Home U.S. Coin Forum

What do you think of this 1939 Jefferson w/ reverse crack?

Hey, I did it - potsed a picture in my message!!

Any opinions on this?

Comments

• DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Looks like damage to me image.

-Daniel
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Someone took a hit at it with something...maybe a screwdriver or a blade of some type. Definitely man made damage though.
    Bob Piazza
    Attributer/Photographer
    coppercoins.com
  • I agree with the consensus that the crack was man made after the coin left the mint. If the die cracked there would be a raised line rather than a knife like cut...
  • LALASD4LALASD4 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭
    Damage
    Coin Collector, Chicken Owner, Licensed Tax Preparer & Insurance Broker/Agent.
    San Diego, CA

Thanks for all the replies!!

(even though it wasn't exactly what I wanted to hear)

I have a few more I'll try to post (for your opinions)
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    it appears to be a scratch, HOWEVER, it is possible the coin was struck on a damaged planchet, in which case, the coin would have some $$$ value

K S
  • dork,

how do I find out?

should I bring it to a dealer?
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    if the coin was scratched post-mint, the edges of the scratch should be raised up, ie. the scratch displaces the metal, it has to go somewhere, & where it goes is above the surface of the coin.

if the planchet was scratched pre-mint (which is what you want), then the edges of teh scratch will be perfectly flush w/ the surface. this could be worth a nice little premium.

you need excellent magnification to see. find a dealer w/ a good binocular scope to look at it for you.

GOOD LUCK!!!

K S
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post mint damage. If that scratch occurred prior to striking, the 60 tons of pressure during striking would have closed the scratch almost completely. Also, that coin is well worn. If the scratch occurred early in the life of that coin, the displaced metal would have mostly worn away during that coin's many years of circulation.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭✭
    60 tons? Hmm.........I wonder what our new 3000 ton stamping press at work would do to a coin? Time for a clandestine experiment image
    imageimage

• ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    99% sure it's post-mint damage.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file