Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My SF ANA report.

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
Flew down on Friday AM and headed right for the convention. Met Boiler78 and Rick Kay who was kind enough to stash my suitcase behind the case.

Briefly sat down and previewed about 25 coins at Heritage I was interested in. Nothing like the internet to allow one to wittle it down to the essentials.

Had a chance to catch up with some old friends and make some new ones. First, the old ones. Boiler78, Rick Kay, Rick Snow, Brian Wagner, Moose (Dr. 1794), Julian (who sold me a great pattern - J356b in P65), Andy Lustig, Scott Schecter, all the folks at PCGS (more tomorrow on that), Blay, TDN and a few others that I'm embarassed to say I'm probably blanking on! image

Made some new friends - Seth Chandler, the new grading champ. Airplanenut - finally met in person. Anonymous fellow pattern collector who took Boiler78 and I out for dinner Saturday. Met some dealers that were a real delight. Have started to actually get to know some folks who deal in coins other than IHC and FE cents! Really enjoyed getting to know Dave Patton especially at Gold Rush Gallery while talking about coins. Turns out we have quite a bit in common. They are the folks that built the great collection auctioned at the Jan. FUN sale. Coppercoins was there - what a memory for coins details - WOW!!

Went to the PCGS lunch Friday. It looks like that, unless you were getting recognized, you didn't show. Room was more sparse than I expected - likely because the "2 block" walk was more like a mile! I suspect some got lost. Last lunch I went to was standing room only.

There were some great coins on the bourse, but you had to know the folks that owned them, I suspect. There were some great overpriced coins waiting for newbie suckers. I'll omit names to protect the innocent dealers. You'll likely read about them in the Ohio proceedings! TDN as usual had some cool material. Attendance seemed a bit sparse. I'll leave it to the dealers to speak about the business.

Boiler helped me find a 1856 S9 PCGS P65. Also bought my first gold coin, a 1795 $5 PCGS Au55 - far better look than the usual AU 1795 (pics later - getting photos taken at PCGS with their new service). Dark Side coin posted earlier - a GB Sov. in Gold.

Last but not least, BJ et al at PCGS did a GREAT job with the pattern display with Boiler78's and my collections. There was so much to see at the show that the traffic seemed a bit weak but overall a success.

Returned home early Sunday - taxiied with Boiler to the airport at 5:15AM only to find out I was supposed to be at the Oakland Airport! Worked out alright - they worked me in to a 7AM flight instead of 9AM out of Oakland.

Will add to this post later if anything else comes to mind. Hope others post their experiences. Always fun to read. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file