Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

The National....from the eye of a Jayhawk

Well just got back last night from my first National, it was great to see so much vintage material in one place, I got in to Chicago friday morning so I was there all day fri and left Saturday about 4pm. I was looking for 33 Goudey cards for my set as well as unopened baseball packs from the 70's. I made some great pickups for my 33 Goudey set, finally got my #53 Ruth in PSA 5. along with some low number cards I have been hunting. There was surprisingly little unopened material available (Steve Hart's booth not included).

I would have to say that pre-WWII is on fire and prices are heading way up, almost every dealer I spoke to was selling the stuff like hotcakes in all conditions, there were good crowds but not as many people as I expected. The PSA on-site grading was hopping every day, I paid to have a card graded in the 2 hr time frame and it was done in 45 minutes, they did a great job. Was cool to look at first havd all of the cards in the big auction houses upcoming and current auctions...stuff is even more amazing in person.

The PSA set registry luncheon was fantastic and I think all participants would agree, Joe Orlando took any questions and discussed upcoming PSA services (the will be grading unopened packs in 2006...YES!), we can also expect to see a 50's grading special.....why? because we asked for it....that is listening to what the customer wants IMHO.

Last but not least, I want to thank the fellow board members who directed me to Giordanos (sp?) pizza, that was AWESOME pizza....I am still full! Well time to start saving $$$ for next year....

Comments

• Options
    I think I saw that card when I was there, but can't remember who had it.
    May I ask who you bought it from and how much?
  • Options
    Hey cmoking,
    I know you are a fellow Goudey collector, you and I have done many deals on ebay (my ebay id is ctdeano), I picked up the card from Tom Witek....he was sharing space with Shoebox cards. I picked the card up for just over 4k, and was very happy with that price....as you know the #53 Ruth is TOUGH in PSA 5 or better and anything over a PSA 5 gets spendy! I saw a nice PSA 6 at 707 cards but Levi would not budge off his $9600 price (it was very nice so I can't blame him). In fact the other low numbers I was looking for I got from Levi, he is a little expensive, but I saw no one even close to his selection of PSA graded Goudey cards.