Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think of this Missouri commem?

I considered bidding for this coin in the Heritage auction, but decided against it. I personally like the look of the original toning (others may disagree), definitely looks in original undipped conditon to me. Ended up selling for what one would expect. The auction description seems very positive (but aren't they all). Was I correct to pass, what do you think? I really wish I could have seen this coin in person to decide for myself, but oh well, I see this coin often enough to know I'll have another chance eventually.

BTW, that holder sure is scratched up though!

Missouri 2x4 MS64

Comments

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree that might be one to see in person. It does have eye appeal in the pics, and looks to have some interesting color on the lower obverse, but it is hard to say how it would translate in hand...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    I actually saw that Missouri in person last week at the Pre-ANA show in Santa Clara. I liked it a lot but did not love it. I did bid on it however and did not win it. As you know, the Missouri is just such a tough issue to find with real attractive toning. The toning on this one was certainly appealing but I'm hoping to find a nicer one... someday???.
    I assume ofcourse though that a nicer one will be more $... doesn't it always work out that way?image
    I saw a very nice example with pretty rim toning and nice luster in NGC MS64 at the ANA in San Fransisco on Wednesday. I didn't "pull the trigger" and when I went back on Saturday, it was ofcourse sold! As the old saying goes, "image or get off the pot!!!" Well I was soon over the fact that I didn't snag that Missouri when I picked up the coin below which I've shared on the forum. All I can suggest is what other's have suggested to me, "Be patient and wait for the right one for you"... it's out there!image

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    From the Heritage pictures I think somebody paid up on this one, no bargain price. The coin must look better in hand as Dizzyfoxx says but the pictures do not appeal to me at all.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭
    DizzyFoxx cant stop showin off his Arkansas Commem, He must be one proud papa! image

TorinoCobra71

• Options

<< <i>DizzyFoxx cant stop showin off his Arkansas Commem, He must be one proud papa! image

TorinoCobra71 >>

imageimageimage

• Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    The Missouri looks too dark and the picture gives a grey appearance. I bought a much nicer looking PCGS MS 64 Missouri from Pinnacle several months ago.
    Trime
  • Options
    Somewhat mixed opinions as I expected. It's been my experience that Heritage's pics are almost always too dark, in hand the color is almost always lighter. I've seen the coins dizzyfox has posted, and he's the only one who actually saw this coin in person so I believe him if he says the toning was appealing, makes me almost wish I had placed a bid.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Looks like a nice Missouri.

<< <i>All I can suggest is what other's have suggested to me, "Be patient and wait for the right one for you"... it's out there! >>

Dizzy this is so true, yet so hard to do!image
  • Options

<< <i>Somewhat mixed opinions as I expected. It's been my experience that Heritage's pics are almost always too dark, in hand the color is almost always lighter. I've seen the coins dizzyfox has posted, and he's the only one who actually saw this coin in person so I believe him if he says the toning was appealing, makes me almost wish I had placed a bid. >>

I really wouldn't "kick yourself" to much... Like I mentioned before, the coin was appealing but not one that I had to have! The one I saw Wednesday at the ANA was even nicer than the Heritage example and I didn't jump on that one either. Basically when I first started buying these treasures (which wasn't very long agoimage) I was buying the first one of a particular coin that I found appealing. I have since fine-tuned my buying method and will only "spring" for a commem that I feel just has that "Must Have" factor. Again, even though appealing, both Missouri's (Heritage and ANA show examples) didn't have that "Must Have" factor for me.image

• Options

<< <i>

I really wouldn't "kick yourself" to much... Like I mentioned before, the coin was appealing but not one that I had to have! The one I saw Wednesday at the ANA was even nicer than the Heritage example and I didn't jump on that one either. Basically when I first started buying these treasures (which wasn't very long agoimage) I was buying the first one of a particular coin that I found appealing. I have since fine-tuned my buying method and will only "spring" for a commem that I feel just has that "Must Have" factor. Again, even though appealing, both Missouri's (Heritage and ANA show examples) didn't have that "Must Have" factor for me.image >>

Thanks, I feel better nowimage

It's just so many Missouri's I have seen either have ugly toning, or if white have a dipped out appearance. Well I'll just have to continue the hunt, that what makes this hobby so fun right!
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I started on Classic Commems in January 1998. In all this time looking for the two Missouri in MS 64 I managed to only buy one blast white and one totally toned examples. I would like to buy more in this grade but I have not found anything with eye appeal that is priced well enough for me. The Missouri design is one of my favorites.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file