Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Show and Tell: Weekend Purchases! Philippines OMM and French Toner, etc...

I hope eveyone had a great weekend! I also hope people don't get too annoying by me posting my coins all the time. I love taking pictures of them and sharing with the class.
These are my weekend pick-ups.
Comments are always welcome. Post a pic of you weekend purchase!!

1919 French 1 Franc. Judging by the price, I guess these are by no means scarce, but this is one of my favorite all time designs!

1918 French 2 Francs. Look at the toning on that one! Totally NT as far as I can tell.

Cherry Picked Two... Count'em TWO 19/1908 s/s/s US-Philippines 1 Centavo. (206.b) in Lymann L. Allen. Repunched Date and Mint Mark!
Any US-Phil collectors have an idea of the rarity of these? The premium over the normal 08 s listed in Allen makes it look scarce; who know?

A few other misc coins too, but I am trying to save for the Baltimore show. image
Thanks for looking!!!
Matt

Comments

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Very Nice!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    The 1918 2 francs is outstanding! Love the toning!!
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Nice coins. I picked up this Pewter Medal for MrsSpud this weekend. She is into the Great Exhibition. The pictures were from the seller but I cut and pasted them and attempted to correct the out of balance color (they had the obverse and the surrounding area looking bright red). I'll have to take a better picture once we get it in hand.
  • Options
    Ecos, Nice clear pics!
    What kind of camera did you use?
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice weekend snags, Ecos image
    I'll ask the same thing ... what camera are you using?
    And, we NEVER get tired of seeing nice pics of coins around here image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Nice! image

- Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    I love the 2 Franc coin image
    imageimage
  • Options
    Great colors on the 1918, nice photos to boot, what are you using for the close ups? image
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Ecos, it's true--we never get tired of your pictures! Especially when they're of such awesome coins! Congrats on the cherry-picking! I love the French Walkers and also the Philippine coins. JustHavingFun is our resident expert on these coins, and if you edit your title to mention Philippine coins, I'm sure he'll see the thread and comment.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    ecosecos Posts: 391
    Thanks so much for the comments everyone! image
    It is truly gratifying to be able to share these coins with everyone.

Nice medal Mr.Spud! I have seen a electro copy of a similar one; I'm sure Mrs. Spud will be thrilled!

As far as the photography: I use a 5 megapixel Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20. It has really great optics by leica. No tripod or copy stand. For the close ups of the MM and date, I just point the camera through a 16X loupe. It takes a little bit to get the hang of how far to put the loupe from the coin/camera, but I just take a bunch and one or two usually turn out.

I put "Philippines" in the title to see if we can lure Justhavingfun into this thread.

Thanks again all! image
    ~Matt

PS: For the US-Phil fans, there is also a 03 1/2 cantavo AU58 BN with this group that I have not had time to photograph.
  • Options
    Gosh Ecos, those two francs are beautiful. Congratulations.

And you're on quite a roll with the US-Philippines. First the 1903-S 10 centavo, which is a major rarity, and now the two 1908-S/S/S US Philippine Centavos, which are also really hard to find.

The top one looks -- from the scan -- to be a nice choice unc, which would mean that it's a multi-thousand dollar coin. For some reason, PCGS certifies neither the 1908-s/Horned S nor the S/S/S. But it has obvious diagnositics; one under image sticking out to the north; the other to the south ... and the repunched mint mark, which your photographs captured beautifully. If you certify the coin, and if it grades as high as I think it will, you have a coin there that's worth at least several thousand dollars.

Mad Marty finds some unappreciated (and wildly undervalued) US Philippine proofs ... Then he finds that beautiful and rare 1945-S US-Philippine 5 centavo, 50% off center -- Then you find gorgeous unc key date 1903-S 10 centavos in a junk box ... and now these scarce to rare S/S/S 1908 centavos.

The US-Philippines is the last frontier in American coinage -- where you can still go to a dealer's shop and buy a hundred dollar coin for a nickel, and a thousand dollar coin for $10. Enjoy yourself and keep on building a great collection. Forget eBay! But them from lazy and ignorant dealers for a penny on the dollar. First come, first served! Enjoy! Just Having Fun

Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • Options
    ecosecos Posts: 391
    Justhavingfun, thank you for your encouraging and always knowledgable replys! It is certianly a thrill to be able to find nice and original coins like this at a reasonable price.

MadMarty sure does have some fantastic coins! That OC 45-s is a super coin!!!

One interesting thing about the s/s/s coin in the lower photograph is that is has some planchet flaws across the upper half of the reverse and is struck through what looks to be a wire on the obverse above "TAT" in "STATES". I don't know if that adds to any value but it certianly makes it unique! Error and Variety all in one.

Thanks again for all the comments everyone image
  • Options
    GDJMSPGDJMSP Posts: 799
    Really like the 2 franc - very nice image
    knowledge ........ share it
  • Options

<< <i>The 1918 2 francs is outstanding! Love the toning!! >>

I never tire of looking at pics of coins! Super! image
    ~Debbie~