Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

July vacation finds #3 (T205 tobacco card)

As I mentioned in the last post, I found a great vintage card shop in Butte, MT, and bought a 1911 T205 Gold Border tobacco card to fill in a spot in my Senators/Twins type collection. I picked this card because of the fun nickname -- "Germany" -- and the quote in his bio that he is "...the star comedian of his team."

imageimage

Nice addition to the collection I thought...

hh

Comments

• Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    HH: Nice 205. Will you get it graded?
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭
    Hey, Mac,

I wasn't even considering sending this in to get graded, but, after looking at the SMR, it might be worthwhile. I paid the asking price of $40 for this card. SMR in PSA 5 is $110. Would you agree this is probably a PSA 4 due to the corner wear and minor paper loss?

This is the first tobacco card I've ever owned, so I'm not familiar with the ins-and-outs of these cards...

hh
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Nice card! He was the comedic baseball star of his day. (And also the player pictured on the only card I bought at the National, an E92 Dockman & Sons.) Many of the players interviewed by Lawrence Ritter for The Glory of Their Times mention Schaefer's exploits. It's a great read; you oughta check it out if you already haven't.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    HH: tough question. The corners look OK to me ("very minor rounding") and the bottom left is just a question of the chipping of the gold coloring. I don't know if this is a "minor chipping" or something more. I've just only started picking up a few 205s. If I had to bet, I'd say a 4, but it might be a 5. It's not a bad price, either way. These cards are very attractive, IMO, especially the American Leaguers. I'm sure there are guys on the forum who could give you a better guess, though.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HH
    Another great item! Those are tough cards.

I remember getting one on approval in the mail from Alan Hager - it was graded 8PQ or something - the upper left corner had a visible crease! I sent it right back and said - "Not interested" - his ASA grading was handling all his buys from shows at the time - 1992.

On the card - lower left has quite a chunk of paper loss - gonna be hard to get a 5?

congratulations on a great road trip
    thanx for sharing
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    yawie, What a coincidence you picked up the same player at the National! You (or others?) may have mentioned that book before. I'm going to have to find a copy and read it. eBay here I come!

(OT, I did buy some books on the road trip, too:
    1. (From the same antique store I bought the '64 Topps coins) an 1899 edition of Mark Twain's "The Prince and the Pauper" for $5 (50% off!);

2. an 1879 first (and only??) edition of "General Grant Abroad - A complete account of his famous trip around the world" for $15;

3. a 1929 edition of "Ralph Waldo Emerson - Complete Writings", which is a collection of some great inspirational writings for $25; and

4. a 1916 edition of a book by an author named Harold Bell Wright called "When a Man's a Man" for $5 (50% off again), which really grabbed me when I started scanning the first few pages. It may provide some insights when I need them down the road.)

Mac and Stone, thanks for the thoughts on getting the T205 graded. It's just going in my type collection, so it's not a high priority. I just hope I don't get hooked on another set...(time to start reading "When a Man's a Man", eh?! image )

hh
  • Options
    HH: either way, it's a nice card. The 205s are pieces of art.
  • Options
    With that corner, you won't see a 5, more likely a 4. The staining combined with the corner may even result in a three. My Cobb looks similar.

• Options
    warrior,

That's what I was looking for -- someone with some experience in T205 grading. Thanks for sharing! I wouldn't mind owning a Cobb card some day.

I think I'll just slip Germany in a penny sleeve and put him in the binder with the rest of the boys. I'll have to find an 8-1/2 by 11 size page to put that B18 blanket in so it can join the other Senators and Twins, too...

hh
  • Options
    Yeah, I mentioned that book not too long when I was showing off a T206 Lobert. Somebody said there's a CD version out that contains the audio of the original interviews. I'll definitely have to pick that up soon.

Anyway, I too would say that your Schaefer's probably a 4 due to the white on the lower left corner. Still it's not too far from some of my 5's, such as these two:

And while I'm on the Germany Schaefer kick, here's my National pickup:

• Options
    After I posted, I did a completed items search on Ebay. If you do the same for "T205 PSA 5" PSA 4, PSA 3 etc you will get a feel for the PSA or SGC grading. Again, the corner probably makes the card a 4. The staining may or may not bring it down. Vintage prices are going up and will hold or increase their value unlike most modern issues. Hang onto it, its a really nice looking card. BUY MORE WHILE YOU CAN!

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Glory of Their Times CDs

Here is the link for The Glory of Their Times CDs.

I have this set and it is great to play in the car while commuting. It hasn't lost its freshness yet.
  • Options
    omg, yawie, what bee-yew-tee-ful cards. I feel a set coming on...gotta hold on...can't quite get a grip...better take a shot of Cuervo and pass out before I do a 'Bay search...image

tkd, Thanks a lot for the link to the CD set! I've got it bookmarked and will be buying that when the cash is built back up after the vacation bills are paid up...

hh
  • Options
    Yeah, T205's with good color and clarity are sick! I got hooked after buying just one, a PSA 5 Snodgrass, who's another guy who's frequently woven into TGoTT thanks to his fabled muff of a flyball in the deciding game of the 1912 World Series. I've got close to 40 now and plan on slowly but surely finishing the set.

Anyway, I just realized I have one more Schaefer to show off. A tad dingy, but I really like the image and focus on this E90-1:

• Options
    Neat card that AC E90-1!

Didn't know they had makeup artists before the games back then...that's some wild red lips he's got!! image

I noticed in an old SCD price book that there are 208 cards in the T205 Gold Border set (not counting variations). That does almost sound doable taking your time and finding the right cards at the right price...

hh
  • Options
    Heh heh. My wife generally refers to my time on the computer, preparing submissions, etc. as "being gay" with my cards. When she saw a few of my Caramels, it just confirmed her suspicion.

Anyway, there are definitely some tough cards and variations in the T205 set that sell for much more than run-of-the-mill commons. And I'm not sure that I'll ever find or afford a Hoblitzell w/o stats variation - I don't know if it's at the T206 Magie level, but it's gotta be close. But the set does seem somewhat manageable. Maybe I'm just deluding myself on that point, but at the very least I doubt that I'll tire of it the way I have with a few other since-aborted set attempts.
  • Options
    Wow. When I searched for a thread on this T205, I found this one -- one of my first posts!

Looks like the consensus was it would come back a 4, which it did! I had forgotten about this thread...
  • Options

<< <i>Wow. When I searched for a thread on this T205, I found this one -- one of my first posts!

Looks like the consensus was it would come back a 4, which it did! I had forgotten about this thread... >>

That was quite some time ago Mike - alot of stuff....

I don't see Steve Yawitz around as much - I think he was doing a T206 set?

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>That was quite some time ago Mike - alot of stuff....

mike >>

I'm pretty sure he was working on that tobacco set. I wonder if he posted some of his pickups in your "Mail Call" thread. Who's gonna check through 10,000 posts??! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That was quite some time ago Mike - alot of stuff....

mike >>

I'm pretty sure he was working on that tobacco set. I wonder if he posted some of his pickups in your "Mail Call" thread. Who's gonna check through 10,000 posts??! image >>

I just did a google and he posts on sportstalk regularly.

I miss him over here - I never go to sportstalk - I'm affraid I may never come out!!!

Mike