Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My dealings with PSA at the National

A couple weeks ago I won a 1998 Bowman Chrome PSA 10 Peyton Manning card off of Ebay. When I received it, I noticed frayed edges along the top of the card and a scratch on the right side of the card. From reading these boards, I learned that PSA will make good on a card if they feel it was overgraded. So knowing that I was going to the National, I brought the card along and brought it over to the completely unorganized PSA booth. After waiting 15 minutes in some sort of line to talk to someone, finally I was helped. The man told me that I needed to submit the card to be regraded, and if it came back lower than a ten they would pay me the difference or buy back the card as a 10. So this man left me a submission form and dissappered. When I was finished completing the submission form, I waited another 10 minutes to talk to a girl. I explained what the man had told me, and she then told me that he must have been mistaken because PSA doesn't do that. So she brought him over and he told me he was wrong and if I was unhappy with the card I would have to contact the Ebay seller.

So I then asked to speak to somebody else who basically told me the same thing. He said that all grade disputes must be made within 5 days. I asked him who would ever make a dispute after receiving a 10. I then started to get pretty mad and he told me he would be right back and took the card back to the hidden graders. He came back and said the grader said there is no way this should be a ten so we will make an acception and buy it back from you. They couldn't do it right there so I am supposed to call on Monday and get it straightened out. Very frustrating overall. Basically, CLCT is a public company and that's who you are dealing with. Shareholders, bottom lines and profits come before the customer. I got some Star basketball cards graded at GAI and they were some of the most pleasant people to deal with.

Comments

• Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805

<< <i>profits come before the customer >>

I wonder where they think the profits come from. Discouraging, overall. Personally, I think if faith is lost in the high grade PSA cards, submissions will become a mere trickle. Which is why I think PSA should be more aggressive about fake PSA holders. But, what do I know? Please let me know what happens in the end.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    What seller did you buy the Manning from?
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    Sorry to hear you had such a hassle, my experience with PSA at the National was great, I submitted a 2 hour turnaround card and saw that it was ready 45 minutes later when I saw a box with my name on when walking by, hope everything works out for you.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eadams

Sorry to hear about this.

If you have the time, I would chronolog the events - time you waited etc. - write a nice letter to the CEO and rhetorically ask - with SGC and GAI making a run for my grading dollars, why should I take this type of treatment?

Plain and simple - if they didn't know the SOP for your request, then they weren't trained and this is truly a company making money in spite of itself!

I don't mind mistakes being made - with the grade etc. But customer service? The Hallmark of any company - it's what it is all about.

Perhaps if Mr. Orlando is reading this thread, he should contact you and explain what happened. And yes, he or his designated representatives OWE their clients an explanation for any breach is customer protocol.

Now, if you want to be cute - just write the letter and ask them: are you guys new?

Good luck, hope this turns out OK.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks Stoney, maybe I will write a letter.

I bought the card from 1stgumby. Here's the link
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks Stoney, maybe I will write a letter.

I bought the card from 1stgumby. Here's the link >>

Did you scan the card to save?
    It's hard to see the pic?

Real sorry to see this - but if they give you your money back? Alright!!!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    No I didn't scan it. But with the large scratch and frayed top I'd say it was a 7 at best.
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    I explained what the man had told me, and she then told me that he must have been mistaken because PSA doesn't do that. So she brought him over and he told me he was wrong and if I was unhappy with the card I would have to contact the Ebay seller.

I wonder when this change in policy was made? I also had always heard that they had a buyback policy.

To be fair, beckett grading doesn't offer any kind of real guarantee on their cards either. I don't know about the other slabbers out there.
  • Options
    SoutherncardsSoutherncards Posts: 1,384 ✭✭

<< <i>To be fair, beckett grading doesn't offer any kind of real guarantee on their cards either. I don't know about the other slabbers out there. >>

SDavid - since you posed the question, here's is SGC's version from their website:

"SGC guarantees that all cards submitted shall be graded by SGC grading experts in accordance with SGC grading procedures. In the event the original submitter of an SGC card believes that the card has been overgraded with respect to such procedures, the original submitter may resubmit that card to SGC for a review of the assigned grade. THIS RESUBMISSION MUST BE REQUESTED WITHIN 30 DAYS OF RECEIPT FROM SGC.

