Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sac observations

mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
We have about 20 sacs at home left over from post office visits and I went to look through them just to see what might be there. To my suprise...only two dates 2000 and 2001 with 4-2001's and 16 2000's. That seems kind of wierd, no other dates in circulation?

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bingo.
    Gotta buy the others from the USMint ($37.50 per roll of 25 I believe) or from Mint Sets

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    richbeatrichbeat Posts: 2,288
    You won't find any dated 2002-2005 unless they were placed into circulation by someone. I have found one 2002D so far. image
  • Options
    I have put 2002 thru 2004 P & D into circulation from mint rolls, about $30.00 to 40.00 of each mint per year.
    Bob
    LOOKING FOR PCGS MS 68-SACAGAWEAS AND MS67 SBA'S
    DID I WIN???
    RATS
    I NEVER WIN.
  • Options
    EvilMCTEvilMCT Posts: 799 ✭✭✭
    I've found one 2002 P; change from the post office.

Ken
    my knuckles, they bleed, on your front door
  • Options
    I always get plenty of 2000 and 2001, once in a while I've gotten 2002, probably 3-4(all D's) and 1 2004-D, but no 2003's or 2005's.
    - There are 10 kinds of people in this world...those who understand binary and those who don't!
  • Options
    Why would anyone buy the 2002 - 2005 rolls from the Mint, at their prices, and then put them into circulation?
  • Options
    Why not? Good way to get some other Sac dates into circulation, and hopefully it will end up making some collector's day down the road...
  • Options
    He probably picked the 2 or 3 decent coins from the roll and put all the marked up ones in circulation. SAC mint rolls are hit and miss as far as finding really nice ones.
    Owner of Acccent on Coins, located in Everett, Washington. ANA #R3120661
  • Options
    F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Why would anyone buy the 2002 - 2005 rolls from the Mint, at their prices, and then put them into circulation? >>

Because you will be left with the crappy ones that are not worth selling. Might as well use them as money.
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course you have to watch for the '00 prototype reverse.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Of course you have to watch for the '00 prototype reverse. >>

Been watching for that Cherios sac. I went through mine that I pulled from circulation. Nada.
    Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer
  • Options

<< <i>Why not?.. >>

Because if you include shipping charges, your $1 Sac you put into circulation really cost you about a buck sixty one. I guess it's not THAT much money to be worried about, it just seems a little weird. Don't get me wrong, though, I admire those who buy the Mint rolled Sacs for $40.45 a roll (with shipping) and then put them into circulation at face value. Right on. Come spend some in my town. Please. Only problem is, I bet very few individuals would even notice the date.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Why not?.. >>

Because if you include shipping charges, your $1 Sac you put into circulation really cost you about a buck sixty one. I guess it's not THAT much money to be worried about, it just seems a little weird. Don't get me wrong, though, I admire those who buy the Mint rolled Sacs for $40.45 a roll (with shipping) and then put them into circulation at face value. Right on. Come spend some in my town. Please. Only problem is, I bet very few individuals would even notice the date. >>

Once again, you are making a bunch of ASSumptions...

1) You are ASSuming that someone is ONLY buying that 1 item from the mint in that order. Many people buy multiple things so the shipping is neglible.
    2) Even given that muiltiple items are ordered and the shipping charge is neglible, there is still the Mint's overcharge on the item....BUT, there people that pull out the premium ones, get them slabbed, put into their registry sets or sell.
    2a) If they are good enough for registry set, the person gets pride in doing it themselves and also may save money by not spending too much buying from someone else (top pop)
    2b) If selling, they could sell some high end ones (usually have to slab them PCGS or maybe NGC) and still make a profit all things told.
    3) Buy some very nice examples on ebay, raw, and see how much it costs PER Sac$, including shipping. $3+???
    4) Not everyone has a local shop/show where they can get them, and, this year, the Mint sets are satin finish, so where else can one get the normal finish? Rolls from the US Mint. Now, if they do that, and want a couple, and the rest are too marked up, what should they do with them? Hoard them?

There are many good reasons that people get the rolls and release "non-released" coins into circulation.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    I guess you missed the part where I thought it was cool to put them into circulation and admire those who do - regardless of what they do with the good ones or if they assemble a registry set or throw them into a hole somewhere. Seriously.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file