Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How much do PSA graders make?

How much do PSA graders make? Any thoughts on their salary?

Comments

• Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    poof image

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    DaBigHurt,

Everytime I see your Dolphins Stadium picture, it reminds me of the day game I spent watching the marlins. By the seventh inning we were all dying of sun stroke, ...all 8,000 of us!

We left the stadium, and listened to the last few innings in an air conditioned auto!image

rbd

go fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: Mikey Lowe and AJ Burnett are still Marlins! (I hope?)

And P.S. Grading cards 5 days a week, I think, would be compared to working in a micro chip assembly line! (But do the graders get stock options? Health Insurance? 401K? Along with that salary, we don't know about!
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    They get paid for each card they grade. I think they make a quarter for every 5 or lower. A dime for every 6 - 8, a nickel for every 9 and a penny for every 10.

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>They get paid for each card they grade. I think they make a quarter for every 5 or lower. A dime for every 6 - 8, a nickel for every 9 and a penny for every 10.

image >>

I was thinking the EXACT same thing!!!!
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Come on now, you need to move a little higher up the food chain if you really want to gain proper perspective...

CLCT Yahoo Finance

Mr. Michael R. Haynes , 54
    Chief Exec. Officer $ 498.00K N/A
    Mr. David G. Hall , 58
    Pres $ 600.00K N/A
    Mr. Michael J. Lewis , 61
    Chief Financial Officer and Principal Accounting Officer $ 348.00K N/A
    Mr. Paul Montgomery ,
    Pres - Bowers and Merena Galleries N/A N/A
    Mr. Joseph J. Orlando , 33
    Pres of Professional Sports Authenticator and Pres of PSA/DNA Authentication Services N/A N/A

Joe is obviously only a President of a branch of Mr. Haynes' company, but I am sure he makes a 200+K salary. The company's stock is basically on a 5-year high currently, $40/share being the highest realized price, but that was a long time ago.

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    I think a lot of them are smokers, so whatever they make a lot of it goes up in smoke.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    the Marlins didnt trade away any players this year.

That picture is probably from 1998 after the managment traded away the 1997 world series champs.

I have one of those mini plans 48 games a season, mostly weekends and the stadium has some decent attaendance, they just need a new stadium with a retractable roof.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Calleocho, the picture is from 2003 - the year the Marlins won the World Series. image

Come on, I'm from South Florida. Let's not kid ourselves. The fans have NEVER and will NEVER support the Marlins. The reason fans don't show up is not because they don't have a new stadium. The Miami Heat got a new arena a few years ago and the place was a graveyard until they got Shaq. South Florida is a bush league town that's filled with front running phonies. You know it and I know it. Even if a team wins, it's not enough. The Marlins didn't even sell out their playoff games in '97 and '03. Only when they got to the WS did the bandwagon become full. Of course, right after that, attendence fell back to their pathetic levels. Just look at the attendance of the Marlins in '04, after winning the championship.

• Options

Marlins attendance figures the last four years:

2002 - 29th in the league in attendance. Thank God for Montreal!

2003 - 28th in the league in attendance, just ahead of Tampa Bay and Montreal.

2004 - 26th in the league in attendance. They were able to leap frog power house clubs like Pittsburgh and Kansas City.

2005 - 27th in the league in attendance. Do we see the pattern now?

• Options
    have you seen how hot it is?

how many days has there been always been rain in the late afternoon.

Put a nice stadium right next to the water with some nice restaurants, nighclubs etc people would go.
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    South Florida is no hotter than St. Louis or Arlington in the summer, and don't forget, I LIVED in S. Florida, so I know first hand how the fans are down there. The rain? Yeah it rains in S. Florida, but it's not like they have a rain delay every other day. The excuses you offer may work with people from other parts of the country, but it won't work with me. We're talking about a CHAMPIONSHIP season in which the Marlins drew like the Devil Rays and Expos. The stats don't lie.

Let me ask you this. How did the Miami Heat draw after they moved into the state of the art American Airlines Arena? It was in downtown, surrounded by restaurants and nightlife. How'd they do the first few years?

Dolphin games are regularly blacked out, The Miami Hurricanes hardly fill 50% against non FSU teams, the Heat struggled with attendance until Shaq and the Marlins, despite winning championships, draw like the Devil Rays.

Stop making excuses for the bandwagon jumping fans in S. Florida.

• Options
    Awesome thread!!!
  • Options
    Do you have to graduate from grading school?

What do you tell your friends you do for a living?
  • Options
    the marlins have the most rain delays of any major league team.

so far this year they have missed something like 900 minutes.

It sounds like i am making excuses, but i really believe a stadium would help.

Groucho Marx
  • Options
    I really think being a grader must be one of the worst jobs ever!

Groucho Marx
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Didn't we have a post like this last yr? and did that post not make it past noon the next day?

this one will be no different.

SD

edited to add: I bet if you asked one he/she would reply "not enough"

Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>the marlins have the most rain delays of any major league team.

so far this year they have missed something like 900 minutes.

It sounds like i am making excuses, but i really believe a stadium would help. >>

A new stadium would help, but do you really think S. Florida baseball fans deserve a new stadium?

They sure as heck haven't shown any loyalty to the Marlins. Look at the Panthers hockey team. They built a brand new arena and struggled in attendance. I already mentioned the Heat and their new arena.

The fans haven't show me any reason whatsoever to believe they'll ever support baseball in S. Florida.

The Marlins are one of the most exciting teams in all of baseball, with many home grown players. They added Carlos Delgado and won a world championship just two years ago and have two in the last eight years. You're going to have to come up with a better excuse than rain for the abysmal Marlin attendance.

• Options
    I think it'd be a fun job. I'm thinking about dropping out of medical school to pursue it. image
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    I believe they are paid with 1989 Score baseball cards.......
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    I'm not sure why some of you guys are making fun of graders.

You're paying a lot of money for their opinions.

Can you imagine what they're saying about YOU!?!
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe they are paid with 1989 Score baseball cards....... >>

Geez, and I thought it was 1990 score commons, 1989 commons seem scare compared to 1990!
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    "I really think being a grader must be one of the worst jobs ever!"

I think it's one of those jobs that depend alot on specific work conditions. For instance, I could probably have a lot of fun grading 150-200 vintage cards a day. But I would not want to be the guy who's got to pore over 600 '89 TT Griffey's before 6 pm.
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Agreed.

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I know what they are thinking--"I can't believe he/she didn't submit this under DSL/4SC. He/she will never get that 9 or 10 now!!"