If the grade determined under such review is lower than that originally assigned to the card, SGC shall, at SGC's option, either replace the card or pay the difference between the current fair market value of the card at the newly established grade and the current fair market value of the grade originally assigned to such card. Due to the volatile nature of the sportscard market and Internet auctions/sales, the selling prices in these auctions do not necessarily represent the current fair market value of any particular sportscard. SGC will determine the current fair market value of a card which is assigned a lower grade on review, based upon what SGC believes to be reliable current market information. Clerical errors with respect to the description or grade of the card(s) which would be obvious upon inspection shall not be subject to the SGC guarantee stated herein".

Now, I'm counting the moments before this post gets "poofed" !
  • Options
    Doesn't sound that difference from PSA's...

"If PSA, in fact, concludes that the card in question no longer merits the PSA grade assigned or fails our authenticity standards, PSA will buy the card back from the submitter at the current market value. The current market value is determined by PSA, based in part on SMR values and/or recent prices realized from the marketplace. PSA has sole discretion in regards to the buyback price."

I didn't notice anything about 5 days, but I do notice that in both cases, the companies offer the buyback to the submitter, not the person who purchases the card from the submitter. Which, in the case of overgraded cards, makes the guarantee pretty meaningless to those of us who purchase aftermarket rather than submitting ourselves.

That's disappointing; I'd kind of thought this kind of guarantee offered some level of consumer protection in case a card slipped through the cracks at PSA/SGC/wherever. Guess not.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    "In the event the original submitter of an SGC card believes that the card has been overgraded with respect to such procedures, the original submitter may resubmit that card to SGC for a review of the assigned grade. THIS RESUBMISSION MUST BE REQUESTED WITHIN 30 DAYS OF RECEIPT FROM SGC.
    >>

So, in other words, SGC is saying you have to contact the guy you bought it from on eBay
    and have him take it up with SGC, and if it's been more than 30 days since he had it graded, forgot about it altogether ?

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    this is my very recent experience with a psa graded card that looked overgraded. i mailed it to psa with some other cards i was having graded. i attached a letter to the card asking them to look at the card to see if it met the qualifications for this grade. about 3 weeks later i got a call from psa. they offered my full smr for the card or free grades worth more than smr.
  • Options
    I don't even mind if they state their policy and the card can't be replaced or a refund given due to their own "window" of opportunity.

I just think it should be done is a classy way.

Heck, tell the customer - "we're sorry, but....." and then turn around and give them a stack of vouchers for future gradings.

That's what I do to stir "internal" marketing and to "patch" up an error - just my take on customer service - the PROCESS - rather than the specifics.

I don't like seeing anyone mishandled.

It's far cheaper to keep the customers you have than do go out and recruit new ones.

mike

Mike
  • Options
    I turned in an autographed 1948 Bowman Pee Wee Reese card on Friday along with another 20 card 7 day submission. Well, I picked the Reese card up on Saturday and just looked at the holder and grade that they had given it. Well on my way back home today, I got the card back out along with my other purchases and noticed that PSA listed on the flip the card as Stan Musial instead of Pee Wee Reese. I think it's pretty sad when you pay $25 (normally $20 for Reese but it was $5 higher for the show) and PSA can't do some sort of quality control. I usually submit at shows to save on the shipping, so now I guess to have it corrected I am going to have to cover the cost of shipping in sending back to them when PSA is the one that screwed up. What do others normally do when a PSA flip is wrong. Does PSA pay for the shipping of the card to and from them?
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    That stinks, Ruthfan, and it's my number one beef with PSA. Quality control on the labels, that is. They will fix it free of charge and ship it back to you at their expense - I usually fill out a submission marked "Other - Mechanical [yeah right - ed.] Error" and use a Sharpie to circle the error on the flip. I'm not sure about reimbursing you for the shipping to PSA. I've heard of them giving grading vouchers to offset that cost, but I've always had to eat the cost of shipping to Newport Beach when I've had to send stuff back for relabeling.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>eadams

Sorry to hear about this.

If you have the time, I would chronolog the events - time you waited etc. - write a nice letter to the CEO and rhetorically ask - with SGC and GAI making a run for my grading dollars, why should I take this type of treatment?

Plain and simple - if they didn't know the SOP for your request, then they weren't trained and this is truly a company making money in spite of itself!

I don't mind mistakes being made - with the grade etc. But customer service? The Hallmark of any company - it's what it is all about.

Perhaps if Mr. Orlando is reading this thread, he should contact you and explain what happened. And yes, he or his designated representatives OWE their clients an explanation for any breach is customer protocol.

Now, if you want to be cute - just write the letter and ask them: are you guys new?

Good luck, hope this turns out OK.

