Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

IS THERE ABETTER WAY TO LOSE MONEY THAN TO BUY FINEST KNOWNS ?

IS IT ONLY OTHER COINS OR ARE FINEST KNOWN COINS BEING WATERED DOWN BY THE POPULATION CHARTS TOO?
GTS

Comments

• Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Can you make the QUESTIONS a little clearer, please? Seriously.
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I DON'T KNOW, LET ME STEW ON IT FOR AWHILE, AND MAYBE I CAN CONJURE UP A REASONABLE REPLY.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    LET ME FIND OUT HOW TO GET RID OF BIG LETTERS FIRST AND I'LL WORK ON AN ANSWER.

-dANIEL
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    DAniEl WHatS WrONg WItH BIg lEtTeRs??
  • Options
    Playing top POP is OK !

Just play with early stuff that has some history.

I didnt look at prices but i suspect a 57 Linky Proof in 67 Cam is always gonna be worth more than say an 05 Buff in 70 DCAM !

Proof
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I don't think I have any idea what this thread is really about......... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    Lets see what this sells for.

A 1957 Linky in 67 CAM is gonna be about a Duece with a POP of about 80 or so

This Buff is gonna go Pop of about 700 in say 6 months.

Which would you rather have ?

Link O Rama

Proof
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I've owned a couple finest knowns and I've sold all of them. I made money on a couple and lost a little on a couple. I think I've pretty much broke even. It really depends on what coins we're talking about. A finest known with several grades higher than the next finest known in general will always do pretty well. I had one finest known with no other coins graded, a 1894 PR66 DCAM 25c. I lost a little on that one; I guess you can't win them all.
  • Options
    Thank you proof1957 for your answer.Sorry about the caplock button.
    GTS
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

Yes, there are many better ways to lose money.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    There are over 317 1920 Saint Gaudens $20 Double Eagles graded MS64 by PCGS, $4,300.00 PCGS price guide.
    There is 1 1920 Saint Gaudens $20 Double Eagle graded MS65 by PCGS 40,000.00 PCGS price guide.
    In reality that Finest known MS65 1920 Saint would command and even higher premium,Some day someone with a keen eye is going to crackout the nicest of the 64'S and get it in a 65 holder.All I'm saying is buying into this whole finest known concept is to set your self up for fall.Lets face it there is nowhere else to go but down from there,It is not likely that in five years they will decide your coin was even finer then all the others.It is buying at the top and hoping everything stays as it is.
    GTS
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GTS---Agree completely. That's why I like to buy at the highest grade before the big price jump.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IS THERE ABETTER WAY TO LOSE MONEY THAN TO BUY FINEST KNOWNS ?

On average? No.

But finest knowns also offer the best way to MAKE money.

The key is to buy the right finest known at the right price and at the right time.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file