Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why is MS Liberty weak compared to the rest of the details on this 1806 half?

fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
MS. Liberty is very weak compared to the the other deatails on this coin...any idea why? Please give grade opinions.

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might have something to do with that obv die crack causing the central portions of the obv to be weak..

I'd grade the coin Fine and think it was lightly "warshed off" at some time in the distant past.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Baley...the details are the weakest on the left side of MS. liberty, mainly her hair, that is the same side as the large die crack.

I am going to send this to PCGS....she's to pretty to be placed in a bodybag.image
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    it's a strong V F for the die-marriage & die-state. it is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS struck like this.

pcgs will undergrade it, since they pay no att'n to dm's.

K S
  • Options
    I paid VF money($255) for the coin. I figured it was a weakly struck VF.
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>it's a strong V F for the die-marriage & die-state. it is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS struck like this.

pcgs will undergrade it, since they pay no att'n to dm's.

K S >>

• Options

<< <i>I paid VF money($255) for the coin. I figured it was a weakly struck VF. >>

you done good. keep it, & enjoy the wonder of early u.s. coinage.

K S
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The O.116 die marriage in early die state can be very well struck, as this rare EDS with no reverse crack is 1806 O.116 EDS . Yours appears to be intermediate to late die state, where as Baley said the obverse die crack probably caused some sinking in the central left portion of the die, affecting the eagle's right wing as well. There is also lapping (polishing) of this die which will give a weaker appearance, on the next usage in 117 half of Ms Liberty disappears from excessive lapping.

My O.116 example is a very late die state that looks overgraded by ANACS until you examine the actual wear, and there is considerable luster in protected areas. The lower obv die crack is well advanced
    1806 O.116 VLDS . As dorkkarl said you gotta good deal, read the edge before you slab it.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Send it to NGC under variety plus and hope they take note of the normal strike characteristics on this marriage.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    777777 Posts: 1,056
    Could be due to the fact that ms liberty is the highpoint of the coin, thus; first to wear in circulation? or in [1806] these were struck either on steam operated presses; or hand screwed down presses with dies cracked and still in use image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Could be due to the fact that ms liberty is the highpoint of the coin, thus; first to wear in circulation? or in [1806] these were struck either on steam operated presses; or hand screwed down presses with dies cracked and still in use image >>

Steam powered presses weren't used until 1836.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My example in an Anacs F-12 holder. As you can see Liberty's hair on left side virtually blends right into the fields.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    bee-you-tee-full

K S
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks dorkkarl!!
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    stman...Your 1806 looks just like mine. They almost look like the same grade.

Dorkkarl...glad to hear I did good. I really liked the coin when I first saw it in the dealer's case, but the lack of details had me worried the coin had been "played with".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file