I was at the National and heard several dealers complain about the service at PSA, and the comments were a lot more positive about GAI - for the record I do not own a single GAI card and all of mine are in PSA slabs.

I thought that the editorial piece in the front of the latest SMR written by Joe was childish and petty, and it only lends support that other companies are out there by his comments. If SGC and GAI do not pose a threat to PSA and if they are less reputable companies whose grades are not worth the piece of paper they are on why write an entire piece on them in the SMR?
    "Why is it that Superman could stop a bullet with his chest, yet he ducked when somebody threw a chair at him?"
    "
    " Go ahead and get your fancy barely visible cell phones that get the internet, play DVD's, and can speak 5 languages. As for me and my Atari cell phone it works, it weighs 7 pounds, it is 14 inches long, and it looks like I could call in an airstrike from a remote desert it is so large!"
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    I havent really sent in a lot of cards for submission. Maybe a couple dozen to both PSA and BGS, but will tell you that my customer service opinion was better at BGS than PSA, although I have since learned that Beckett grades questionable cards and I do not think highly of their grading service at all.

As far as the CSR, as a beginning submitter, I had personal contact with BGS people who called me to rectify a problem that I had caused when filling out the submission form. I felt that was pretty good and with my first submission to PSA, it was a 45 day submission that took nearly 5 months to ship back. I realized that this was due to the graded card explosion that happened a few years back, but PSA offered no apology, no free submissions or anything to say "Hey, we're sorry you spent $400 submitting cards that it took us almost 3 months longer than we said it would take". Ever since then, I am wary of their CS area, but still feel that they are the better of the grading companies.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    FYSFYS Posts: 194

<< <i>

<< <i>
    "In the event the original submitter of an SGC card believes that the card has been overgraded with respect to such procedures, the original submitter may resubmit that card to SGC for a review of the assigned grade. THIS RESUBMISSION MUST BE REQUESTED WITHIN 30 DAYS OF RECEIPT FROM SGC.
    >>

So, in other words, SGC is saying you have to contact the guy you bought it from on eBay
    and have him take it up with SGC, and if it's been more than 30 days since he had it graded, forgot about it altogether ? >>

To the contrary, SGC's written policy is much stricter than reality. There are several published examples of them buying back cards many years and many different owners after they were graded. They were the first and only with a guarantee for some time. I believe they take pride in this and I do not think any company can equal SGC's customer service in this aspect.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Without being there, I have an idea of what was happening.

PSA hired some people to work the booth anticipating (and apparently getting) a big turnout with lots of people. I can't help but think that 15 minutes isn't that long of a wait time for being able to speak directly with PSA.

You had a couple of people who had conflicting information (the first rep was correct, though), and the second rep was the one in the wrong.

Though you did have that conflict, I'm not really sure why you found it so frustrating? I don't suppose they want to be buying cards back right there on the floor, and I am sure they will reimburse you for shipping the card to them.

I understand you're frustrated that you spent over $100 on a card and feel you got the short end of the stick...but PSA is willing to make good on an error on their part.

GAI is (obviously) a much smaller company so they have to do whatever they can to win over customers. It's the same in any business. And yes, because PSA is publicly traded, they have a responsibility to be profitiable. But to say they put profits before customers is misleading at best. People make mistakes, but to think that PSA is intentionally slighting people to remain profitable is just erroneous.

• Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    I (gulp) agree with Axtell on the service. Many vendors in all aspects of industry take on local hires for shows. It saves on travel and lodging expenses and salary costs. They might have used some employees of dealers in the area. The key here is to take the time to conduct a brief training or orientation so that you convey a consistent message. Relying on the "if you have a problem grab one of the senior people to help you" method may create image problems as in this case, especially when it gets busy.

The only non-PSA holders I own are waiting to be submitted to PSA when I list a registry set. PSA is the leader in vintage grading in my opinion.

I once had an issue with a card and sent it back addressed to Joe Orlando. In return I received a call from him explaining their opinion. My shipping costs were worth the personal service.

For the record I have less than 50 total PSA submissions so any preferential treatment is out of the question.

Keith
  • Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    When I spoke with Joe O late Saturday afternoon, he mentioned they had graded over 7,200 cards so far. He was dealing with everyone's request of ... "My flight is leaving in 2-3 hours - can I get a rush grade on the card?".
  • Options
    Was just across the street in chi-town a few weeks ago taking a medical licensing exam. I would've rescheduled if I would have known. image
  • Options
    I've called everyday since the Tuesday after the show and asked to speak to the man I dealt with. I leave messages everyday with him. No response.