer that drives up the price of the unopened pack.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    300-450 for a 59 pack, sell them all to me. a 59 pack will go for at least 1k if it is in nice condition
  • Options

<< <i>300-450 for a 59 pack, sell them all to me. a 59 pack will go for at least 1k if it is in nice condition >>

According to the Pack price guide I got from the BBC kid:

5cent wax pack 59's are valued at the following prices:

Series I 1-110 1500.00
    Series II 111-198 1000.00
    Series III 199-286 900.00
    Series IV 287-374 900.00
    Series V 375-440 900.00
    Series VI 441-506 1000.00
    Series VII 507-572 1200.00

hope that helps
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you can have packs sit idle in your house, then you are not a true collector. Just a newbie talking, so do not get too excited. >>

Wow. I won't even bother. As a newbie and not a true collector, anything I say is probably off base anyway.

P.S. I'll take all of the $450 1959 unopened packs that packcollector can't fit in his house. Just let me know where to send the truck.
  • Options

If you can have packs sit idle in your house, then you are not a true collector. Just a newbie talking, so do not get too excited. I do however believe there is a lot of truth to that statement. Collect wrappers from each year, bust the packs open for god's sake. Not economical, but a hell of a lot of enjoyment. Isn't that what it is all about.

yep that is me a newbie......this from a guy 10 posts in...........or is it?

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i><< If you can have packs sit idle in your house, then you are not a true collector >> >>

This statement is idiotic. If someone collects high end unopened packs, the odds of getting your money back by opening them is not very good. I guess everyone on here that is a pack collector is not a true collector, dude I think you have probably offended a lot of people with that statement.

Edited: Only if you are talking about vintage.

Stingray

• Options
    I must be missing somthing, first off my comment was in reference to a graded pack. it also would go w/o saying that opening a vintage ungraded pack could be foolish too. however, maybe out friend (with10 posts) thought the discussion was about 1992 Fleer packs.

If that is the case then perhaps he is correct.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Have some will power don't open it. I think unopened packs are one of the best display items ever, especially the racks and cellos. It is like only having one chip don't eat the whole bag. It is worth so much more unopened compared to opening it up and finding o/c dinged commons with gum stuck to it. I will leave the pack busting to the modern collectors, pack searchers. feelers etc. I agree opening up something especially vintage gets the heart racing however risky.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    If you're buying 50's and 60's packs and ripping them open then you are throwing money away- better to buy graded cards, it'll come out a lot cheaper. >>

YEAH SURE, Like the guy who pulled the 52 topps Pafko PSA 10????
  • Options
    The Pafko is the exception to the rule.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>

P.S. I'll take all of the $450 1959 unopened packs that packcollector can't fit in his house. Just let me know where to send the truck. >>

And, if there are any left, I'll happily take those! I haven't even seen a 1959 pack in quite a while.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Pafko is the exception to the rule. >>

OK what about Cdnuts busts of desert storm and 78 racks, he came out even? What about the guy who pulled the 60 yaz and the 60 mantle boyer psa 9. I feel it is ridiculous to say it is just plain "not worth the money" to bust old packs, it depends on the pack, price, etc. I just grabbed 3 1975 cellos from Fritsch, if I get a Ryan PSa 9 those go for 1800 bucks. If some low pop commons grade 9, or if there is anything I should do ok. Granted it is NOT a wise investment, why dont we use a bit of conversation from the Simpsons

MArge "Homey, do you really think you are going to get rich in the grease business?"

Homer (sarcastically) " No Marge, I plan of getting rich from savings and wise investments, duh."

BTW don't buy any of those x-mas rack packs, unless you fell like losing 500$, the packs yeild no stars, unless they are showing, and cards are ex-mt and worse
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    "IF" Let us know IF you do.

Stingray
  • Options
    Please continue to bust, the more you bust the less is out there. Therefore my unopened collection goes up in value. Simple supply and demand.
  • Options
    I am sooooooooooooooo confused. All I know for sure is that collectors/investors have different opinions on packs. I guess that I have been lucky in that most of mine have revealed a good value inside. I used to go around to grocery stores/drug stores and buy them out @ end of season when football cards came in. Since baseball was "over" for most when the football came in, I didnt open them.

