Home Sports Talk
Options

Spending money to make your team better poll

For all you anti-Yankee and Steinbrenner fans.....OK, let's say you were a diehard Kansas City Royals fan since 1969 and your team is 38-67. Let's say someone as wealthy as Steinbrenner bought the Royals and spent as much to make them contenders. Would you root for them? This one should be interesting. Let's see how many hypocrites are out there.

Comments

• Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    Gemmy WITH OUT A DOUBT! why would you be a fan? if you had no chance of winning?

whoever answers no is an idiot!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Gemmy10Gemmy10 Posts: 2,990

The results are in-

NO:

(1) Axtell Rose (Shanty Town)
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Funny that I haven't even voted yet.

Spammy...people aren't hypocrites in calling out the yankees for spending $200 million. People are calling out the yankees for spending $200 million and excelling in their mediocrity.

And spammy, I call YOU out because of everything you post, is about the yankees world series rings, their penants. The poll question I pose to you is, if the yankees had never won a world series, and had mired in .500 ball since, would you be a fan?

The overwhelming majority of voters would vote a resounding NO.
  • Options

Just for clarification, the poll question should read "Would you continue to root for your former LOSING team if a new owner spent $200 Million to make them a winner?"

I added the word "former" in case Axtey (Shanty Town) was in a state of confusion. Of course, I know most knew what I meant.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Lame.

Spammy, would you be a yankees fan if they hadn't won 26 world series? No?

I've been a M's fan when the former owners spent little money on the team, am still a fan when they payroll hit $85 million this year and the team still struggling.

What you can't seem to grasp is a true fan, a REAL fan will root for their team no matter what...no matter what the payroll, no matter how many (or how few) world series rings, no matter what happens.

You root for the yankees simply because they have won the most world series - and that, sir, is NO fan to me.

• Options

As stated several times I started rooting for the Yankees in 1969 when they were 80-81. I rooted for the Baltimore Orioles against the Mets in the World Series that year. Since then the Yankees have had bad years and it hit rock bottom in 1990 when the Yankees were 67-95 (.414) but I have always stuck with them. With that said, I don't think other people who read these posts care a rat's behind about what you make up about me. Now go back to pounding salt.
  • Options

<< <i>For all you anti-Yankee and Steinbrenner fans.....OK, let's say you were a diehard Kansas City Royals fan since 1969 and your team is 38-67. Let's say someone as wealthy as Steinbrenner bought the Royals and spent as much to make them contenders. Would you root for them? This one should be interesting. Let's see how many hypocrites are out there. >>

As a die hard Cubs fan who has never experienced a WS win or game for that matter, my answer is a resounding YES!!!!! if the money is spent wisely

The Cubs have a big payroll. but have spent foolishly by giving Latroy Hawkins $3.5MM, Kerry Wood $9MM, and by paying for much of Sam-ME's salary in BAL for him to K and get booed.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As stated several times I started rooting for the Yankees in 1969... >>

Several times?? : cough understatement cough :

<< <i>...but I have always stuck with them... >>

Hmmm... Funny you mention that... When the Yanks were stinking up the joint, you were no where to be found. They start winning and you post numerous threads. They go on a 5 or 6 game losing streak and no posts from Spammy. They go on a 5 or 6 game winning streak and you act like they won the World Series.

Again and again this has been your MO. Just ask anyone here...
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<<they go on a 5 or 6 game losing streak and no posts from Spammy.>>

I do usually post more when they win but that simply is not true.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Axtell makes some good points. Myself - I'm a Phillies and Eagles fan...win or lose. Do I show a bit more interest when they are winning and are in contention for a playoff spot?...of course. But even when they're buried for the season I still am a fan and show interest for the coming season as there is always hope. I have attended Phillies and Eagles games in the past when they were completely out of contention...maybe that wasn't smart - LOL...but it was being a fan which I'll always be.

Steve
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Shanty Town is a long time diehard fan of the Seattle Mariners. >>

Bravo, Spammy. You sure are on the ball today with your witty and original comments... Have you contacted CU to report your conspiracy yet?

<< <i><<they go on a 5 or 6 game losing streak and no posts from Spammy.>>

I do usually post more when they win but that simply is not true. >>

Huh? Do you read what you post? Anyway... Go do a monthly search and see for yourself. When the Yanks were stinking up the joint, the only thing we heard were the sounds of crickets chirping... I mean don't act too surprised, it's not like EVERYONE calls you out on this...
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    I've been a Royals fan since I was born in '70...ok - that's a stretch, but at least since the mid 70's.....I'll back the Royals whether win or loss, because I have good memories from my childhood.

Gemmy - I'm not sure I understand the question....hence my response may not be what you were asking.

....But to your point, no one (who was sane) would spend that much on the Royals ---- they would lose money hand over fist....not enough population for a 200 multimedia (TV and radio) contract that they have the luxury of in the big-markets......not just singling out NY.

Heck, it's well-known that Ewing Kauffman almost never made a significant profit when he owned the Royals.

Nothing wrong with liking your team.......even when they do spend 200 mil!!!!

Dal
  • Options
    At the risk of being called an idiot, I vote NO! I do not want to buy a championship.
    Wise men learn more from fools than fools learn from the wise.