Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hypothetical: imagine this....

Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
....You are a gold coin collector who buys and studies gold coins like the good old Bass did, but you only started recently collecting these coins (You studied them for a longer time, but just with books and the internet, no coins). You recently started buying gold coins, and now you have several (say 7) gold coins in PCGS and NGC slabs (so they are already guarenteed authentic).

You are sure that you will be collecting these gold coins for a long time, so selling isn't important.

Question: Would you crack your gold coins out, and put them in boxes like a coin cabinet?? Would you do this for study? For the "feeling" of holding these coins raw? Sentimental reasons?

I will give my opinion laterimage

Dennis

Comments

• Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    Call me a schmuck, but I like the protection slabs provide. I figure, if it ain't broke, don't fix it image
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I agree with schmuck.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Being as though they are already in PCGS/NGC holders I would leave them alone - Especially gold coins, if they are dropped while viewing they will damage much easier than a silver or clad coin because of the softer metal.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Call me a schmuck, but I like the protection slabs provide. I figure, if it ain't broke, don't fix it image >>

I agree with schmucho also... If I want to feel the gold I would buy a circ coin to fondle!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's another vote for the schmuck.
    Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    I once turned a $5,000 MS-65 Gem into a $1,500 MS-64 by somehow just rubbing Libertys cheek by accident--Need I say more??image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Call me a schmuck, but I like the protection slabs provide. I figure, if it ain't broke, don't fix it

Okay, you are a schmuck.

I would be also afraid of damaging the coins while cracking them and subsequently storing them. A lot of Bass' coins had PVC damage from improper storage, including this one:

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you ever had to sell them during an emergency, how much less would you get selling them raw?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    No way I would crack out a gold coin, unless I was resubmitting it.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with the schmuck. Among the gold coins I own, two are raw. My brother-in-law once had a look at my collection, and he wanted to see something that was a big deal -- old, valuable, whatever. I handed him the MS $20 Saint in one of those plastic snap-lok thingies, and he promptly dropped it onto the floor. It landed hard on its rim and rolled across two steel workdesk feet before coming to a stop against the baseboard. If it wasn't a flat MS60 before, it is now. image

I decided to forego the gold page in my 7070; I keep those coins in their slabs, much as I would like to see them arranged like the others.
    mirabela
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116

<< <i>No way I would crack out a gold coin, unless I was resubmitting it. >>

here here. but still they make nice little items to display slabbed coins if you wanted to put them in a cabinet. i dont see any reason you would ever want to crack out gold coins even if you wasnt going to sell them
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's another vote for the schmuck. >>

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone guess how Dorkkarl would respond to this thread?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    I can appreciate the romance of fondling raw gold coins - perhaps you might even store them in a velvet-lined tray that fit into an antique coin chest. As I see it, if you value such pleasure more than the premium you paid for certified coins, by all means crack away.

I own a 1965 Porsche that I drive every day and occasionally show. At shows, I am always impressed by the true 'time-capsule' cars on display - not the shiny restorations that have been massaged and chrome-plated down to the last lug nut, but those vehicles that are forty years old or older that have been meticulously stored and maintained since new and maybe driven less than 10K in all that time. As survivors, these cars preserve the essence of their mark - and as comodities they trade for premiums beyond what their restored counterparts sell for on those rare occasions when they trade hands at all. But as a person who prefers to drive his vintage car in accordance with its designer's and builder's intentions, I often wonder where the value in those 'time-capsule' cars truly lies: is it in possessing a rare, static object whose primary purpose is now to be worshipped and waxed as it sits in the garage, or is it in getting behind the wheel of an original machine that thanks to forty years of effort and restraint still has much of its servicable life ahead of it? As I see it, slabbed coins offer a somewhat similiar proposition: is the joy of the hobby in holding and registering a bar of plastic for what you trust it contains, or is it in utilizing the plastic to make more assured purchases which you can then exploit in any way you choose?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file