Most of the cards I'm missing in good grade for 56-61 come from the high series and that is what most of the packs are so I guess I'm just finishing up my collection a little late by opening packs.

I promise to quit until March imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Granted it is NOT a wise investment... >>

You misspelled "gamble."
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

ok, ok.. who cares?.. collect what you like, open what you like, hell, burn what you dont like..

i have some unopened stuff (nothing expensive).. but i think what appeals to me about unopened packs is the "display" aspect of it, as Dand52261 said in an earlier post..

this might not make any sense, maybe its corny, whatever.. but.. for me its kinda like a journey back in time.. i guess you could say the same thing about single cards, but anyway..

also, i'm not a "pack" collector, i'm a "card" collector but i consider unopened packs "cards".. and they are..

and for whatever it's worth, i'll defend the guy that made the "newbie" statement.. i think (and hope) he was referring to himself as a newb.. (ie: i'm just a newb, dont get too excited).. i think that was his way of explaining his "If you can have packs sit idle in your house, then you are not a true collector" statement..

NEWBS!
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Thank you. I dream about what lies in the middle of my cellos and racks all of the time. Believe it or not, goofy or not. It helps me sleep. I know there a probably some screamers hiding in the middle of those however I like leaving them unopened. As well the chronic helps me sleep, I need to find a 6 foot bong recreation area please advise.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Seems like almost everybody here (Except Rep.Mass) is on one end of the spectrum- Busting vintage/high end packs is not profitable. While I can certainly agree that this can be said for the majority of stuff out there, it's certainly not true for everything. Take the following points:

- As Rep. Mass mentioned, I have busted 1978 Topps wax/rack (the equivalent of 6 wax boxes) and 1991 Topps desert Shield packs (26 packs) for profit. This also takes into account that I have a decent eye for grading and usually don't waste money sending something in unless I stand to make a profit. I've also took a few of the cards aside for my own collection (Ripken D.Shield, most of the RCs in 78).

- I have lost money on the following: 1985 Donruss rack case, 1985 Topps vending case, 1983 Topps vending boxes (10), 1986 Topps Football cello box. Everything else I've opened has been for a profit/loss under $100, and they almost even out.

- I made $700 on a 1960 Topps pack that I was forced into opening after the glue came undone as I was checking it for authenticity. I'm certainly not saying go out and bust all the 1960 packs you can find, but on this occasion it worked out for me. In fact, I had planned on sending it to GAI to grade and resell. Let's just call it a happy accident.

- Throughout everything I've opened, the following conclusion can be made: Opening vintage stuff at random will most likely prove to be unprofitable. However, with experience, it is possible to find particular items from which money can be made by busting and grading. Unfortunately, that experience can be expensive, but now I'm close to black after those 78 boxes.

Lee
  • Options
    I guess to be fair I should clarify my position - so as to not get lumped in with any particular side.

If you enjoy busting packs, bust packs. The hobby is about having fun. If that's what you want to do, go for it.

If you enjoy having packs to look at, that's cool too. The hobby is about having fun. If that's what you want to do, go for it.

Can it be profitable? Sure. Anything can, with enough knowledge and skill. But it doesn't seem like anybody would argue that it's a good thing to dabble in.
  • Options
    The original question was "should I bust a GAI graded pack.

it then went off to opening ungraded packs.

My answer is I would not open a graded pack. it is slabbed

I might open an ungraded pack if the price is right and all the other reasons already mentioned.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    FYSFYS Posts: 194

<< <i>

and for whatever it's worth, i'll defend the guy that made the "newbie" statement.. i think (and hope) he was referring to himself as a newb.. (ie: i'm just a newb, dont get too excited).. i think that was his way of explaining his "If you can have packs sit idle in your house, then you are not a true collector" statement..

NEWBS! >>

Bingo!!! I meant I am a newbie and yes I know my statement will be constroversial to some extent, so do not bring out the pitch forks and fire.