Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Took a walk on the darkside while in SF - S-2267.

Was enjoying the gold at Gold Rush Gallery and fell for this coin - the history, the look, the time period (early 16th century), etc. It's a GB Sov., S2267 with Henry VIII-th, PCGS AU50. DO world coin collectors usually slab coins?? imageimage

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Monster Darkside coin!!! Welcome home, Sir!!! May your walk on the Darkside prove enjoyable, fascinating and long-lived!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May your walk on the Darkside prove enjoyable, fascinating and long-lived!!

Thanks! imageimage
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    CoinAddictCoinAddict Posts: 5,571
    Very nice. I take it that was your first darkside purchase. If so congratulations and feel free to stop by anytime you like.image
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>DO world coin collectors usually slab coins?? >>

With so many fake coins and coins with problems, you will see more and more coins in slabs. Especially with the advent of eBay.

Nice coin.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Well all I can say is.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    Marty:

Thanks - that means alot coming from you! imageimage
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome Darkside gold, Lakesammman image
    Some of us slab 'em ... some of us crack 'em out. image
    You just keep 'em the way YOU like 'em image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Very Nice! image I've slabbed a lot of German coins. - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Wow, nice coin!

"DO world coin collectors usually slab coins?? "

No, but it's becoming more common on high end coins.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Wow!!!.image
    A super coin.
    I am slabbing more and more of my coins.
    Tony Harmer
    Web: www.tonyharmer.org
  • Options
    Here's a write up on the coin from one of the former owners. Interesting reading.

In our current list we have the good fortune of offering one of the finest hammered gold coins we have ever owned. Struck between 1526 and 1544, during the reign of Henry VIII, this extremely rare piece was the largest gold denomination of the day. First conceived of in 1489, the sovereign denomination had been introduced under Henry VII at a value of 20 shillings and increased to a value of 22 shillings and sixpence for the second coinage of Henry VIII. The design is an impressive piece of Tudor workmanship. On the obverse Henry VIII is depicted enthroned with orb and scepter, surrounded by the legend HENRICVS DEI GRACIA REX ANGLIE ET FRANC DNS HIB, 'Henry, by the grace of God, King of England and France, lord of Ireland and Scotland.' The reverse is centered around an elaborate Tudor rose and circled by a legend from scripture, JESUS AUTEM TRANSIENS PER MEDIUM ILLORUM IBAT, But Jesus, passing through the midst of them, went his way. (Luke iv. 30). The surfaces of the coin are a rich medium yellow gold, showing a few hints of natural waviness due to the striking process. Like most large denomination medieval gold coins, the piece shows minimal circulation, as ordinary commerce would have been transacted with far smaller denominations. Happily this sovereign has not been impaired by cleaning, mounting or repair in its five and a half century existence. It seems that the beauty and rarity of hammered British gold coinage has attracted a number of new collectors in recent years, as prices have risen consistently for top-notch material. The Standard Catalog of British Coins (Spink) Guide notes that many coins in this series [hammered gold] now realise three times the prices of five years ago. Astute followers of the market will notice that the smaller denominations of hammered gold have risen far more dramatically than these grand sovereigns. Perhaps greater appreciation of this historical type is still to come.
  • Options
    ecosecos Posts: 391
    Nice coin Lakesmmman!!!
    I totally agree with Marty, "You Suck!" (meant in the nicest way possible image )
    I do not have any slabbed Darkside, but I see it becoming more common, especially with EBAY as others have said.

The darkside is calling you!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great coin... and there is no harm having it graded. Congrats on such a great addition to the collection. In some ways, I find coins like this affordable for what they really are.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Very nice coin.image